Computer Help Desk ...

October 10th, 2016 at 2:46:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Or type power sleep,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 10th, 2016 at 3:17:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I STILL use WindowsXP despite it having been disinherited by Microsoft.

I checked off: When sleep command is given: Do Nothing.
When standby command is given: Do Nothing.
When modem gives power saving commands to computer: Do Nothing.

Seems to work fine that way.
October 10th, 2016 at 3:26:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
I STILL use WindowsXP despite it having been disinherited by Microsoft.

I checked off: When sleep command is given: Do Nothing.
When standby command is given: Do Nothing.
When modem gives power saving commands to computer: Do Nothing.

Seems to work fine that way.

It is my dad's old machine. I would have gotten Windows 7 if I could have. All they had was 8. After he went I upgraded to 10 since I hate 8. Will always be a quote machine or some other "extra" computer. He used it as the world's most expensive deck of cards.

Thanks for updates, will try them before bed. If my ideas work I will drop a few hundred bucks on ForEx, as good as betting sports.
The President is a fink.
October 10th, 2016 at 4:21:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Can click on the battery icon bottom right corner
Click on "power and sleep settings"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 15th, 2016 at 3:33:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Can click on the battery icon bottom right corner
Click on "power and sleep settings"

Seems I had the setting right but what caused the shutdown was an update. Anyone know how to turn off the update software feature except the day of the week I choose?
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2016 at 8:59:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Google CHROME opens with eight boxes of my frequently visited sites.... how do I get it to diminish the size of the boxes and increase the number of them?
October 18th, 2016 at 12:16:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
OK, folks, y'all are gonna help me defeat this beast WITHOUT a hammer. I've made it this far...

My bunk drive doesn't appear to be an actual bunk drive. Pity I couldn't verify, but I replaced the SATA data cable and changed the port in the MOBO into which it was connected and everything seems 5-by. I can't even recreate the error now. Fishy stuff, but whatever. It works, and that is always Good Enough.

My newest problem should be easy. Assuming it WAS a bunk drive, I went out and purchased a 480GB SSD which came with Acronis True Image software. My plans were to just clone the bunk disk onto the SSD and be done with it. And, of course, I ran into a problem.

First was just that it didn't work. I'd select the "source" and "target" disks so it would clone the right one onto the right one, and it was just about that simple. It asked to restart to conduct the action, but after shutting down and going into the Acronis part, the screen simply goes dark and stays dark. Pressing any key restarts the computer with no action taken. 20 sec or 20 hours, it stays black until a key is pressed at which time it restarts with no action taken.

I Googled of course and it stated that this error happens when there is external USB memory connected. Well, mine wasn't. No flash drives, no external drives; the only thing connected was keyboard, mouse, and headphones, and I disconnected the headphones and it still didn't work. Anyone have an idea WHY?

Pt2 of this was that I was just gonna use it all. Keep the HD because it now seems good and it's got all my settings on it, and just us the SSD as I want. Plop all my games on, whatever. Well... PC doesn't seem to recognize it's in there. Oh, it finds it when using the Acronis software. But if I just try to see it using file explorer, all I see is drives C (my bitty SSD with OS on it), D (my questionable HD), and G (my DVD RW). No new SSD apparent. Ditto that for saving and/or installing files. Go to "browse" and only C and D are apparent. Anyone know WHY? Hurry, it's almost...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 27th, 2016 at 12:02:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I made a hyperbolic reflector for my
antennaless router and I can't believe
how well it works. It directs the signal
to a specific part of my house. I made
it out of a vinyl place mat and foil.
It raised my mbps speed by 50% on
my laptop.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 27th, 2016 at 1:02:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
vinyl place mats, foil, Pringles cans, used woks.... sometimes you really do not have to shell out bucks to get a strong signal somewhere.
November 27th, 2016 at 1:54:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
vinyl place mats, foil, Pringles cans, used woks.... sometimes you really do not have to shell out bucks to get a strong signal somewhere.

Beer and pop cans work well if
you cut off the tops and bottoms
and cut them in half. They are
very reflective and have the
curve built into them already.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.