Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

August 31st, 2016 at 6:23:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
In the biggest no-brainer of the year: Netflix has picked up Stranger Things for a 9-episode season 2, to premiere next year.

They put out a teaser for it, featuring the episode titles of all 9 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWG_kKDZlY

Is this worth watching?
What's it about?
Good writing?
I watched the teaser. I have no idea what this is about
I was actually considering dropping Netflix since I am now hooked on the Wire on Amazon
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 31st, 2016 at 6:27:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Is this worth watching?
What's it about?
Good writing?
I watched the teaser. I have no idea what this is about
I was actually considering dropping Netflix since I am now hooked on the Wire on Amazon

Give it a shot. Season 1 is only 8 episodes.

It's a love letter to 80's Stephen Spielberg movies (with some Stephen King thrown in for good measure).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 31st, 2016 at 2:13:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In the biggest no-brainer of the year: Netflix has picked up Stranger Things for a 9-episode season 2, to premiere next year.

This guy did a pretty credible scene by scene comparison of Stranger Things and movies from the 1980's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBjgFt6lVHM
August 31st, 2016 at 2:18:52 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: zippyboy
Exactly how I was in my youth with girls! Bed as many as I could! lol

....and now back to the Netflix pans thread....

With every post I was growing more and more concerned, and WHOOSH, zippy saves the day!

I laughed. Thanks =)

Edit: Sort of on topic, anyone familiar with the Amazon thing? I see Jez, Dick, and Jim are doing their Top Gear thing sans Top Gear and would love to follow, but it's on some Amazon thing. Is that a service, like Netflix? Or what's the deal?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 31st, 2016 at 2:46:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
Edit: Sort of on topic, anyone familiar with the Amazon thing?

Amazon Prime is a shipping, book, and video service.

Amazon Video isn't just a pure all-you-can-eat video streaming service either. There are also options to rent and buy titles, featuring some films and TV series that are a little bit newer than the core selection. Netflix, conversely, is a pure subscription service, with no extra charges to pay even if you wanted to.

I think most people get it for the benefits on shipping if you already buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. I doubt that it is worth the money for the video alone.
August 31st, 2016 at 3:31:42 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin
. I doubt that it is worth the money for the video alone.

Actually I have it just for the video
Watched both seasons of Bosch, watched last 4 seasons of OZ
Currently hooked on the Wire season 1
Where else can I watch these?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 31st, 2016 at 3:45:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
Actually I have it just for the video

I shouldn't speak of something I only hear about.

Amazon keeps their subscription service statistics secret. Independent estimates have been made at 54 million for 2015. Netflix US streaming subscribers reached 44.7 million by the end of 2015. Netflix keeps the viewership numbers of individual shows secret, so Amazon obviously does as well.

As Amazon Prime members average $500 more in spending than non-members. So they could probably earn back the $100 a year in reduced shipping costs.

I personally don't know anyone who gets Amazon Prime purely for the videos, and I have read that most people don't. But obviously there are exceptions.
August 31st, 2016 at 6:37:34 PM permalink
terapined
Give it a shot. Season 1 is only 8 episodes.

It's a love letter to 80's Stephen Spielberg movies (with some Stephen King thrown in for good measure).

Watched ep 1
Ok, now I want to know WTF is going on
September 22nd, 2016 at 4:56:22 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin
My neighbor highly recommended the following. He said it was one of the best films he has ever seen. I haven't watched it yet.

Michiel de Ruyter is a 2015 Dutch film about the 17th-century admiral Michiel de Ruyter directed by Roel Reiné. The film had its world premiere in the Nederlands Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam on 26 January 2015 and has been released in cinemas in the Netherlands on 29 January 2015. RT gives it 3 good out of 5 reviews.

On Netflix it is just call ADMIRAL. Don't type in THE ADMIRAL or you will get the movie called MYEONG-RYANG (THE ADMIRAL) (2014) a historical movie about warfare between the Koreans and Japanese.

I just watched the other Admiral movie
The Admiral : Roaring Currents (Koreans vs Japanese) 2014
This one was great also
Outstanding historical naval battle with even longer odds 300 ships including 133 war ships vs 13 war ships on the Korean side
Only problem I had with the movie is those huge ships just seemed to fast and nimble. Probably done that way to add to the drama
Oh, by the way EB, warning, subtitles :-)
September 23rd, 2016 at 9:46:25 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Okay Paco, guess I forgot the thread you mentioned ARQ on Netflix. I just finished it. Time travel or time loop flick similar to Edge of Tomorrow or Groundhog Day. I liked how it gets right into the action rather than waste time with character development. That works in this movie I thought. Drops you into the action and slowly explains it a drop at a time for 90 minutes. I enjoyed the taser glove, like a brass knuckles made of electricity. Yeah...how cool is that! Lots of room for a sequel / prequel.