Confessional

May 21st, 2016 at 3:02:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Of course, these things are unknowable and are a matter of faith wherein there is a choice regarding belief; its sort of like reading a science fiction novel, one balances literary license and suspension of disbelief.
May 21st, 2016 at 3:05:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2016 at 5:17:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Wow, such a heart wrenching photo and challenging quote. There is no doubt that the only and most powerful argument an atheist can make is based solely on emotion.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 21st, 2016 at 5:30:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
There is no doubt that the only and most powerful argument an atheist can make is based solely on emotion.

The only argument we can have is
that god believers have no evidence
god exists. When you go looking
for god with an open mind, you come
back empty handed every time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2016 at 6:19:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
You absolutely could not be more wrong. Look in the mirror, look at other people, look at the world around you. If you had an open mind you naturally gravitate to the reality that there is a God. Then you think about the logic of things and how they must have come to be and then you will confirm in an open mind that God not only exists, but that He is necessary. You have nothing, no evidence, no logic, or reason behind your ridiculous claims and so you must resort to begging the question or exploiting our emotions to arrive at your conclusion.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 21st, 2016 at 7:18:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
You absolutely could not be more wrong. Look in the mirror, look at other people, look at the world around you. If you had an open mind you naturally gravitate to the reality that there is a God. .

Did you see what I posted on the psychology
of logic? You see god in all those things because
you have a bias. I have none, so I can see them
for what they really are. You see what you think
you'll see, you can't help it. Just like a radical
Muslim see's what only what he expects to
see. Religious bias clouds clear thinking every
time.

I was watching a docu today about the start
of the Crusades. They said we can't imagine
what Europe was like in the 11th century.
Every person was completely immersed in
the Catholic religion, they saw everything
through what the Church taught them to
see. Religious bias on a grand scale.
May 21st, 2016 at 7:26:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Wow, such a heart wrenching photo and challenging quote. There is no doubt that the only and most powerful argument an atheist can make is based solely on emotion.
I don't know where the text you refer to as a quote came from, but only the photo is emotional; the text is a simple presentation of a fundamental argument. We all make references to the tooth fairy, little green men from mars, fairy godmothers, Watchful Angel, etc. Why not Santa Claus?
May 21st, 2016 at 8:00:31 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Did you see what I posted on the psychology
of logic? You see god in all those things because
you have a bias. I have none, so I can see them
for what they really are.

One of the hallmark signs of having a bias is to think you don't have one. Do you think there is an atheist bias as well?
May 21st, 2016 at 8:02:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't know where the text you refer to as a quote came from, but only the photo is emotional; the text is a simple presentation of a fundamental argument.

It is a fundamental argument and a good one. Why would an all-powerful, all-good, all-knowing God permit evil to exist? It is not logical of course or rational, but it is a powerful emotional argument.
May 21st, 2016 at 8:54:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
One of the hallmark signs of having a bias is to think you don't have one. Do you think there is an atheist bias as well?

I don't know what it would be. Not believing
in something, like unicorns, doesn't mean
I wouldn't except it if I found one. I would
also accept god if I stumbled across him.
Still waiting. He's right behind Hobbits and
leprechauns

The funny thing about god, which do you
pick? There are so many. Does he tell you
which one he is? Suppose it's Loki the
trickster god, what then. You think I make
a joke, but I'm serious. You say god talks
to you, how do you know he's not Loki
tricking you.