Computer Help Desk ...

August 1st, 2017 at 4:13:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The light on my cable modem that is labeled 'cable' goes out and I get a 'loose cable' message. It does this on its own and RealTek NIC board seems to be securely in its slot and the cable tight. I try to look up the error message but I keep getting this Your Are Not Connected to the Internet message.
August 1st, 2017 at 5:40:44 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Well, you could unplug it and plug it back in several times on each end. Sometimes there is a little tarnish or corrosion on the contacts that will rub off that way.

Most likely you need a new cable, though.

Less likely one of the chips on the device on either end is going bad/loose pin on IC or connector.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 17th, 2017 at 2:59:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I've noticed that when I hear a far off rumble its either thunder or my stomach growling. When it is thunder, my internet connecttion often fails. Is there anything I can do to change this.
August 25th, 2017 at 8:37:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Does anyone know how to contact eBay?

Here's the thing. Someone created an eBay account and entered an email address identical to mine. I often get other people's email to my address. it turns out that for Gmail, nareed and na.reed are identical. I think the problem is something like this. Now, this isn't identity theft at all. I'm just getting someone else's emails from eBay.

I tried logging on eBay and changing my password (no problem), but I kept getting those emails. So I tried finding a means to send a message to eBay alerting them of the problem, but I can't find an address or a link for sending comments. All you get in "Contact Us" are FAQs regarding common problems, and apparently getting the wrong emails is not a common issue at all.

I'm not worried about this at all, but it's annoying. Who should be worried is the person whose emails I'm getting. They have his address, phone number and partial credit card numbers.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 30th, 2017 at 1:40:37 PM permalink
Nareed
I suppose I'm out of touch and didn't consider the "obvious": I sent a Tweet to eBay.

So they responded, emails followed, and they've been no help at all. They suggest calling a number. Well, I'm not going to waste my time with that. I'll try to close down the account. If I can't, I'll just set a filter to delete all messages from eBay.
August 30th, 2017 at 8:37:48 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Nareed, my wife and I tend to keep our emails logged in on the various computers in our house. How surprised do you think I was when I started seeing emails in her account for maternity and baby items she bought? My heart skipped a few beats before I was able to question her and she explained that she gets lots of emails for a lady with the same name that lives somewhere in the U.K. My wife has tried to contact her to let her know about it but hasn't had any success. Sadly, some of the emails contain personal information regarding loans and similar subjects.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 31st, 2017 at 6:30:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
My heart skipped a few beats before I was able to question her and she explained that she gets lots of emails for a lady with the same name that lives somewhere in the U.K.

I get email from people named "Reed" with names starting with an N. A few months back I got an invitation to a golf tourney addressed to "Natalie Reed."

As it happens I've found a great deal of info about the eBay account holder, since the emails often include their postal address. Alas, I've found no web site or actual email address. I'll start looking them up on FB and Twitter and see if that does something.
October 29th, 2017 at 10:56:34 AM permalink
Fleastiff
So why do I get a Danger Warning when I type in "www.diversitytomorrow.com" and then find I'm at Las Puestas which seems to be a Spanish language mirror site.. Don't Domain Names slowly propagate thru the DNS network?
I keep having to come to THIS site via a google search.
October 29th, 2017 at 12:05:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Dunno, it works for me.

Looks like some kind of dns hijack. Could be on your computer, your browser, could be at your isp, or wherever you have your dns servers pointing to.

If you are on Windows, you might try running nslookup from the command line, type in the site name to get an answer, then type 'server 8.8.8.8' to switch to a Google dns servers and try again to see if the answer is the same.

I'm not on a computer right now so I can't provide you with the right answer.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 2nd, 2018 at 2:47:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Does anyone know an easy way to transfer selected photos from my iPhone to Windows 10? Most things I see are for syncing all the photos. That is not what I need as I take dozens of images a day of various legal docs.

I have been emailing them, but that is eating my data and a little cumbersome. I wish it was old school where you just went into MyComputer and moved files. I cannot see how to do it easily in iTunes.

Ideas?
The President is a fink.