Video Games

January 12th, 2020 at 7:40:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Kids. They make you feel old.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 4th, 2020 at 9:11:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I'm back to playing what I consider the greatest video game ever
Zelda Breath of the Wild
1st time around, I missed a lot of places to explore
This time around, trying to collect all the Korok seeds which means I have to explore everywhere
An online cheat map is helping me find all the seeds
Having a blast playing this game again.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 16th, 2020 at 2:01:18 AM permalink
rxwine
About a month ago, on a whim, purchased Civ VI, with a bunch of expansion packs. I played a couple hours; got beat up pretty bad. Wasn't really getting into it.

Then started another game, and it finally hooked me. Played into the early morning hours. I don't think there is much chance I win this game, but I think I've finally grasped many of the necessary concepts to at least not be confused.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2020 at 2:35:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: rxwine
Kids. They make you feel old.

Explanation of this.

The game is easy to explain but tough to do at this level. (impossible for me)

You not only have to slice the cubes with matching color to get points, but you must cut whichever side is the white triangle. The dice like ones you can cut anywhere.
May 16th, 2020 at 5:46:01 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
About a month ago, on a whim, purchased Civ VI, with a bunch of expansion packs. I played a couple hours; got beat up pretty bad. Wasn't really getting into it.

Then started another game, and it finally hooked me. Played into the early morning hours. I don't think there is much chance I win this game, but I think I've finally grasped many of the necessary concepts to at least not be confused.

I generally try to develop the strongest economy while constantly investing in science. I don't invest much in an Army, usually just have the bare minimum for safety. If I do have to go to war, having a strong economy means I can build military units quickly. Also important to have a good road then rail network. Its important when going to war, roads and rail make it easy to rush units to the front so roads an early investment. I generally go for the science victory, 1st country to build a space ship to populate another planet. Right now I am in a game where I decided to be a war monger and trying to capture all the capitals. Another fun way to win. Its a lot of military units to control.
If you are finding the computer countries too hard, play on a easier level :-)

My favorite is Civ 5
Did not like some of the changes to Civ 6
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 16th, 2020 at 5:50:56 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
I generally try to develop the strongest economy while constantly investing in science. I don't invest much in an Army, usually just have the bare minimum for safety. If I do have to go to war, having a strong economy means I can build military units quickly. Also important to have a good road then rail network. Its important when going to war, roads and rail make it easy to rush units to the front so roads an early investment. I generally go for the science victory, 1st country to build a space ship to populate another planet. Right now I am in a game where I decided to be a war monger and trying to capture all the capitals. Another fun way to win. Its a lot of military units to control.

My favorite is Civ 5

Civ5 is simply the best IMO. I don't even have 6 installed anymore.

Play England, get great lighthouse, profit.

I like Science and Diplo victories (in 5). I have never had a military victory in a large game (12-24 civs) , its just not practical to get everyone's capital, and some are just too far away.
May 16th, 2020 at 5:58:25 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Gandler

My favorite is Civ 5

I like Science and Diplo victories (in 5). I have never had a military victory in a large game (12-24 civs) , its just not practical to get everyone's capital, and some are just too far away.

I've never played England. May have to try that
I generally roll the dice when I play letting the computer pick my country
I agree, conquest tough as you have to take capitals on another continent far away. Means massive invasion forces travelling over large oceans. Currently playing Spain in my conquest game.
May 16th, 2020 at 6:11:01 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Can confirm Civ V is peak Civ.

I turn bulls@#$ victories off. Domination only. I think I recently passed 2,100 hours in game. Talk about value for money.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 16th, 2020 at 6:18:41 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Gandler

My favorite is Civ 5

I've never played England. May have to try that
I generally roll the dice when I play letting the computer pick my country
I agree, conquest tough as you have to take capitals on another continent far away. Means massive invasion forces travelling over large oceans. Currently playing Spain in my conquest game.

England gets 1 extra spy and 1 extra movement and sight for all naval units. Combine that with the Great Lighthouse (an additional 1 extra movement), and then unlock Explorer (an additional 1 movement), and you can move your fleet all over the map in a couple of turns (very useful both mid game and late game).

Also, their Ship of the Line unique unit is great. But, their longbowman, is almost OP, its range is awesome, making it a useful land military unit early-mid game.

I love naval battles, so I love England, they are simply the best Naval Civ. And, the extra spy (they start with two spies upon reaching renesaince) comes in handy for diplo victories.

Rolling is good for MP. But, for single player games it is fun to pick your own CIV. Also, some Civs are vastly superior to others giving some players an edge if they roll good (England for example is one of the best. Poland is probably the #1).

I actually like Venice just for the challenge. Worst Civ by far, but fun to play (not in competitive multiplayer of course).
May 16th, 2020 at 6:22:07 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Face
Can confirm Civ V is peak Civ.

I turn bulls@#$ victories off. Domination only. I think I recently passed 2,100 hours in game. Talk about value for money.

I have been player Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack Mod, it is amazing. It adds the "Giant" size.

Massive Map of Earth much bigger than "huge" and all 43 Civs at once with accurate start locations.

I am playing domination only as England (already wiped out the Celts so I control the UK), but winning this game will probably never happen in my lifetime (actually more likely to lose because some Civs can expand much fast, such as those in Asia and the Americas), but its great fun.