Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

May 10th, 2021 at 9:39:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix. Apparently this is from a comic book and Netflix has bought the rights to everything they produce. Jupiter's Legacy has only been around since 2013. Good cast, good production values, good CGI. What this is about seems a little Juvenile and stupid. We have well-known actors like Josh Duhamel walking around in a silly costume wearing a cape. I've made it through 3 episodes and there a some action but it's mostly just talk talk talk. Supposedly this is going to be five seasons 8 episodes each. So far it's extremely boring. I'm only hanging in there because some of the reviews say it gets better. When Josh Duhamel is wearing his costume he looks like a freaking moron. They must be paying him a boatload of money.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 10th, 2021 at 1:33:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix.

"Despite some truly epic fights, Jupiter's Legacy is simply too overstuffed and slow-moving to land many narrative punches." - rotten tomatoes concensus.

I have to admit I watched all 8 episodes partly on the promise of the cliff-hanger (which I did not expect).

I have to say that the narrative made very little sense, neither the flashback to the 1930's nor the present day sequence.

That said the costumes and the adventure story in the 1930's echoed the very best of the original King Kong. I would very much enjoy it if they pieced together the backstory into one summary episode.

The present narrative day was basically Valley of the Dolls with superheros. "Why can't you just TALK to them!" "My majic van! She wrecked my majic van!"
May 10th, 2021 at 2:27:53 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Watched Without Remorse on Prime, based on the Tom Clancy novel by the same name. This movie has been an on-again off-again project for about 20 years. The best thing about the timing of this release is that Tom Clancy is not here to see it. Without Remorse is my favorite Clancy novel. It's a great story. Too bad the screen writer derided not to use it.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 10th, 2021 at 4:01:18 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Watched Without Remorse on Prime, based on the Tom Clancy novel by the same name. This movie has been an on-again off-again project for about 20 years. The best thing about the timing of this release is that Tom Clancy is not here to see it. Without Remorse is my favorite Clancy novel. It's a great story. Too bad the screen writer derided not to use it.

Is there anything out there worth streaming
My opinion the last must see series was Queens Gambit
Before that Game of Thrones

I'm actually not subscribed to any service because I have not heard any real buzz about any current series being must see
Actually bought MLB streaming instead to watch Ohtani hit and pitch
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 10th, 2021 at 4:34:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined

The Crown
Downton Abbey
Sherlock Holmes the one with Benedict Cumberbatch
Longmire
Bloodline
Ozark
Bosch
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 10th, 2021 at 4:50:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin

I have to say that the narrative made very little sense, neither the flashback to the 1930's nor the present day sequence.

The narrative jumps all over the place getting more confusing by the minute. The producers act like we're supposed to know the story already and 95% of the audience does not. And here we go with the rewriting of Black history again. In the 1930s white people did not pal around with black people, in fact it was a time of huge racial discrimination in this country. There were no black people in professional sports, every black person in the movies portrayed a servant or musician, the KKK was at its height. Why are the writers of these things always trying to change history, it does a great disservice to black people.
May 10th, 2021 at 4:57:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I have been re-watching Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 one, not the original). It's pretty close to a perfect show (for regular television, streaming services and premium channels will always have an advantage in terms of time constraints and content). I think that it is probably the best Scifi show of the last 20 years, hands down, everything about it is so perfect from its continuity, to its story, to its characters and actors. Some of the effects are dated, but not in any major way that detracts from the experience.
May 10th, 2021 at 10:44:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
I just finished episode 3 Jupiter's Legacy and I'm done. It's a mess, there's all these side stories going on and they don't explain any of them. This series gets a dismal 34% on Rotten Tomatoes. They say basically what I'm saying, that it's slow and convoluted and half the time you don't know what's going on. They plan on making four more seasons of this, never going to happen.
May 11th, 2021 at 8:22:01 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix. Apparently this is from a comic book and Netflix has bought the rights to everything they produce. Jupiter's Legacy has only been around since 2013. Good cast, good production values, good CGI. What this is about seems a little Juvenile and stupid. We have well-known actors like Josh Duhamel walking around in a silly costume wearing a cape. I've made it through 3 episodes and there a some action but it's mostly just talk talk talk. Supposedly this is going to be five seasons 8 episodes each. So far it's extremely boring. I'm only hanging in there because some of the reviews say it gets better. When Josh Duhamel is wearing his costume he looks like a freaking moron. They must be paying him a boatload of money.

Never saw it and doubt I ever will---but he does look like an entry-level cosplayer.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 11th, 2021 at 8:23:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
Quote: JimRockford

My opinion the last must see series was Queens Gambit
Before that Game of Thrones

I'm actually not subscribed to any service because I have not heard any real buzz about any current series being must see
Actually bought MLB streaming instead to watch Ohtani hit and pitch

The second part of the current Lucifer season is coming later this month. It's never too late to start the series!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman