July 6th, 2014 at 7:19:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Times in Jackpot:

July
Dinner Time.
Tea time.
Time to have another beer.
Time to plant crops, time to harvest them.

If you are an okay type of guy, you get your time from the hotel clock.

Else, you get your time from the court house clock.
July 6th, 2014 at 11:07:07 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I go with the .gov explanation and the fact that you have to apply with DOT to change your time zone, like Wendover did, like certain counties in Indiana did, and so on.

Jackpot is legally in Pacific time, and observes Mountain time. That said, the two signs below on US 93 clearly indicate the tranistion of timezones.

Now, I dare someone to take the signs and move it to the state line.

Mind you, West Wendover's (on i80) sign to mountain time is at the state line, where it shouldn't be (as of October 2013), so I would say these government signs aren't official.

I think we donate a jackhammer, some concrete mix, a pile of water, and a shovel, and send the Wizard on his way to correct the signposts of where the time zone borders are.
July 6th, 2014 at 11:18:25 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: boymimbo

This sign is on the southbound side of the highway as you leave town, implying you're still in the MTZ before you get to it.

Quote:

This sign would be on the northbound side of the highway, just as you enter the city limits. You can see Cactus Pete's (where I stayed) in the background.

Now, I don't know about Nevada, but I've been paying for litter clean up for about six months now and my sign in California still isn't up. Tons of red tape need to be processed before the CalTrans will put up a sign. My point being that the Highway Department just down't put up a sign any old place. I'm sure they researched to death where exactly the time zones changed. It wouldn't surprise me if the state of Nevada puts the line south of Jackpot and doesn't care what the federal government thinks. One could argue that per the Tenth Ammendment Nevada's position on the matter supersedes that of the federal government.

Quote:
I think we donate a jackhammer, some concrete mix, a pile of water, and a shovel, and send the Wizard on his way to correct the signposts of where the time zone borders are.

I would be tempted, but I'm fighting for the other side.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2014 at 11:28:27 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
The two signs are across the street from each other.

Given that the West Wendover sign is still wrong (it officially changed in '99) I really don't think Nevada cares. Someone in Jackpot probaby said to Elko County (who recognizes the time zone unofficially) that they need the sign there and there it went.

I don't see anywhere in Elko county's or the state of Nevada's documents that the time zone borders are changed, with the exception of West Wendover.
July 6th, 2014 at 12:10:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Okay, here is another key piece of evidence that Jackpot is in the MTZ, the Official State Highway Map.

You can magnify in on Jackpot and see that the time zone border goes around the town. For your benefit, I took some screenshots.

Here is a magnification of Jackpot. Note how the line goes around the town, putting Jackpot in the same time zone as southern Idaho, the MTZ.

For purposes of comparison, here is a magnification of West Wendover, also showing the line going around the town.

Lest anyone ask, here is another part of the map showing that the pink dotted line represents the time zone border.

I welcome constitution experts to challenge this, but per the Tenth Amendment, state law should supersede federal law in this matter, since time zone boundaries are not a power specifically given to the federal government.

To order your free Nevada highway map, click here.
July 6th, 2014 at 12:36:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I just changed the Jackpot entry back to the MTZ for a third time. This time I did it through my UK proxy server. For my own benefit, here are the changes made:

The time zone of Jackpot is subject to debate. Per the federal government, it is in the [[Pacific Time Zone]]<ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title49-vol1/pdf/CFR-2013-title49-vol1-part71.pdf |title=CFR 2013 Title 49 Volume 1 Part 71 STANDARD TIME ZONE BOUNDARIES |work=www.gpo.gov |accessdate=2014-07-05}}</ref>. However, per the state of Nevada, it is in the [[Mountain Standard Time Zone|Mountain Time]] <ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/NevadaHighwayMap2011-12.pdf |accessdate=2014-07-06}}</ref> due to its economic ties with the [[Magic Valley]] region of southern Idaho. Per the [[Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution|Tenth Amendment]], state law supersedes federal law in this matter, since time zone authority is not specifically granted to the Federal Government in the United States Constitution. The only other city in Nevada located in the Mountain Time Zone is [[West Wendover, Nevada|West Wendover]].

|timezone = [[Mountain Standard Time|MST]]
|utc_offset = -6
|timezone_DST = [[Mountain Daylight Time|MDT]]
|utc_offset_DST = -5

Here is what it actually looks like now.

Quote: Wikipedia
The time zone of Jackpot is subject to debate. Per the federal government, it is in the Pacific Time Zone,[9]. However, per the state of Nevada, it is in the Mountain Time [10] due to its economic ties with the Magic Valley region of southern Idaho. Per the Tenth Amendment, state law supersedes federal law in this matter, since time zone authority is not specifically granted to the Federal Government in the United States Constitution. The only other city in Nevada located in the Mountain Time Zone is West Wendover.
July 6th, 2014 at 12:45:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I just changed the Jackpot entry back to the MTZ for a third time.

Obsession: : something that a person thinks about constantly or frequently;
an activity that someone is very interested in or spends a lot of time doing.

This pic was next to the definition:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 12:47:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob

You got me there.
July 6th, 2014 at 12:49:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

This pic was next to the definition:

This one shows up on another definition:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 1:02:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
This one shows up on another definition:

Note how those pictures showcase two of my other obsessions, juggling and license plate collecting. Actually, juggling has taken a back seat lately because I have nobody to juggle with.