14 members have voted

July 4th, 2014 at 8:39:16 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
I use Wiki mostly for the sources they
site. They've done all the real work
already.
I heart Wikipedia. I think it is the best site on the Internet. (Okay, best *clean* site on the Internet you freaks).
July 5th, 2014 at 3:42:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Wikipedia's motto is no original research. As a reference material it is perfunctory and unimaginative. I go there for precisely that reason, as I only want some simple facts. If it is banned as a reference for school papers, it should not be because it is often wrong.

In reality the Wikipedia is a good source of references. If you are writing a school paper, you just need to cite the references, instead of citing Wikipedia.

Exactly, but it has done something more. It has now become a template for specialized "wikis" on many subjects.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2014 at 6:18:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Regarding Wikipedia, my change to the Mountain Time Zone entry yesterday still stands, but somebody changed my entry for Jackpot back how it used to be. So, I changed it back again. For my own benefit, here is entry in Wikicode:

Jackpot is in the [[Mountain Standard Time Zone|Mountain Time Zone]]. The only portions of Nevada outside the Pacific Time Zone are Jackpot and [[West Wendover, Nevada|West Wendover]].

The wikipedia entry currently stands as below. The reference that says it is in Pacific Time Zone is: Time in Jackpot, Nevada Current local time in Jackpot, Elko County, Nevada, Pacific Time Zone

Are you going to keep battling this case? You need a better reference than the one they use. If you just undo their changes, they will bust you for undoing changes without getting consensus. They never really explain what a consensus is, I think it is only when the other guy gives up.

Quote: Wikipedia

Jackpot is legally in the Pacific Time Zone,[9] but, along with other Idaho border towns such as Jarbidge, Mountain City and Owyhee, unofficially observes Mountain Time,[10][11] due to its economic ties with the Magic Valley region of southern Idaho. The only portion of Nevada officially outside of the Pacific Time Zone is West Wendover.[12]

source

Jackpot is legally in the [[Pacific Time Zone]],<ref>{{cite web |url=http://24timezones.com/usa_time/nv_elko/jackpot.htm |title=Current local time in Jackpot, Nevada |work=24TimeZones.com |accessdate=2014-07-03}}</ref> but, along with other Idaho border towns such as [[Jarbidge, Nevada|Jarbidge]], [[Mountain City, Nevada|Mountain City]] and [[Owyhee, Nevada|Owyhee]], unofficially observes [[Mountain Standard Time Zone|Mountain Time]],<ref>{{cite web|url=http://www.timetemperature.com/tznv/jackpot.shtml |title=Jackpot, Nevada Current Local Time and Time Zone |work=TimeTemperature.com |accessdate=2014-07-03}}</ref><ref>{{cite web|url=http://OnTimeZone.com/exceptions.php |title=Time Zone Exceptions and Oddities |author=Steve Jones |work=OnTimeZone.com |archiveurl=http://web.archive.org/web/20140318195224/http://ontimezone.com/exceptions.php |archivedate=2014-03-18}}</ref> due to its economic ties with the [[Magic Valley]] region of southern Idaho. The only portion of Nevada officially outside of the Pacific Time Zone is [[West Wendover, Nevada|West Wendover]].<ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/jul/02/nevadas-tiny-town-different-time-zone/ |title=Nevada’s tiny town with a different time zone |author=Delen Goldberg |date=July 2, 2011 |publisher=[[Las Vegas Sun]] |quote=West Wendover is the only town in Nevada that runs on Mountain Time. Jackpot, an even smaller town in Elko County, unofficially observes Mountain Time but is technically part of the Pacific Time Zone. |accessdate=2014-07-03}} (quote in slide 4)</ref>
July 5th, 2014 at 8:07:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't plan to change the Wikipedia entry again, as I don't want to get banned. However, I still say that all tangible evidence favors Jackpot being in the MTZ. For example, the Post Office time and the placement of the "Entering Pacific Time Zone" sign on the highway. You have to dig up arcane documents on the Internet to support the other side.

I challenge anyone on the other side to find anyone in Jackpot to concede that they are just "unofficially" on Mountain Time.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 5th, 2014 at 8:53:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I don't plan to change the Wikipedia entry again, as I don't want to get banned. .

I changed it for you, and put a section in the Talk to justify the change. Let's see how many hours it lasts.
July 5th, 2014 at 9:15:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I changed it for you, and put a section in the Talk to justify the change. Let's see how many hours it lasts.

If you keep messing with it, they'll restrict
access, I've had it happen. Only people
on a list can change the page, you have
to apply to get on the list.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 5th, 2014 at 11:27:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin

It lasted 2:17. His response is pretty difficult to argue with as the United State Code of Federal Regulations says Jackpot is in Pacific Time (it specifies the boundary).

Quote: Code of Federal Regulation

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title49-vol1/xml/CFR-2013-title49-vol1-part71.xml

§ 71.9 Boundary line between mountain and Pacific zones.

(a) Montana-Idaho-Oregon.

From the junction of the Idaho-Montana boundary with the boundary between the United States and Canada southerly along the Idaho-Montana boundary to the boundary line between Idaho County, Idaho, and Lemhi County, Idaho; thence southwesterly along the boundary line between those two counties to the main channel of the Salmon River; thence westerly along the main channel of the Salmon River to the Idaho-Oregon boundary; thence southerly along that boundary to the boundary line between Baker County, Oreg., and Malheur County, Oreg.; thence westerly along the north line of Malheur County to the northwest corner of Malheur County; thence southerly along the west line of Malheur County to the southwest corner of T. 35 S., R. 37 E.; thence east to the Idaho-Oregon boundary; thence south along that boundary to the southwest corner of the State of Idaho; thence easterly along the Idaho-Nevada boundary to the northeast corner of the State of Nevada.

(b) Utah-Nevada-Arizona-California.

From the northeast corner of the State of Nevada southerly along the Utah-Nevada boundary to the junction with the northern border of the City of West Wendover, Nevada. Then westward along the northern, western, and southern boundaries of the City of West Wendover back to the Utah-Nevada boundary. Then southerly along the Utah-Nevada boundary, the Nevada-Arizona boundary, and the Arizona-California boundary to the boundary between the United States and Mexico.
July 6th, 2014 at 12:12:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It lasted 2:17.

That long?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 6:25:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
That long?
Two hours and 17 minute. People watch over these pages like hawks
July 6th, 2014 at 6:59:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The question for the poll is what time zone is Jackpot Nevada in?
Whatever time zone we darn well choose. (signed) Jackpot Chamber of Commerce.

Remember it was NOT the government that imposed four time zones on us, it was the railroads and prior to that just about every town called it "noon" when the sun was over their town.