Pot Legalized

August 28th, 2014 at 6:30:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Beethoven
I apologize if you felt that I was insulting you. Certainly wasn't the intention.

Let me explain what I mean when I say "potheads". I'm not talking about the average Joe who is pretty much indifferent. You know, the type of guy who goes into the voting booth and says to himself, "Hmm...legalization of marijuana? What the heck, I'll vote for it."

No, when I say "potheads", I'm talking about the loud, outspoken group who passionately argues in favor of marijuana (using bad arguments, BTW) and who proudly celebrates whenever pot is legalized. Those people are embarrassing. Like the people below.

(BTW, I see mostly white people in this photo. If this were a Tea Party rally, you'd best believe that the liberal media would point that out in a nanosecond. But since they consider potheads to be the "good guys", they'll never point out the fact that marijuana legalization is an issue mostly driven by white people.) *facepalm*

Rent-free, baby! LOL!!!

Apology accepted, thanks.

Let me share this. I haven't followed the legalization battles closely, I just had/have other things to do. BTW in the far north it never was really illegal at least by state rules and generally it has been a Laissez faire enforcement especially if it was in the home.

I don't think it is right that after all the toil & trouble that medical mj people have struggled so long to get it is now apparently given away so freely in some places. I'll try an explain a little better. It is mostly a given that someone say with cancer if they can somehow get any relief using mmj than they should have access. They deserve and have earned the right to use it any way they can to attempt some benefit. It does bother me that now everyone and their dog and caretaker seems to have some dibilitating condition that can't be served any other way.

I don't know for sure why but dishonest irks me. If the group in the photo thinks it should be legal than imo, earn it like you say with valid reason but if someone in the photo and has a hangnail, or a pimple and thinks they need a mmj card so they can blow it in everyone else's face, imo again that is wrong. I would much rather have them use illegally than abuse the "system" and everyone that has earned it. That probably wasn't well presented but it is what I think.

Should the current legalization trend reverse, the people who are getting some margin of relief from mmj again will suffer and the hangnailers will continue to use illegaly.

BTW I agreed with one of your descriptions about potheads that I didn't include. I liked how you said something about potheads call cutting back as being from every few days to every couple of weeks [paraphrased]. The people I considered real potheads had rolled joints the night before and had them along the night stand in case they woke up or first thing upon waking. Way too extreme for me.

Again the weed today is several sd's beyond what was available in my earlier years and I find it distressing that youngsters [mostly] use so much of it. I know some otherwise very good younger people who smoke almost an ounce per week. That doesn't allow for a sober breath and that much to me is right up there with the amount of smoke consumed by cigarette smokers. I wrongly thought there would be no way mj users could smoke so much as for it to really become a lung cancer contributor but apparently I was wrong about that as well.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 28th, 2014 at 7:33:41 PM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
Also, I love how pot supporters (many of whom support gun control) always ignore stories like this:

Young man leaps to death after eating pot-laced cookie

They're almost as intellectually dishonest as (most) abortion and gay marriage supporters.

I like guns, I was given my first one at age 6 and have a few nice ones now in addition to my first one. I have taught my 2 sons and daughter how to handle a pistol and a rifle.
I also have MS which causes spasms in my left arm....Have you ever had to take sh!t loads of valium so you can relax a muscle? Its like drinking a 12 pack. I stopped taking them because MJ is way more effective and doesn't put me in a coma. I also live in Chicago area where we have kids shooting each other like crazy and most of those guns come from gun show A- holes who dont give to sh!ts who they sell a gun to because its a "private" party transaction. If they policed gun trafficking as hard as they policed pot.... well thats just a dream because the NRA lobby tries to scare people that the govt wants to take their guns. there is a big difference between responsible gun ownership and protecting against govt tyranny...most organizations have good intentions its the fringe that F*ck things up.

As far as the guy who jumped off the ledge or whatever, he was an idiot and consumed way too much, not from smoking mind you but from ingesting.
If law enforcement can free up resources to focus more on DANGEROUS things like Meth, Heroin, illegal gun transactions etc..the USA might be a lot better place.
August 28th, 2014 at 7:51:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: scotty71
Also, I love how pot supporters (many of whom support gun control) always ignore stories like this:

Young man leaps to death after eating pot-laced cookie

They're almost as intellectually dishonest as (most) abortion and gay marriage supporters.

I like guns, I was given my first one at age 6 and have a few nice ones now in addition to my first one. I have taught my 2 sons and daughter how to handle a pistol and a rifle.
I also have MS which causes spasms in my left arm....Have you ever had to take sh!t loads of valium so you can relax a muscle? Its like drinking a 12 pack. I stopped taking them because MJ is way more effective and doesn't put me in a coma. I also live in Chicago area where we have kids shooting each other like crazy and most of those guns come from gun show A- holes who dont give to sh!ts who they sell a gun to because its a "private" party transaction. If they policed gun trafficking as hard as they policed pot.... well thats just a dream because the NRA lobby tries to scare people that the govt wants to take their guns. there is a big difference between responsible gun ownership and protecting against govt tyranny...most organizations have good intentions its the fringe that F*ck things up.

As far as the guy who jumped off the ledge or whatever, he was an idiot and consumed way too much, not from smoking mind you but from ingesting.
If law enforcement can free up resources to focus more on DANGEROUS things like Meth, Heroin, illegal gun transactions etc..the USA might be a lot better place.

Great post scotty. I agree. Well done.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 28th, 2014 at 8:18:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I also have MS which causes spasms in my left arm....Have you ever had to take sh!t loads of valium so you can relax a muscle? Its like drinking a 12 pack. I stopped taking them because MJ is way more effective and doesn't put me in a coma.

A pharmacist (not LarryS) told me that very few studies are done on drugs that are naturally occurring because there isn't really a good way for the drug research to pay off if a company can't corner the discovery.

It's also the same thing conspiracy therorists have proposed for a long time about big drug companies. It's a theory that relatively easy to believe though, because there are obvious benefits to being the company with a unique product that people need.

But unfortunately we may be getting shortchanged. There's a good argument that we probably already have forms of treatments in natural occurring products that no one has devoted enough research for except non-science and or non-corroborated research by herbal companies and quacks alike.

Maybe the worst case scenario are drugs chemically crafted 5-10 years research that are poor 2nds for a combination of naturally occurring components that a company won't have any incentive to use instead of custom chemical concoctions they can hold the rights to.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2014 at 9:03:00 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: rxwine
A pharmacist (not LarryS) told me that very few studies are done on drugs that are naturally occurring because there isn't really a good way for the drug research to pay off if a company can't corner the discovery.

It's also the same thing conspiracy therorists have proposed for a long time about big drug companies. It's a theory that relatively easy to believe though, because there are obvious benefits to being the company with a unique product that people need.

But unfortunately we may be getting shortchanged. There's a good argument that we probably already have forms of treatments in natural occurring products that no one has devoted enough research for except non-science and or non-corroborated research by herbal companies and quacks alike.

Maybe the worst case scenario are drugs chemically crafted 5-10 years research that are poor 2nds for a combination of naturally occurring components that a company won't have any incentive to use instead of custom chemical concoctions they can hold the rights to.
Worth only in exclusivity and control, yes, a bonafide reality. We allow patents to be owned on living beings the companies never created and never controlled now(gmo), but maybe it's all too papery for somethings when courts see how simple it is.

Can just a few companies dominate pot? It's tough to imagine the case ever happening as it is now. Will Joe Public still need Budweiser as much when green bud is so cheap and available? Not now, but the government made the market for alcohol. You don't need some multilateral company making all the liquor and beer, but it is how it is anyways.

Government makes the money and government makes the need to need its money, so it can do anything it wants without elections. I'm paraphrasing a Rothschild quote I think, "Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes it's laws". This was a major reason the PTBs have done a lot of things. Maintaining the status quo means a lot to lots of people more than us, but is it our problem?
August 29th, 2014 at 1:09:47 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Marijuana isn't for everyone. Paranoid, feeling stupid, forgetting simple things, being paranoid about being arrested, some people it won't be for. If they like it and don't do stupid things, they can be ok. If not, drink or something else or nothing. Won't be that bad.
August 29th, 2014 at 6:55:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Lots of people have injured or killed themselves and others doing stupid stunts while sober, drunk, stoned and high.

Therefore we need to ban sobriety, pot, alcohol and drugs.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 29th, 2014 at 9:31:40 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I stopped taking them because MJ is way more effective and doesn't put me in a coma.
Medical use and recreational use are two vastly different issues.

If they policed gun trafficking as hard as they policed pot.... well thats just a dream because the NRA lobby tries to scare people that the govt wants to take their guns.
Actually, it's not the NRA; it's the US Constitution, Amendment #2.

If you really believe that legalizing marijuana is going to give cops loads of free time, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 29th, 2014 at 9:40:07 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: petroglyph
I don't think it is right that after all the toil & trouble that medical mj people have struggled so long to get it is now apparently given away so freely in some places. I'll try an explain a little better. It is mostly a given that someone say with cancer if they can somehow get any relief using mmj than they should have access. They deserve and have earned the right to use it any way they can to attempt some benefit. It does bother me that now everyone and their dog and caretaker seems to have some dibilitating condition that can't be served any other way.

I don't know for sure why but dishonest irks me. If the group in the photo thinks it should be legal than imo, earn it like you say with valid reason but if someone in the photo and has a hangnail, or a pimple and thinks they need a mmj card so they can blow it in everyone else's face, imo again that is wrong. I would much rather have them use illegally than abuse the "system" and everyone that has earned it.
Cool...sounds like we're a lot closer on this issue than it appeared.

There are studies that show that marijuana helps relieve the symptoms of some very ill patients, and I'm certainly open to it. But, like you said, I don't like the dishonesty either. I can't stand it when recreational users want doctors to be able to prescribe marijuana for stupid things like a sore foot or a headache. I also dislike it when they misrepresent the facts and act like marijuana is a "cure" when it just relieves the symptoms (which, while important in itself, is different from being a cure).

Should the current legalization trend reverse, the people who are getting some margin of relief from mmj again will suffer and the hangnailers will continue to use illegaly.
That would be a damn shame indeed.

BTW I agreed with one of your descriptions about potheads that I didn't include. I liked how you said something about potheads call cutting back as being from every few days to every couple of weeks [paraphrased]. The people I considered real potheads had rolled joints the night before and had them along the night stand in case they woke up or first thing upon waking. Way too extreme for me.
+1

Again the weed today is several sd's beyond what was available in my earlier years and I find it distressing that youngsters [mostly] use so much of it. I know some otherwise very good younger people who smoke almost an ounce per week. That doesn't allow for a sober breath and that much to me is right up there with the amount of smoke consumed by cigarette smokers. I wrongly thought there would be no way mj users could smoke so much as for it to really become a lung cancer contributor but apparently I was wrong about that as well.
+1

Totally agree.

P.S.-Thanks for the message! *thumbs up*
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 29th, 2014 at 10:26:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Marijuana isn't for everyone. Paranoid, feeling stupid, forgetting simple things, being paranoid about being arrested, some people it won't be for. If they like it and don't do stupid things, they can be ok. If not, drink or something else or nothing. Won't be that bad.

There also seems to be confusion in this discussion with synthetic products and marijuana. Just as you shouldn't blame a Kentucky brand bourbon for going blind, when you're drinking illegally made Kentucky moonshine.

From the National Institute of Health:

Quote:
"Spice" refers to a wide variety of herbal mixtures that produce experiences similar to marijuana (cannabis) and that are marketed as "safe," legal alternatives to that drug. Sold under many names, including K2, fake weed, Yucatan Fire, Skunk, Moon Rocks, and others — and labeled "not for human consumption" — these products contain dried, shredded plant material and chemical additives that are responsible for their psychoactive (mind-altering) effects.

False Advertising

Labels on Spice products often claim that they contain "natural" psycho-active material taken from a variety of plants. Spice products do contain dried plant material, but chemical analyses show that their active ingredients are synthetic (or designer) cannabinoid compounds.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/spice-synthetic-marijuana
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?