Evolution and the Pope

November 14th, 2014 at 12:31:11 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: FrGamble
Evenbob that cartoon is ignorant, offensive, and blatantly false, twisted, and distorted. I ran out of adjectives, but may I please ask you to remove it. Thanks.

I am suprised Padre that EB's cartoon got under your skin so far. Obviously a devout Christian would not think it is funny, but to ask for censorship is a major step. It is only another step to how many of the Muslims deal with people who make fun of their religion.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 14th, 2014 at 2:21:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Kenarman, you are correct and I wonder now why that little cartoon got to me, I must have been in a bad mood, but nevertheless here we are in another good little conversation.

Quote: Nareed

Suffering is not unavoidable or inevitable. It's not desirable, it's not a good thing, and it's only the relief of suffering that is good, not the suffering by itself. To be sure pain, physical and emotional, is a certainty for all people, and many people will experience suffering, too, at various times. But embracing it as if it were good, or causing it as fi it were a virtue, is so abhorrent that the very idea should be fought and utterly destroyed.

I agree that embracing suffering or causing it for some false or pious virtue is disgusting, it is a good thing Christianity does not teach such things.

Nevertheless, the first part of the quote is true, suffering is a certainty for all people. What is the answer to this fundamental difficulty for humanity? Christ shows the world that we should strive to alleviate the sufferings of others whom we are called to love and that the only way one takes away the suffering of others is by wiling to undergo some suffering themselves. There is a purpose to the selfless life of sacrifice for others. It is so they do not have to suffer, we help lighten their burdens; but someone first has to be willing to not always think only of themselves and the natural desire to avoid all suffering (as if that was possible). Jesus sets in motion the movement that is meant to ultimately take away the suffering of the world, but alas it comes at a cost, namely our willingness to put others' needs above our own and be willing to help them by sharing or taking their burdens.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 14th, 2014 at 3:51:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Kenarman, you are correct and I wonder now why that little cartoon got to me,

All religions look silly to those looking in from the
outside. To us, the world is full to the brim with
totally conflicting religions and they all think
they're correct. The logical conclusion has to be
none of them are correct. Occam's Razor applies
here. The simplest explanation is the right one.
And that is, the universe has been here forever
and we are an eternal part of it. Takes no thought,
no intellect, just acceptance of what is. Like plants
and animals do naturally.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2014 at 8:23:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Bob please tell me how your logic works. Because there are many different, sometimes conflicting religions who all think they are correct, you conclude that none of them are true?!? In your math class different students get different answers to the same question, does that mean that none of them have the right answer? The simplest answer is not the one that takes no thought, no intellect - it is the one that makes the most rational sense. Acceptance of crazy ideas is not easy, at least it shouldn't be. Unlike the animals and plants we are thinking beings who should use our amazing brains and not just turn them off.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 14th, 2014 at 9:19:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Bob please tell me how your logic works. Because there are many different, sometimes conflicting religions who all think they are correct, you conclude that none of them are true?!? .

How can any of them be true when there is
no god. What you see is the result of people
stumbling around trying to figure out that
which can't figured out.

It's dangerous for you to discuss these things,
padre, and your brethren would tell you as
much. Stick to people of your own faith, you
want to bolster your beliefs, not rock them.
You would be very unhappy if you lost your
faith, don't test your resolve. You are the seeker
here, not us. You have a community of like
believers you're part of, cherish that and give
thanks for it. That's what makes religion so
precious to so many, it's not the beliefs, it's
who you share the beliefs with and what you
mean to each other.

Do you understand?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2014 at 9:46:29 PM permalink
FrGamble
Dear Bob, I learned long ago that the only danger to true faith is not asking questions and exploring challenges and difficulties to what I believe. Throughout seminary and still today my teachers, mentors, and now good priest friends encourage and expect me to discuss and critically examine these things all the time.

I sure hope I'm not the only seeker. In fact I hope we are all seekers because the moment you think you've got it all figured out is a sure sign you are lost.

The community is a great part of religion, but it is not a social club. The beliefs are what makes religion so important and meaningful. If it was dangerous to discuss the teachings then they wouldn't be worth believing in. I bolster my beliefs by questioning them and learning more about them. I would only be unhappy if I wasn't following what I know to be true.
November 14th, 2014 at 10:58:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
I would only be unhappy if I wasn't following what I know to be true.

That's the spirit, just don't get in over
your head. As for me, I'm not seeking
anything, there is nothing to find. We
are born knowing the truth, life is not
a Parker Bros board game, with rules
and regulations. What you see is what
there is, no need for embellishment.
November 15th, 2014 at 5:53:55 AM permalink
FrGamble
The only ones who don't worry about getting in over their heads are those who are content to stay in the kiddie pool. Enjoy your shallow thinking Bob, but remember there is a reason why kiddie pools are so nice and comfortable - they are full of urine.
November 15th, 2014 at 6:50:19 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
The only ones who don't worry about getting in over their heads are those who are content to stay in the kiddie pool. Enjoy your shallow thinking Bob, but remember there is a reason why kiddie pools are so nice and comfortable - they are full of urine.
+100
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
November 15th, 2014 at 11:47:36 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

Better be careful there Friar, Bob will block you.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW