Do it yourself

November 16th, 2017 at 5:23:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
That's the spirit! Though actually I think these public maker spaces are morphing to a mini-TechShop and will eventually morph into a full-blown techshop.

Its a question of geography and outreach. A TechShop has only a certain geographical reach beyond which it makes no sense for a craftsman to trek. He can beg, borrow or steal a massive instrument of some sort rather than drive an excessive distance to use one on the cheap. Its also a question of inventory, TechShops had certain small items that they sold and they rented out time on large expensive manufacturing equipment.

These community run or volunteer run Maker Spaces offer collaborative office space, techie interaction via formal conference room rental as well as techie interaction via water cooler chats. They offer sleep over bunks, specialized computer equipment and high speed data links. Sure it becomes a battle as to what tools they should buy but once that decision is made there should be enough volume to cover the capital outlay since such decisions are usually voted on by the membership.

On geography, that is why I stopped going. All the way across town. It was in a very, very trendy-gentrifying area. Rent killed them, but things turned me off. The parking lot was awful, timed spaces or pay spaces. I get that it was the trendy area, but the place belonged in a cheapo industrial park or as part of an old, large factory that is now subdivided. I think I said it earlier, but the rent was near to the dollar equal to their monthly loss.

My other beef was you had to take classes to get "certified" to use most tools. Like college, there were pre-reqs to those classes. Some cool equipment was very difficult to use. I wanted to make an embroidery for my oil and gas logo on a nice shirt to wear to work at the courthouse. My head was spinning at all that had to be done to use the thing (maybe my brain is not as young as it once was?) and then there was all the stuff you had to buy. IOW, there is a reason "Ricks Restorations" costs so much.

Someone may try again. Probably the not-for-profit route.
The President is a fink.
November 16th, 2017 at 6:52:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Pittsburgh has a Maker Faire at the Childrens Museum each October. Its emphasis appears to be on high school and college age projects.
I couldn't find any collaborative work spaces in Pittsburg.
November 16th, 2017 at 6:52:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
please delete
November 16th, 2017 at 6:32:00 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
If the shop is closing for good, are they liquidating their assets?
November 16th, 2017 at 8:29:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
You will probably have to contact the Trustee in Bankruptcy. Some of their more expensive equipment may be subject to existing security interests. TechShop is basically washing its hands of everything which is why their website is now a static page.
November 17th, 2017 at 2:39:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
If the shop is closing for good, are they liquidating their assets?

Per "Autoline After Hours" yesterday all of the tools are already turned over to creditors. I am guessing they will be sold off but I expect few bargains.
The President is a fink.
November 17th, 2017 at 10:48:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Tech Shop Closing Details for those who care/are interested.
The President is a fink.
December 2nd, 2017 at 6:23:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Tech-Shop to re-open!

Quote: Dan Woods; CEO, TechShop, Inc.

TechShop, Inc. has reached an agreement with a third party to acquire all company assets. The new entity, TechShop 2.0, LLC, plans to re-open as many stores as possible, as soon as possible. The acquiring partnership is led by Dan Rasure and Bill Lloyd (Owner of BHL Services Inc. of Minneapolis).

On November 17th, just hours before we had planned to file Chapter-7, Mr. Rasure approached with an interest in acquiring the entire company. Being struck by his sincerity, business acumen, and resolve to re-open shops quickly, TechShop, Inc's Board and a small team of former employees embarked on a non-stop eleven-day effort. The end result, an arrangement with Mr. Rasure and Lloyd to re-open the next iteration of TechShop.

Throughout this effort our goal was to restore service to communities and members, rehire as many employees as possible, and provide a more sustainable path forward for TechShop's members.

None of TechShop's Directors and Officers have or will receive so much as a dollar from this deal -- either through equity, cash payments, or compensation.

TechShop 2.0's shop re-opening schedule and member re-engagement plan are currently being finalized. This information will be released in the coming days. TechShop 2.0 will work with members at each location for the purpose of assisting anyone who may need to remove personal materials from one of our locations.

For those who submitted email to trustee.techshop@gmail.com we will be accessing the account and responding to all of you as promptly as possible. For now, I invite you to visit TechShop.com and stay tuned to @techshop for further developments and reopening details.

Announcing the closure of TechShop was the most difficult thing I've had to do in my career. When the opportunity for a different path forward presented itself, we did whatever humanly possible to work with Dan Rasure and make TechShop 2.0 a reality. I want to thank Dan and Bill for their perseverance and commitment to re-kindle the dream that is TechShop.
The President is a fink.
December 2nd, 2017 at 7:12:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Well, I'm glad its going to have a 2.0 version but I fear the results may not differ much.
A lot of businesses are sold or closed for 'health reasons' but what that often means is the owner is sick of the business. Perhaps a new owner will do better with it.
December 3rd, 2017 at 6:14:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
Well, I'm glad its going to have a 2.0 version but I fear the results may not differ much.
A lot of businesses are sold or closed for 'health reasons' but what that often means is the owner is sick of the business. Perhaps a new owner will do better with it.

I agree that the results will be the same. A BK can show a flaw in the business plan. In this one, the flaw is that TS needs large employers or other groups to buy mass memberships for people who will never show up.

I think they would do better if they formalized their classes more. They had decent classes, bit it was a scattershoot. Not sure the better way to do it, but one way would be instead of one, sell a course of 3-4. Bite size, but you learn more.

My local, I would just not return to. Too far away and the location was a pain. Validated parking and such. It was in a trendy place all jammed up. Should be more in a dead mall or old discount store lying empty.
The President is a fink.