Pot Legalized

August 28th, 2014 at 11:35:03 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: petroglyph
I think you would support some kind of personal responsibility in this, am I right?
That begs the question because my entire point (which I've discussed here many times) is that potheads are not responsible people. Getting high is an immature activity. "Responsible pothead" is just as much of an oxymoron as "responsible crackhead".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_through_alcohol
I've seen this argument before. Potheads love bringing up alcohol for whatever reason.

Like I've said many times before, you can't compare the two because 99% of the population drinks. It would be impossible to ban alcohol for that reason alone. Not the case with pot. But I would bet $1 million that if 99% of the population used pot, the negative effects would dwarf that of alcohol.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 28th, 2014 at 12:44:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Beethoven
I think you would support some kind of personal responsibility in this, am I right?
That begs the question because my entire point (which I've discussed here many times) is that potheads are not responsible people. Getting high is an immature activity. "Responsible pothead" is just as much of an oxymoron as "responsible crackhead".

I've seen this argument before. Potheads love bringing up alcohol for whatever reason.

Like I've said many times before, you can't compare the two because 99% of the population drinks. It would be impossible to ban alcohol for that reason alone. Not the case with pot, although I would bet $1 million that if 99% of the population used pot, the negative effects would dwarf that of alcohol.

Sometimes its not what is said but how it is said.

Maybe I interpret many of your posts incorrectly and you arn't constantly trying to put people down IDK?

"I just consider drug use in general to be a kid's activity. Like TP'ing someone's house. One expects teenagers to TP people's houses, but a 50-year-old man?? I don't think so. Same thing with drug use. I expect teenagers & college kids to use/experiment with drugs, but not mature adults. (Before anyone gets their panties all ruffled, I'm not saying that marijuana users are immature; I'm just saying that the activity itself is immature.)
Regarding moderation, a pothead's definition of "moderation" means getting high once every couple weeks instead of once every couple days."

"Also, I can't stand it when the pro-marijuana folks act like weed is no different than alcohol. Plenty of people (myself included) drink without getting drunk. OTOH, I don't know any potheads who smoke a little bit, and then say, "Ooooo.....I'd better stop now. I don't want to get high!" Marijuana is for kids anyway; alcohol is for adults."

I think that claiming that you can drink without getting drunk is with your obvious intellect disengenous at least. I don't know very many pot users but the one's I do know have a toke or two or three and definately stop as they want to get something done. Back in the day when I lived aboard a boat, I found that if I had a couple drinks all I wanted to do was have more. If I took a toke instead I would get up and go do my maintenance, just my personal observation. Its a wonderful tool for mundane tasks. The more I drank the stupider I got. Never once got ten foot tall and bulletproof from ganja.

Imho, the working class [which I am] since before recorded history needed some kind of relief. Biblical times it was wine [yeah also for other reasons] but in that part of the world they also had hashish "origin of the word assasin" [I'm saying nurture not nature on that one] made from low grade weed, or hemp. They also had milk of the poppie. So what you goin to do, rail against it and anyone that thinks differently than you or get on with your life? Hate the game not the player.

Alchoholics don't tend to be responsible in the later stages, but I have worked with some and I preferred they had a drink or enough to stop the shakes.

99% of people drink? I know so well that you know better that I shouldn't even have quoted you. I also can't compare the two do to the fact that NO ONE has ever overdosed from marijuana, alcohol has destroyed civilizations. Taken over country's and promoted slavery with rum.

How do you compare "potheads" [whatever you mean by that] being irresponsible and unproductive compared to say someone who spends all day every day picking people apart on the internet?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 28th, 2014 at 1:35:02 PM permalink
Beethoven
Maybe I interpret many of your posts incorrectly and you arn't constantly trying to put people down IDK?

"I just consider drug use in general to be a kid's activity. Like TP'ing someone's house. One expects teenagers to TP people's houses, but a 50-year-old man?? I don't think so. Same thing with drug use. I expect teenagers & college kids to use/experiment with drugs, but not mature adults. (Before anyone gets their panties all ruffled, I'm not saying that marijuana users are immature; I'm just saying that the activity itself is immature.)
Regarding moderation, a pothead's definition of "moderation" means getting high once every couple weeks instead of once every couple days."

"Also, I can't stand it when the pro-marijuana folks act like weed is no different than alcohol. Plenty of people (myself included) drink without getting drunk. OTOH, I don't know any potheads who smoke a little bit, and then say, "Ooooo.....I'd better stop now. I don't want to get high!" Marijuana is for kids anyway; alcohol is for adults."
You think those are personal attacks? *scratches head*

They just look like general statements to me. No one was personally attacked. If you want personal attacks, take a look at insult after insult after insult after insult after insult after insult that was leveled at me personally.

I don't know very many pot users but the one's I do know have a toke or two or three and definately stop as they want to get something done.
I won't dispute your statement since I don't know any of those people myself, but I will say that such people are in a small, small minority. I personally don't know (and have never known) any pot users who take a couple of puffs and then say, "Ooh, that's enough for me. I sure don't want to get high!"

So what you goin to do, rail against it and anyone that thinks differently than you or get on with your life?
I just need to hear a better argument than what I've heard so far. I've said this many times in the past on this board: There is one completely logical, completely sound argument in favor of legalizing marijuana, and it's (mostly) used by libertarians. They believe that recreational marijuana should be legal because people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their bodies.

OK, fair enough. I get that. The only thing is that if you accept that argument, then you must go all the way. And libertarians do. They believe in legalizing marijuana and ALL other drugs. OTOH, most potheads (like most abortion supporters and gay marriage supporters) just want to cherry pick whatever suits their fancy. They want to legalize ONLY pot while keeping all other drugs illegal, and I simply won't let them get away with such intellectual dishonesty.

Most potheads don't even do that though. Instead, they either shift the argument to medical marijuana (which I am open-minded about), or they go off on tangents about alcohol.

99% of people drink? I know so well that you know better that I shouldn't even have quoted you.
I don't know what your 2nd sentence means, but yes, I'd say that 99% of people drink. I can count on my hand the number of people I've known throughout my life who don't drink. (OK, maybe it's 96% or 94%, but you get the picture.) The overwhelming majority of people in the US drink alcohol, and you can't ban it for that reason alone, which is what I said before.

I also can't compare the two do to the fact that NO ONE has ever overdosed from marijuana, alcohol has destroyed civilizations.
I still don't understand why pro-marijuana supporters keep bringing up alcohol.

Fact: Many, many, many more people drink than smoke pot. That's been true throughout history, and I don't know why potheads can't understand this. (Or maybe they do, and they're just trying to muddy the water? I don't know.)

Is your goal to turn 90%+ of the population into potheads? As I stated earlier, if 90%+ of the population smoked pot, the negative effects would dwarf those of alcohol.

How do you compare "potheads" [whatever you mean by that] being irresponsible and unproductive compared to say someone who spends all day every day picking people apart on the internet?
Blowing bad arguments out of the water is both responsible and productive. ;)
August 28th, 2014 at 2:53:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
"You think those are personal attacks? *scratches head*"

No, I don't want personal attacks, it really takes away from the message.

"They just look like general statements to me. No one was personally attacked. If you want personal attacks, take a look at insult after insult after insult after insult after insult after insult that was leveled at me personally."

Those examples you put up here, I agree with Faces take. I believe mostly you enjoy arguing. I didn't say personal attacks but tried to describe non insultingly your style of repoir on boards with other posters.

"I won't dispute your statement since I don't know any of those people myself, but I will say that such people are in a small, small minority. I personally don't know (and have never known) any pot users who take a couple of puffs and then say, "Ooh, that's enough for me. I sure don't want to get high!"

Can I interject that you do know some "potheads" as you describe them, they are all around you just being productive and not wearing a sign saying I smoked weed today. I believe it was Reagan that said 20% of the people are using illegal drugs daily. So in my mind it also blends in well with you probably are also surrounded by homosexual people, frightening isn't it. lol

"I just need to hear a better argument than what I've heard so far. I've said this many times in the past on this board: There is one completely logical, completely sound argument in favor of legalizing marijuana, and it's (mostly) used by libertarians. They believe that recreational marijuana should be legal because people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their bodies.

OK, fair enough. I get that. The only thing is that if you accept that argument, then you must go all the way.

And libertarians do. They believe in legalizing marijuana and ALL other drugs. OTOH, most potheads (like most abortion supporters and gay marriage supporters) just want to cherry pick whatever suits their fancy. They want to legalize ONLY pot while keeping all other drugs illegal, and I simply won't let them get away with such intellectual dishonesty."

How do you know what MOST potheads think or believe? I thought you didn't know any.

Most potheads don't even do that though. Instead, they either shift the argument to medical marijuana (which I am open-minded about), or they go off on tangents about alcohol.

"You may be correct in this assesment if we are talking about what we would BOTH consider potheads. We may have a different description.

I don't know what your 2nd sentence means, but yes, I'd say that 99% of people drink. I can count on my hand the number of people I've known throughout my life who don't drink. (OK, maybe it's 96% or 94%, but you get the picture.) The overwhelming majority of people in the US drink alcohol, and you can't ban it for that reason alone, which is what I said before."

I don't know how many drink. There was a time that I thought Everbody drank. IMO I think there are benefits to alcohol and at times consider doing so. To me it is one of the most effective painkillers available especially w/o prescription. I'm not taking any holier than anybody approach about alcohol, for a while I was a professional drinker. I think we could both agree there is a downside, no ex. necessary.

"I still don't understand why pro-marijuana supporters keep bringing up alcohol."

Maybe it's the only way they can think of to try and explain it to drunks?

"Fact: Many, many, many more people drink than smoke pot. That's been true throughout history, and I don't know why potheads can't understand this. (Or maybe they do, and they're just trying to muddy the water? I don't know.)

"Is your goal to turn 90%+ of the population into potheads?"

No.... I am now aware that I can't change the world. I can't make people do the right or responsible thing or even care. I will say as a kid I thought by now we would have world peace or it would have been destroyed. When I was a kid, everybody worked, it wasn't punishment it's just what everyone did, and like I said I thought everyone drank as well, I hadn't heard of mj. My first recollection of the word came out about the time as the "Supremes" With Dianna Ross.

As you have said you have little experience with weed. I don't have any defense for being in any altered state for pure enjoyment purposes.

"As I stated earlier, if 90%+ of the population smoked pot, the negative effects would dwarf those of alcohol." Maybe but definately more peaceful.

Blowing bad arguments out of the water is both responsible and productive. ;)

Your approach of calling anyone who has used marijuana a "pothead" to me is offensive but oh well. You are certainly entitled to your belief, but it is no more accurate then if I were to describe anyone who had ever read a passage from the bible as a religious fanatic, or ate a french fry as a junk food junkie, or, or.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 28th, 2014 at 3:01:05 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I'm productive today derp derp derp
August 28th, 2014 at 3:48:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I have to admit I smoke. Just like a mild buzz after work.
I don't drink, to me alcohol is a hard drug. Its a drug to get wasted/drunk.
I have no interest in being wasted.
Plus I don't like the alcohol high, its not even a high, its a depressant yuck.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 28th, 2014 at 4:02:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Plus I don't like the alcohol high, its not even a high, its a depressant yuck.

To each their own.

I actually can feel my IQ drop about five points with every drink. Ten if I drink it too fast. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I have points to spare (really!), but I can get rather silly and make bad decisions at the tables or the VP machines (I drink almost exclusively while gambling). That can be fun, too, from time to time, but only while it's going on...

I do like the taste of some alcoholic beverages, which counts for more. And wine, sherry, vodka and brandy make for interesting flavor combinations when cooking.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 28th, 2014 at 4:51:07 PM permalink
Beethoven
Your approach of calling anyone who has used marijuana a "pothead" to me is offensive but oh well.
I apologize if you felt that I was insulting you. Certainly wasn't the intention.

Let me explain what I mean when I say "potheads". I'm not talking about the average Joe who is pretty much indifferent. You know, the type of guy who goes into the voting booth and says to himself, "Hmm...legalization of marijuana? What the heck, I'll vote for it."

No, when I say "potheads", I'm talking about the loud, outspoken group who passionately argues in favor of marijuana (using bad arguments, BTW) and who proudly celebrates whenever pot is legalized. Those people are embarrassing. Like the people below.

(BTW, I see mostly white people in this photo. If this were a Tea Party rally, you'd best believe that the liberal media would point that out in a nanosecond. But since they consider potheads to be the "good guys", they'll never point out the fact that marijuana legalization is an issue mostly driven by white people.) *facepalm*

Quote: s2nickelmiracle
I'm productive today derp derp derp
Rent-free, baby! LOL!!!
August 28th, 2014 at 4:57:38 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: terapined
I have to admit I smoke. Just like a mild buzz after work.
I don't drink, to me alcohol is a hard drug. Its a drug to get wasted/drunk.
I have no interest in being wasted.

I used to be the same way. Wake up, go to work, come home, grab the Xbox/a good book, couple puffs, and relax. Getting pied was a rarity, something almost completely left in my late teens, early 20s. I sought the gentle buzz, similar to one or two drinks after dinner. I suppose that's why I knew so many who don't fit the mold here. Everyone I smoked with was a working man, building pools or houses by day, busting their ass and producing. I didn't hang with the lazy stoners, just as I currently hang with working alcoholics and steer clear of wet brained leeches.

I just need to hear a better argument than what I've heard so far. I've said this many times in the past on this board: There is one completely logical, completely sound argument in favor of legalizing marijuana, and it's (mostly) used by libertarians. They believe that recreational marijuana should be legal because people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their bodies.

OK, fair enough. I get that. The only thing is that if you accept that argument, then you must go all the way. And libertarians do. They believe in legalizing marijuana and ALL other drugs. OTOH, most potheads (like most abortion supporters and gay marriage supporters) just want to cherry pick whatever suits their fancy. They want to legalize ONLY pot while keeping all other drugs illegal, and I simply won't let them get away with such intellectual dishonesty.

Why must one go all the way? Because logic?

I am adamantly (almost furiously) against the criminalization of pot, yet have no solid opinion of the other drugs. I don't think it's intellectually dishonest at all. It's sort of how I think the speed limits should be raised, but you shouldn't be able to do a buck twenty through town. If I want an unlimited speed limit down Nevada's Rt 50 and claim "freedom", must I also demand the same freedom down the Strip to maintain integrity? I don't think so. I'm unsure of why you would demand it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 28th, 2014 at 5:05:59 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Face
Why must one go all the way? Because logic?

I am adamantly (almost furiously) against the criminalization of pot, yet have no solid opinion of the other drugs. I don't think it's intellectually dishonest at all.
That's actually a different position. The liberal position is to legalize marijuana but keep, say, cocaine illegal. The libertarian position is to legalize both marijuana AND cocaine. Sounds like you currently fall somewhere between the two.

The libertarian position (even though I disagree with it) is perfectly sound and logical. The liberal position is intellectually dishonest. Can't comment on your position yet since you are neutral on the other drugs.