My thoughts on, "Interstellar"

Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>
November 19th, 2014 at 8:41:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Unfortunately what Tesla did for the magician was a bit too far fetched for me

I have a problem with what I call a "genre jump" in a film. The film is going along fine as a thriller, and suddenly a "deus ex machina" turns the story into a sci-fi or supernatural film. I kind of feel like it is a cop-out. I was enjoying "The Prestige" until the end.

Possibly the worst film in this category is "The Abyss".

My comment does not apply to films like "Misery" which combines extreme horror and comedy. Because the genre switch is not used as a plot device. The writer is just playing with your emotions.
November 20th, 2014 at 9:59:38 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
I have a problem with what I call a "genre jump" in a film. The film is going along fine as a thriller, and suddenly a "deus ex machina" turns the story into a sci-fi or supernatural film. I kind of feel like it is a cop-out. I was enjoying "The Prestige" until the end...

In general, I agree that getting jobbed by the writer is a real let down, but in, "The Prestige", I think, "The Turn" was one of the key points of the film. If you were interested, amazed, and a little disturbed by the bird in the cage disappearing, weren't you also with the man in the box?
November 20th, 2014 at 11:33:09 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
I liked Memento. Is there an option to watch it backwards if I get the DVD?

The version I had did have this option, but it was hidden within one of the features. I am sure you can find the secret combination on imdb, though.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 20th, 2014 at 2:47:12 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Regarding Interstellar, I've been trying to place it in the pantheon of space operas.

I've decided that it's like the best episode of Star Trek that you've ever seen. It has the same tone, it uses many of the same tropes, it has the same feel to it.

This isn't meant to be a criticism; I love Star Trek, especially The Next Generation. Interstellar gets to expand on many of the themes, but without the restrictions of using the characters and settings.
November 20th, 2014 at 4:11:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just had a haircut and my hairdresser Susie liked Intersteller too. However, she says she needs to see it a couple more times because she feels confused after just one viewing. We rarely agree so much on movies.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 20th, 2014 at 5:12:21 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just got back from seeing Interstellar on the Imax dome.
Got there a bit early and they had an odds demonstration at the museum of Science and industry.
Dice and 2 to 12 on 11 slips of paper. Roll 36 times to try to hit each number. hit all 12 numbers and get a strip of Imax film.
Saw one demonstration, guy hit 10 numbers, never got snake eyes.
Spoke to the demonstrator, said I was very familiar with odds of dice since I dabble in craps.

They gave me a senior discount:-)
9.95 instead of 12.00

Saw the movie. I liked it. It was great seeing it at the Imax dome. Pretty immersive. Black was well black. Colors great.
Never got dizzy, never looked away. Its like watching a movie in the front row of a regular movie theater.
I was in the middle and noticed most people bunched at the top. In the middle, got to angle your head up a bit so I slumped down a bit. Probably a better viewing angle from the top. Space scenes were great in true Imax with the entire screen filled. Some scenes a black horizontal border at the bottom.
Very good movie, not great but very good.
I too was confused by some parts on Earth regarding Murph and her brother being at odds.
Rather then rewatching, I'm waiting for the directors cut to solve some of the confusion.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 20th, 2014 at 5:36:32 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Thanks for the report terapined. The first docking sequence was bad for me, but perhaps it is just me.

How did you do on the "All" in 36 rolls contest?
November 20th, 2014 at 7:30:17 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba

How did you do on the "All" in 36 rolls contest?

I just watched one guy do 36 rolls then talked to the demonstrator.
I never rolled myself.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 20th, 2014 at 7:50:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
In general, I agree that getting jobbed by the writer is a real let down, but in, "The Prestige", I think, "The Turn" was one of the key points of the film. If you were interested, amazed, and a little disturbed by the bird in the cage disappearing, weren't you also with the man in the box?

Maybe I am not being fair. It was a good movie, and I admit that it was disturbing. I don't want to give any spoilers.

Quote: Cutter
Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts.

The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't.

The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back.

That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."
November 20th, 2014 at 8:01:41 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I liked "The Prestige" well enough to put it in my library. Worth a watch every few years; quirky, well-acted, works on several levels.

Scheduled to see "Interstellar" tomorrow in IMAX. $11.75 is a pretty good price, I think. Thanks for the reviews, and especially for not putting up spoilers.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>