Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

May 7th, 2021 at 10:43:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford

And so it begins. The next symptom to look for is an urge to drive a Grand Marquis?

Burgundy with a burgundy interior.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 7th, 2021 at 10:45:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Mission146
I guess the question is: How young? I'm not even forty yet, so maybe you meant younger than me.

I suppose you've had cable TV or streaming your whole life. When we were kids re-runs were not a standard part of TV viewing. Most of these shows ended when you were fairly young.

Final Broadcast Season
The Golden Girls: May 9, 1992
Cheers: May 20, 1993
Wings May 21, 1997
Married With Children June 9, 1997
Seinfeld: May 14, 1998
Frasier: May 13, 2004
King of the Hill May 6, 2010

Family Guy premiered on January 31, 1999
Lucifer
The Orville
May 7th, 2021 at 10:53:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
I suppose you've had cable TV or streaming your whole life. When we were kids re-runs were not a standard part of TV viewing. Most of these shows ended when you were fairly young.

Final Broadcast Season
The Golden Girls: May 9, 1992
Cheers: May 20, 1993
Wings May 21, 1997
Married With Children June 9, 1997
Frasier: May 13, 2004
King of the Hill May 6, 2010

Family Guy premiered on January 31, 1999
Lucifer
The Orville

I wouldn't say my whole life, but some part of my childhood depending on how things were going financially. After only phone service, it was the first thing to find itself getting, "Turned back on."

A few of those shows were on Basic TV channels (the ones you always would get, even with no cable) and reruns would sometimes occur on those channels. Wings was a show that I didn't really watch on reruns, I watched that when I was a kid. I remember watching the final episodes of Cheers and Seinfeld as a kid.

I have actually not watched the complete series of Frasier, as much as I enjoyed the show, because it was around the early 2000's that I started almost never watching TV. The only TV I watch now is when my fiancee is streaming something, or what have you, except The Orville---which I wanted to watch on my own because it's basically a funny take on Star Trek TNG.

Anyway, any of the shows that ended in the 90's that are not The Golden Girls I would have mostly been watching as they aired, also Frasier.

I imagine I'd have been more into, "Kids shows," if we'd had cable more often! I never really got into cartoons because I spent as much time as possible outside except for when I was expected to be inside.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 7th, 2021 at 2:44:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Number 1 comedy
Get Smart
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 7th, 2021 at 9:41:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Hard to believe Seinfeld premiered 32 years ago. I watch New York City Live video walkers everyday because New York City is an extremely interesting place, you never see the same thing twice. There is this one guy who has to mention Seinfeld just about every video he does because Seinfeld was about New York City. But the funny thing is, not a single episode was shot in NYC. At a back lot in Hollywood they had a 3 block NYC street built. All the outdoor scenes we're done on that lot and the rest was filmed in a Hollywood studio. I don't think this guy knows that, he thinks it was all filmed in the city.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 7th, 2021 at 11:41:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The first time I remember seeing a political cartoon about people throwing out their TV was because Mary Tyler Moore Show ended on March 19, 1977. There was a handful of superstations, but very few people had cable and the idea of perpetual re-runs day and night was still in it's infancy.

When CNN was launched on June 1, 1980 cable started to become widespread. There were many long running TV shows before cable was the norm, The Red Skelton Show, Gunsmoke, Lassie, My Three Sons, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. I am not sure when the goal of a TV series was to make roughly 100 episodes so it would make money in syndication and then the actors would move on to another series.

The first dramatic series that I remember that was made for syndication was Star Trek, The Next Generation (September 28, 1987 – May 23, 1994). Before that series made for syndication were talk and game shows.
May 8th, 2021 at 7:37:04 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The first shows that showed over and over were the Saturday morning kids shows. In the 50's I knew all the Disney and Warner cartoons by heart. These were all the cartoons that were originally shown in theatres. Mighty Mouse had his own 1/2 hr. for many years. All the 'shorts' that were created for play in the theatres ahead of the main features were also standard fare on Saturday mornings, including the serial ones that when in the theatres would always end on a cliff hanger.

The original classics in the serial genre were the old western dusters that would end with the heroine tied to the train tracks.

Syndication was just a continuation of this Paco. The independent stations with no network affiliation always found programming where ever they could.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 8th, 2021 at 8:27:21 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: kenarman
...... The independent stations with no network affiliation always found programming where ever they could.

This is exactly how the Fox network started, as I recall. At least in Austin where I lived at the time, Fox took over an independent station on Sunday nights only, to air their programming, like The Tracy Ullman Show. And then added Thursday night too after awhile. It took quite a while for Fox to gain its own channel on the lineup.
May 8th, 2021 at 3:35:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: kenarman
Syndication was just a continuation of this Paco. The independent stations with no network affiliation always found programming where ever they could.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) barred network-affiliated stations within the top 50 television markets from airing network-originated programs in the hour preceding prime time. This legislation, known as the Prime Time Access Rule, was in effect from 1971 to 1995, and as a result independents faced less competition for syndicated reruns.

In the 1980s, television syndicators began offering original, first-run series such as Solid Gold, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, Star Search, Independent Network News and Star Trek: The Next Generation (as well as cancelled network series revived for first-run syndication such as Fame, Too Close for Comfort, Charles in Charge, It's a Living and Baywatch),
May 8th, 2021 at 3:53:44 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) barred network-affiliated stations within the top 50 television markets from airing network-originated programs in the hour preceding prime time. This legislation, known as the Prime Time Access Rule, was in effect from 1971 to 1995, and as a result independents faced less competition for syndicated reruns.

In the 1980s, television syndicators began offering original, first-run series such as Solid Gold, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, Star Search, Independent Network News and Star Trek: The Next Generation (as well as cancelled network series revived for first-run syndication such as Fame, Too Close for Comfort, Charles in Charge, It's a Living and Baywatch),

The point in my post was that syndication started before that as the studios dusted off their old film, particularly the serials.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin