Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

January 16th, 2022 at 12:26:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The last Duel
It was pretty good
Ben Affleck was great. Surprised because I never thought he was a good actor. He hit this one out of the park. At first I did not recognize him because he did such a fabulous job in a supporting role. When you forget the actor and just enjoy the character, that's great acting.
Its on HBO
The battle scenes were great. Classic Ridley Scott.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2022 at 3:30:10 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
The last Duel
It was pretty good
Ben Affleck was great. Surprised because I never thought he was a good actor. He hit this one out of the park. At first I did not recognize him because he did such a fabulous job in a supporting role. When you forget the actor and just enjoy the character, that's great acting.
Its on HBO
The battle scenes were great. Classic Ridley Scott.

Ben Affleck is fantastic, excellent speaker, gives a great interview.

Besides, this:

Sealed it! Great speech!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 23rd, 2022 at 1:25:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I just signed up again for HBO because the new series The Gilded Age starts tomorrow written by Julian Fellowes who gave us Downton Abbey. I've been waiting for this for three years since I first heard about it, t's got an 87% on Rotten Tomatoes already. Julian Fellowes wrote every episode just like in Downton Abbey. If you go right now you can get HBO for $7.99 a month for a year. They have all the Harry Potter movies which I don't think they had before last time I was there. There are a couple of those I haven't seen.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2022 at 9:10:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
HBO Max and HBO hit 73.8 million subscribers as of Jan 5, 2022.
Netflix's North American subscriber base is over 73 million , but 222 million globally.
Disney+ has 118.1 million subscribers worldwide as it is considerably less expensive than HBO Max or Netflix.
Paramount+ and Showtime Near 47 Million Combined Global by third-quarter 2021

US Amazon Prime Subscribers are 151.9 million in the US as of the end of 2021. Although that is double the numbe of Netflix subscribers in the US, a higher percentage do not stream video, but use the Service to get discounts on shipping goods.

Amazon Prime seems to have a smaller number of series but they tend to be more expensive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Amazon_Prime_Video_original_programming

The appetite for fantasy series seems to be unlimited, evidence of the worldwide popularity of "The Witcher" from Poland on Netflix.

The "Rings of Power" is adapted from "The Lord of the Rings" and the first episode will appear on Amazon Prime on September 2, 2022
January 25th, 2022 at 3:52:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
A lot of those HBO max numbers may be due to ATT free membership at unlimited data tier.

Just started season 4 Ozark
What a brutal show just 1 episode into the new season
And
The Byrd family just gets absurdly deeper
Looks like their son that started as a kid season 1 and is now a teen getting a bigger part season 4.
Got the popcorn out :-)

Also getting hooked on the Witcher. Several episodes into season 1 and am enjoying it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 25th, 2022 at 5:44:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin

The appetite for fantasy series seems to be unlimited, evidence of the worldwide popularity of "The Witcher" from Poland on Netflix.

The second season was completely filmed in the United Kingdom, the first season was in Poland.
The Gilded Age what you just started yesterday on HBO is set in New York City but it was totally
shot in England. There would be no reason to shoot it in New York City because that city and
how it looked in 1882 no longer exist. So far the production values are astounding as is the cast.

Nathan Lane is in the Gilded Age and he says about the cast, "there's an Emmy Award winner over
there and a Tony winner, and over there you'll bump into an Oscar winner. Everywhere you turn it's
award winners."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2022 at 12:25:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
HBO has a new season of Sex in the City. I loved the old series 20 years ago I have probably seen the whole thing three or four times. I thought it was very well done even if I was not attracted to any of the women cuz they were all ballbusting bitches, I still enjoyed it. The new updated series is pretty good if the first episode is any indication. Samantha is gone but I could never stand her anyway she's the only character I didn't like. They have really caught the flavor of the old show in women who are now in their mid-50s and talk about being in their mid-50s. And they all look pretty good, it's kind of amazing. I think Charlotte has had some work done on her mouth but she doesn't look bad. And Chris Noth is back as mr. big which kind of surprised me.
January 27th, 2022 at 4:32:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
And Chris Noth is back as mr. big which kind of surprised me.

He dies very early on after a Peloton workout.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 29th, 2022 at 3:22:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Has anyone signed up for free or what they thought was free tv through "Peacock" or "Paramount" and then decided they didn't want to receive services any longer and it was difficult to get un subscribed from them?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 31st, 2022 at 1:19:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Evenbob
HBO has a new season of Sex in the City. I loved the old series 20 years ago I have probably seen the whole thing three or four times.

I've watched four episodes and I still like it but not as much as I did for most of the first episode. They killed off mr. Big in a fairly graphic way and I was surprised at the emotional reaction I had to it. I liked his character on the show, but they had to kill him off because Carrie had to be single again. The show is all about her being single that's why she didn't get married until the last episode of the last season. The three women looked so good in the first episode because professional makeup is a wonderful thing. By episode four we were seeing all three of them in various stages of makeup and they all look their mid-50s age. Especially Sarah Jessica Parker because she's so skinny and skinny women never age well. Somebody who aged well was Betty White who in her mid-50s on the Mary Tyler Moore Show looked great.