Computer Help Desk ...

Page 4 of 26<1234567>Last »
April 22nd, 2016 at 2:28:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
After the disaster that was Windows 8 I have ignored the upgrade. I will be getting a new laptop late this year then I figure I have to get 10,

You won't have a choice, it's on there
already. I upgraded to 10 and never
have a problem.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2016 at 8:24:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Anyone know why my XP clock gains two minutes every hour?

How do I go about getting a new operting system....prefeably without paying for it.
May 22nd, 2016 at 10:15:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Did you leave your time machine on?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2016 at 3:04:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Anyone know why my XP clock gains two minutes every hour?

How do I go about getting a new operting system....prefeably without paying for it.

Maybe at your service box it is putting out 112V instead of 110?

No idea, maybe a freeware system out there?
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2016 at 4:23:56 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The onboard clocks on the computer are not very accurate. What keeps a computer time accurate is when it is on-line it will go and get the time of day regularly from one or more numerous locations. Does your computer only lose time when it is off line? If not the program on your computer that was watching was going to the time site(s) must have failed or possibly been accidentally deleted. Maybe Micrsoft has shut down something to help force the upgrades.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 1st, 2016 at 1:09:59 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The connections in the mini-USB port that charges my Kindle appear to be worn from repeated use. I have to fiddle with the connection, and place the pad at a certain angle to get it to charge. Is there a way to tighten the connection, or replace the port, that doesn't involve hiring a tech?
June 1st, 2016 at 6:52:15 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Ayecarumba
The connections in the mini-USB port that charges my Kindle appear to be worn from repeated use. I have to fiddle with the connection, and place the pad at a certain angle to get it to charge. Is there a way to tighten the connection, or replace the port, that doesn't involve hiring a tech?

Try a new cord if you can. The small wires in them can break when they get bent all the time. If that doesn't help a new Kindle will be cheaper than paying for a repair if it is even possible.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 1st, 2016 at 6:58:32 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: kenarman
Try a new cord if you can. The small wires in them can break when they get bent all the time. If that doesn't help a new Kindle will be cheaper than paying for a repair if it is even possible.

Thanks kenarman. I'm already using a new cord. It appears that the receptacle may have been loosened by the in and out of the cord, and the occasional fall off the table / hard pull when someone trips on the cord when it is plugged in. Bummer. Someone needs to invent a tool for fixing loose mini and micro usb receptacles.
June 1st, 2016 at 7:26:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I got a 24" monitor last week for my home
office. Worked great but it was just too
damn big. It was huge, I couldn't even
see out the window anymore, I had to
look around it. So I ordered a 20" Sceptre
w/speakers from Walmart and got it
today. It's the perfect size for what I
do in the office. I didn't like having to
move the cursor across a football field.
$69 and it gets good reviews everywhere.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2016 at 9:13:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
I got a 24" monitor last week for my home
office. Worked great but it was just too
damn big. It was huge, I couldn't even
see out the window anymore, I had to
look around it. So I ordered a 20" Sceptre
w/speakers from Walmart and got it
today. It's the perfect size for what I
do in the office. I didn't like having to
move the cursor across a football field.
$69 and it gets good reviews everywhere.
Good deal. I wished I'd known that a few months ago. I bought my wife a refurbed 17", for 60, and speakers are separate.

She and I both have laptops since a tech ripped us off for our tower, but we both like wireless mouses. Mine is slow and smooth, but her mouse has different speeds on it. On fast, it hauls ass across the page so fast your eyes can't keep up with it. More of a nuisance than a benefit.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 4 of 26<1234567>Last »