Pope Francis

May 22nd, 2018 at 4:33:09 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Magdalene#Apostle_to_the_apostles
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 22nd, 2018 at 6:11:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
Yet still women can not be priests.

Yes, it is true women can not be fathers.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 22nd, 2018 at 6:21:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Your fatherhood is only symbolic. You don't drink blood and eat flesh either. Maybe you should pluck out your eye?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2018 at 6:31:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Yes, it is true women can not be fathers.

Neither can you!! They call you that as a
title, you aren't anybodies real father.
A woman could be just as much a
'father' as you are, probably even better.
You're every man who's ever been part
of an all mens club, you'll say and do
anything to keep women out. You
blame it on god, we know the real
reason. 60% of priests are Gay, and
the rest don't want their power usurped
by a mere woman.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2018 at 6:49:10 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Your fatherhood is only symbolic. You don't drink blood and eat flesh either. Maybe you should pluck out your eye?

It is true I am not a biological father to anyone, but I reckon we all know people who are father figures to us. Some of these people have done the same things as our real fathers have done for us maybe even more.

It is true that I do not consume the flesh and blood of Jesus, as it is so much more than that. The Eucharist is the Real Presence of Jesus Christ and since you and I are much more than our flesh and blood so it is with the Eucharist.

Aha, we finally get to an purely symbolic notion of the plucking our an eye or cutting off a hand. I think you can see the difference between this obviously symbolic phrase and the other two realities you referenced.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:47:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Some of these people have done the same things as our real fathers

They're called mothers in single parent
families, where the mom has to be the
father too. They would make a fine
authority figure as a priest if the male
ego's would just let them do it and
quit using god as the pitiful excuse to
keep them out.

Quote:
The Eucharist is the Real Presence of Jesus Christ

Yeah, that's hogwash. It's been proven over
and over with science that the wafer and
wine never change their structure in any
way during your mumbo jumbo Black
Magic ceremony. It's a symbol only,
like the pentagram in a pagan ceremony.
The 'realness' is all in your head. If you
believe otherwise, you've been duped to
the n'th degreeand there isn't much hope
you'll ever undupe yourself without
professional help.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:57:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Bob, I've decided not to respond to your ridiculous posts anymore. The more sane ones I will be glad to respond to. However, I just want you to re-read this post and compare it to what you have been complaining to others about me. Can you see the judgement, the anger, the meanness, the bigotry, the insults, and the false superiority you are spewing?
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:59:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I've been missing some good drama in this thread. I'll have to come by more often with my "ban" hammer.

Regarding the topic at hand, I take "father" in a similar way as the "founding fathers" of the United States. It's hard to put into words but I think we all know what I mean.

For what it's worth, the words for priest in Spanish are sacerdote and cura. The word for father, in a paternal sense, is padre. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent way to address a priest as "father" in Spanish.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 23rd, 2018 at 12:56:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Bob, I've decided not to respond to your ridiculous posts anymore.

That's because it's been proven with science
that nothing at all happens to the wafer and
wine in the magical ceremony, and you know
it. My ex priest friend says it's one of the
most ridiculous things he was taught as
a priest and he was embarrassed for those
that believed it.
May 23rd, 2018 at 5:47:07 AM permalink
FrGamble
Outside of the many Eucharistic miracles that I encourage anyone to look at there is not a physical change to the Eucharistic bread or wine. This is called transubstantiation. This is such a basic, yet important teaching of the Church that I am even surprised that you didn't know this. If your ex-priest friend didn't know or understand this fundamental point about the Eucharist I would doubt he was ever a priest at all.