Computer Help Desk ...

September 6th, 2016 at 6:30:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 330
Posts: 11585
Quote: Face
How about a multi-monitor walkthrough?


I've never used more than one monitor at a time, but the basics are:

1) Look at your PCs ports and see what you have. If there is a second HDMI or monitor port, you only need another cable.

2) Ask around places like Best Buy.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
September 6th, 2016 at 6:55:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 744
Posts: 8747
Quote: Face
I've been planning on a three screen for sim racing in the future, but I find a double screen would be a great improvement now so I'm looking for some help. I use a 40" flat screen now, and I have another sitting right here. These are what I'd like to use, and would prefer hooking them up via the HDMI cable. My PC is as follows...


Two screens are very common, and many computers have two video outputs, even if one is an old fashioned SVGA port. You may have the old cables in your home right now. I think you should worry about equipment for a triple screen when you are about to go there. For racing you will probably want three monitors of the same size.

Quote: Face

Windows 10 (which was raped unto me without prompt and post repeated refusal =p)
Intel quad core i7-3770 CPU @ 340GHz
16GB RAM
64 bit OS
NVIDEA GeForce GTX 660 vid card


How many video outputs does your computer have an of what type?

Quote: Face
That plus some sort of splitter?) and how to get the PC to do it. Is there a tutorial somewhere?


Splitters make for multiple video signals on two different monitors. You want an extended desktop. If your computer has two different video ports, and you can plug in your second monitor, I think it is relatively straightforward. I haven't done it in years, but most of the military computers had two or three monitors.

If you don't have two video outputs, then you may need some equipment
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D0QC0A/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004AIJE9G&linkCode=as2&tag=technipages-20&linkId=DEBJTLPEH75J6WQA
September 6th, 2016 at 3:24:09 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3163
Quote: Nareed

2) Ask around places like Best Buy.


If I left the house, I wouldn't be bothering you ;)

Quote: Pacomartin
Two screens are very common, and many computers have two video outputs, even if one is an old fashioned SVGA port. You may have the old cables in your home right now. I think you should worry about equipment for a triple screen when you are about to go there. For racing you will probably want three monitors of the same size.

How many video outputs does your computer have an of what type?


Ah! Looks like I have two of those 17(?) pin blue female outlets (assume the SVGA?) and two HDMI. Yay! =)



Quote: Paco
Splitters make for multiple video signals on two different monitors. You want an extended desktop. If your computer has two different video ports, and you can plug in your second monitor, I think it is relatively straightforward. I haven't done it in years, but most of the military computers had two or three monitors.

If you don't have two video outputs, then you may need some equipment
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D0QC0A/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004AIJE9G&linkCode=as2&tag=technipages-20&linkId=DEBJTLPEH75J6WQA


So it's as simple as just getting another HDMI cable, plugging it all in, and viola? It just "happens"?

Remember, I said Luddite ;)

PS - I left you a question in the Random Thought of the Day thread. Figured as a Navy man, you'd be my best bet. Thanks for the help with the PC =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 6th, 2016 at 3:46:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 330
Posts: 11585
Quote: Face
So it's as simple as just getting another HDMI cable, plugging it all in, and viola? It just "happens"?


All my experience consists in connecting an external monitor to a laptop running Win8(.1) and Win10. It was just a repeater and the screen utility that, I think, popped up on its own was easy to use for deactivating the native screen on the laptop. I've no idea how you configure it to run separate displays. There's an icon on the Win10 taskbar for managing multiple desktops, so perhaps you want to look there.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
September 6th, 2016 at 4:37:07 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
Two screens:

- place monitors in desires positions on desk top
- plug monitors into each output of the graphics card.
- turn on monitors.
- right click on the desktop (assume Windows, if your using something else, it's probably easier on a Mac and god have mercy on your soul if a Linux box)
- select display settings
- wait a mo. screen should come up and show both displays. You can then configure the lay out of them (which is left, which is right), the resolution, and if they mirror each other (suspect not wanted) or make one big arse desktop.

Once there you should be good to go. If you can land simulated air craft on a carrier, I'm sure you can do this :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 6th, 2016 at 4:57:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 744
Posts: 8747
Quote: TheCesspit
(assume Windows, if your using something else, it's probably easier on a Mac and god have mercy on your soul if a Linux box)


I'm running a Linux box. I plugged two monitors in, one with HDMI, and the second with SVGA (blue D shaped 15 pins).


I then went to settings and my choices were which one I wanted as Primary monitor, and which one I wanted as secondary monitor. Which one was on the left and which one was on the right. Did I want the secondary monitor to "mirror" the first one or to be an "extended desktop". Presumably you want an extended desktop unless you are showing someone what you are doing.
September 6th, 2016 at 7:05:07 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm running a Linux box. I plugged two monitors in, one with HDMI, and the second with SVGA (blue D shaped 15 pins).


I then went to settings and my choices were which one I wanted as Primary monitor, and which one I wanted as secondary monitor. Which one was on the left and which one was on the right. Did I want the secondary monitor to "mirror" the first one or to be an "extended desktop". Presumably you want an extended desktop unless you are showing someone what you are doing.


Easy peasy... I bet on some Linux systems you'd have to pray to Baal... those would be ones with out a real GUI :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 6th, 2016 at 11:59:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 744
Posts: 8747
Quote: TheCesspit

Easy peasy... I bet on some Linux systems you'd have to pray to Baal... those would be ones with out a real GUI :)


I seem to be having trouble because the two monitors are different native resolutions. It may be a limitation of the card, as you can only select one resolution.
September 15th, 2016 at 11:25:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 5005
what is an echo dot? Why would I want one? Why would I want five of them?

Why does Chrome only open a new window and take me teh NewSite only when I actually click on the NewWindow tab? I used to be able to open three new windows in Chrome: PornSite1, PornSite2 and Pornsite3 and each would be waiting for me, but now there are just the three tabs but until I actually click on the tab, the site doesn't even begin to load.

If watching a movie on Amazon why does my IP address suddenly switch to this 192.xxxx something instead of staying as its been and why does my computer suddenly insist its not connected to the internet.
September 15th, 2016 at 1:26:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
Too many porn sites, some sort of virus :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life