Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

December 31st, 2021 at 1:00:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Watching the last episode of Witcher tonight. Oddly enough I don't have a single complaint about this season which is unusual for me. Acting was good, outstanding production values, believable story. They complained last year was too much gratuitous nudity and there hasn't been any nudity this year. They also tone down women doing ridiculous things acting like men. It is still a woman driven show but season 2 is definitely better than season 1. I'm going to re-watch season 1 after this. Henry Cavill could have been in it more but they really have to be careful cuz a little of his character goes a long way.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 31st, 2021 at 11:17:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
I'm going to re-watch season 1 after this.

In rewatching season 1 I forgot how much nudity was in the first season. They certainly toned it down for season 2 as I think they didn't want to upset to many parents.
January 1st, 2022 at 7:39:10 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
In rewatching season 1 I forgot how much nudity was in the first season.

Way to sell it, Paco!
January 1st, 2022 at 8:18:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
Way to sell it, Paco!
Quote: Mission146
I watched two episodes sometime ago, too much unnecessary nudity in that show for my liking, and I also think it's boring. It probably doesn't help that the two episodes were mid-season, so I really couldn't figure out what was going on.

I was responding to Mission146's observation about "unnecessary nudity". I forgot there was an orgy scene in the first season. The director ended up cutting a number of scenes from the first season, so it seems that they simply didn't put them into the second season.

Henry Cavill (age 38) and Anya Chalotra (age 25).

Freya Allen's (age 20) role in the 2nd season is greatly expanded. Freya was cast for the role just few weeks after her 17th birthday. Since obviously the show is viewed by teens, I think the producers wanted to make it more parent-friendly.
January 1st, 2022 at 9:08:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
In rewatching season 1 I forgot how much nudity was in the first season. They certainly toned it down for season 2 as I think they didn't want to upset to many parents.

There's a scene in season 2 we're a bunch of hookers visit The Witcher conclave and there is some brief nudity I think but nothing like season 1. There's a brutal scene in episode 7 that I could have done without, but oh well. There's something sick about it. A witch or a sorcerer or whatever they call themselves, she puts a poisons a group of man so they're still conscious but they can't move. Then she kills them one by one in a brutal sick way. I didn't care for that, I thought it was unnecessary sadomasochistic BS. So I guess I do have a complaint about season 2.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 1st, 2022 at 12:42:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
There's a brutal scene in episode 7 that I could have done without, but oh well.

But that scene goes well with Tissaia de Vries observation "there's nothing like a higher purpose to permit men to do the unspeakable." (one of my favorite quotes)

The character that does those murders is "Fringilla Vigo" who previously was not sadistic, but she is politically motivated. The Usurper had all of the mages moved to prison. Fringilla was there for years before Emhyr (the White flame) found her and set her free. Fringilla's new higher purpose is to serve the White Flame.

In an earlier episode one of Fringilla's comrades cuts a chunk out of Queen Calanthe's arm and eats her flesh. Fringilla then guts him and is able to determine that Ciri is in Brokilon forest. But by the time she murders the generals who she had paralyzed with nightshade she has completely devoted herself to the higher purpose, and fulfills the observation of Tissaia de Vries.
January 1st, 2022 at 3:46:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Watching the last episode of Witcher tonight. Oddly enough I don't have a single complaint about this season which is unusual for me. Acting was good, outstanding production values, believable story. They complained last year was too much gratuitous nudity and there hasn't been any nudity this year. They also tone down women doing ridiculous things acting like men. It is still a woman driven show but season 2 is definitely better than season 1. I'm going to re-watch season 1 after this. Henry Cavill could have been in it more but they really have to be careful cuz a little of his character goes a long way.
I will give this a try and see if I can get into it. I'll just have to ff through the wanton violence. A little killing is ok, but I got tired of graphic bloodshed long ago.

As far as some nudity goes, I can appreciate scoping out a firm young lady, but I'm not going to watch hours of it, my wife watches with me, and we both have a remote. She thinks alike, some nudity is ok, but we are there for the entertainment.

Started watching Schitt's creek again. Sometimes the second or third round is even better, when you don't have to listen so hard and can pay attention to the acting and the sets, facial expressions and so forth.

I'm in need of another series to binge on. Getting ready to try Ozark again, I think season 4 starts at the end of this month. I wouldn't mind rewatching the series to be tuned in for season 4.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 2nd, 2022 at 11:02:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
I finished season 2 of Witcher the last episode was not bad. Lots of CGI, lots of angst. In the making of Witcher 2 one of the producers says they had no choice but to bring back Jackster, the comedy relief singer, or they would have received non-stop death threats. He's one of the most popular characters on the show. If the coming seasons are as good as this one this could go five or six seasons. This is going to be popular all over the world because just about every race is in it. Blacks whites Asians Hispanics I think I might have seen an Eskimo.
January 3rd, 2022 at 6:12:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I finished season 2 of Witcher the last episode was not bad.

Netflix has greenlit a mini series prequel set 1200 years earlier showing the origin of the Witchers. It will air later this year. It has finished filming and went into post-production in November 2021.

January 3rd, 2022 at 9:20:04 AM permalink
Evenbob
Netflix has greenlit a mini series prequel set 1200 years earlier showing the origin of the Witchers. It will air later this year. It has finished filming and went into post-production in November 2021.

If it doesn't have Henry Cavill in it I won't be watching it.