2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

November 6th, 2014 at 1:02:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
They are spline joints (not just holes)

I'm stunned that "spline" is a real word.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 6th, 2014 at 1:15:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Yesterday I downloaded an app on my phone that is basically an odometer and speedometer. I tried it out on about a half-mile circular paved path at Bill Braire park. Four laps amounted to 2.21 miles in 15:37. That comes to a speed of 8.5 MPH. If we deduct 15 seconds for the time to turn on the app, put it in its case, and the case in the backpack, and then mount the unicycle, and then reverse the whole process later, then I would be at 8.6.

This is, of course, a lot better than times I usually report. This is due to a nearly flat track and nothing to stop for. Plus, I gave it my best shot at a good time.

I also noticed on a dirt path elsewhere that I did three revolutions of that based on my tire track I had quite a bit of pitch. I'd estimate the horizontal distance from one extreme of a cycle to the other was about six inches. Hopefully that technique of holding onto the saddle will cut down on that. I tried it on the paved surfaces and it seemed to help a little.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 6th, 2014 at 6:31:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
A model of balancing upright on a unicycle with bifurcations is a little light reading.

I do remember Ace telling me he had to stay just under aerobic to do a 50 mile run through mountains. As a practical matter for him that meant running at 5.2 mph instead of 6.5-7 mph (normal marathon pace). Otherwise he would hit the "lactate threshold". According to this chart that would be about 120 bpm for a man your age.

I remember that he sped up the last few miles of the race so that he finished in 9:25:36 at age 50. It was amazing that he could sprint, but he said he wasn't running aerobically the entire race.

Free app that uses camera in phone to measure heart rate. If you want to store more than 5 minutes of data you have to pay.
November 7th, 2014 at 10:07:03 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
If you are in very good shape, does that mean your heart can beat faster than an out of shape person's when you exert yourself? Or does it mean that you can maintain the peak BPM for a longer period of time, even though an out of shape person's heart can beat just as fast at peak?
November 7th, 2014 at 11:46:35 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Ayecarumba
If you are in very good shape, does that mean your heart can beat faster than an out of shape person's when you exert yourself? Or does it mean that you can maintain the peak BPM for a longer period of time, even though an out of shape person's heart can beat just as fast at peak?

My heart beats slower now when I run than it did when I started, given the same, or even a higher pace.

I am not in 'very good' shape though... just enough of a shape that running 10km is no big thing any more, and an easy run to 21.km only takes an evening to recover from rather than a week.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 7th, 2014 at 11:50:36 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

If you're in shape, your heart beats slower. There's actually a thing called Athlete's Heart Syndrome whereby the heart grows larger and beats slower as an adaptation to constant physical rigors.

Were we all to engage in the same activities, I'd wager guys like Wiz and Cess would score a lower bpm than the rest of us, what with their runner backgrounds.

I know I've never found the typical stats to match my own. They say you rise to some 120bpm during sex. I bet mine doesn't raise that high in the worst of the hockey long shifts. I would be surprised if I got much over 100, as mine seems to just beat harder rather than speed up. I don't have a game for another week, but I'll try to remember to catch a reading next I play.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 7th, 2014 at 3:03:47 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Face
If you're in shape, your heart beats slower...

So is BPM an accurate measure of exercise, since it can vary so much between folks?
November 7th, 2014 at 3:09:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
If you're in shape, your heart beats slower...

So is BPM an accurate measure of exercise, since it can vary so much between folks?

I think it's useful once you zone in for yourself, and you can tell what bpm results in what sort of work. I tend to use the talking tests to find my rate. if I can carry on a conversation, that's an easy run, if I can speak a couple of words, it's a uptempo run, if I can't speak, it's a hard run. I am not sure on my bpm for each, though any more. Not worn a heart rate monitor in a year. I suspect it's about the same, but my speed is up from this time a year ago, so a hard 1km run is faster than a year ago, but I couldn't do it for any longer in distance.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 7th, 2014 at 3:15:00 PM permalink
beernuts
Threads: 0
I don't get the 4th option or why 3 people voted for it huh?
November 7th, 2014 at 3:57:33 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: beernuts
I don't get the 4th option or why 3 people voted for it huh?
It is a joke carried over from the Wizard of Vegas board. It caught on with the Wizard and others, so you will see it as an option on many polls.