Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

December 8th, 2021 at 4:08:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
People who want accuracy in a historical drama, that's who.

What difference does skin color make?

People are people, actors are actors.

Either they nail the role as an actor or they don't.

Skin color should be irrelevant; better pause and ask yourself why you think it is.
December 8th, 2021 at 5:15:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
What difference does skin color make?

So in your world a George Washington biopic would have a black
actor playing Washington and his slaves white all be white and
that would be okay with you and it would be historically accurate.
What happens when you switch the roles of blacks and whites
in history is you denigrate the role African Americans had in this
country. It makes it look like blacks and whites were absolutely
equal 250 years ago when the polar opposite was true. If I was
African-American it would piss me off royally. It's like in the 50s
and 60s when the actors portraying Indians in the movies and
on TV we're all white actors. Native Americans raised so much
hell over this that it was eventually stopped. By the seventies
it had totally changed.. In movies like The Outlaw Josey Wales
all the Indians were portrayed by actual Native Americans.
Even the famous actor Iron Eyes Cody who portrayed an Indian
in hundreds of movies was actually Italian.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 8th, 2021 at 7:12:47 PM permalink
missedhervee
You can huff and puff but that ain't enough.

I am USED to seeing whites playing white people, but that doesn't mean it has to be that way.

You see EB, part of the "woke" movement is to give people such as yourself insight into your prejuidices, the hope being you'll come to the only sane conclusion: "people are people."

Race / skin color matters not a whit as to how a person lives, behaves, or in this case acts.

Frankly I could care less if a biopic portrayed Queen Elizabeth as pygmy, so long as she nailed the role she was cast for.

It might be cool to see Washington portrayed by a Puerto Rican or a Chinese: why not?

Really, what does it matter?

History is constantly being rewritten anyway.
December 8th, 2021 at 9:14:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
The Queen of England was black? Half the aristocracy was black? No it wasn't, none of it was in 1831. In England the slaves were not even freed until 1833 and even then they were still non-citizens or treated that way.

With features reputed to be conspicuously African by her contemporaries, it is no wonder that the Black community, both in the U.S. and throughout the British Commonwealth, has rallied for generations around depictions of Queen Charlotte (1744-1818), wife of the English King George III (1738-1820), portrayed as she usually is in the regal and sumptuous splendor of her coronation robes. Queen Charlotte, was directly descended from Margarita de Castro y Sousa, a Black branch of the Portuguese royal house.

As for the black aristrocracy that is supposed to be a fantasy.

Bridgerton is a fantasy set in the period from 1810-1818 after George III was declared mad and his son was the Regent (or acting king). Charlotte was age 66-74 and presided over London society. She is the source of the names of Charlotte, North Carolina; Charlottesville, Virginia; Charlotte County, Virginia, Charlotte County, Florida, Port Charlotte, Florida, Charlotte Harbor, Florida, and Charlotte, Vermont.
December 8th, 2021 at 10:49:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
You can huff and puff but that ain't enough.

I am USED to seeing whites playing white people, but that doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Cool. You can watch inaccurate confusing historical crap and I'll avoid it like the plague. Everybody's wins.
It wasn't just the juxtaposition of actors, it's that the acting sucks. I mean really really sucked.
And the story was awful. It's like a expensive really bad soap opera in really inappropriate gowns.
That was another criticism, that nobody in that era dressed like that everyday. So everything about this is fake.
This is obviously geared toward teenage girls and young women because they were the main characters ,
there was a ton of them. All laughing and giggling and being jealous of each other. No thanks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2021 at 6:32:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Cowboy bebop
One of the best things about the show is the superb music
Its fantastic
Its by Yoko Kano
A female Japanese composer tasked with writing bebop music for a cartoon anime and she just writes what I consider the best bebop song ever. Tank
Netflix was smart to bring her back for the live action series
Here is a story on her
Tank is played the 1st half of the video below.

Canceled today after one season.

This is why I never bother with Netflix shows till I know they’re popular. Netflix can be brutal with the cancellations.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 9th, 2021 at 7:26:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There were really multiple issues. At least 3 that I can think of. One was not having any of your group represented by your own people. Two, was even if your people had parts, prime parts went to whites. And third, not only did you not have those two first things, but you often had negative stereotypes being portrayed of your group.

I think people actually aren't that disturbed by seeing someone different from them, but if all of the above is going on, they aren't going to be too affirming. IMO, it was hardly just about someone just not being native American. It was all of the above that created the aggravation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 9th, 2021 at 9:44:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
There were really multiple issues. At least 3 that I can think of. One was not having any of your group represented by your own people.

But Mr V says that it doesn't matter who plays
what part. It doesn't matter if a black guy plays
George Washington with white slaves. He says
we live in a wonderful woke culture where it
doesn't matter what actors play what roles.
What a bunch of malarkey.
December 9th, 2021 at 11:10:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
As long as people hold hidebound views such as yours many may question whether life is worth living.

The world could be much, much better than it currently is, and advocates of "woke" culture see that clearly.

Race should not matter, period.
December 10th, 2021 at 1:05:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
As long as people hold hidebound views such as yours many may question whether life is worth living.

The world could be much, much better than it currently is, and advocates of "woke" culture see that clearly.

Race should not matter, period.

LOL LOL! You should have been a stand-up comic..