Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

September 26th, 2016 at 3:47:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: zippyboy
Okay Paco, guess I forgot the thread you mentioned ARQ on Netflix. I just finished it. Time travel or time loop flick similar to Edge of Tomorrow or Groundhog Day. I liked how it gets right into the action rather than waste time with character development. That works in this movie I thought. Drops you into the action and slowly explains it a drop at a time for 90 minutes. I enjoyed the taser glove, like a brass knuckles made of electricity. Yeah...how cool is that! Lots of room for a sequel / prequel.

I liked Arq
I give it 7 out of 10 stars
I wanted to know what they would try next
I liked those electric knuckles too.
Kind of neat the bad guy was catching on and knew he had to change it up every time also.
Didn't have to spend much on a set budget, whole movie pretty much takes place in just 3 rooms, bedroom, basement and kitchen
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 26th, 2016 at 11:39:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: zippyboy
Okay Paco, guess I forgot the thread you mentioned ARQ on Netflix. I just finished it. Time travel or time loop flick similar to Edge of Tomorrow or Groundhog Day. I liked how it gets right into the action rather than waste time with character development. .

Without giving too much away, it does have a darker tone than Groundhog Day, Source Code or Edge of Tomorrow. In that sense it is more like Twelve Monkeys or "A Most Unusual Camera".
September 28th, 2016 at 1:10:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin

I have to say Marcella is the best thing I've seen made by Netflix (2 out of 8 episodes). Very intense. I like that she is an extremely flawed character. She is given to violent rage and the implication is she may be slightly psychotic. She doctors evidence and outright lies periodically. I particularly liked one scene where Marcella is walking into the tube and passes a woman begging for money with a baby and she reaches into her pocket and pulls out a cell phone to make a call. She seems oblivious to the beggar. In a later scene she goes back to the woman and pays her to do something for Marcella's own benefit, which implies that she not only uses people, but she did notice her in the original scene.

In Land of the Lost from 2009 and from Pushing Daisies

Anna Friel in racier movie (but still safe for youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx9ezREF-O4
September 29th, 2016 at 3:22:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Netflix will raise prices in Mexico next month by 30%. Considering how seldom I make use of it, I think I should cancel before the next bill is due on Oct. 28th.

I do know the new Trek series will be there, as well as, supposedly, all other Trek series. That would be great, but not US $6.50 a month great.

Besides, I figure I can wait until the full first season of the series is in, pay one month, binge it, and then cancel :)

So long, Netflix. it was... ok, I guess.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 29th, 2016 at 4:30:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Marcella rated an 89% on rotten tomatoes (1 bad review in 8)

Quote: excerpts from BAD REVIEW NY Times June 30, 2016, on page C5

Anna Friel as the title character in the British police drama “Marcella.”

Photo credit Netflix

Television is full of cops who bend the rules, and of cops whose personal demons both hinder and help their work. But you’ve never seen a cop who’s quite as big a mess as Marcella Backland, the heroine — by default — of the British series “Marcella,” which makes its American debut on Netflix on Friday.

We first see her covered in blood and cowering in a bathtub. Then the story jumps back to another unhappy moment, when she learns by phone that her husband is leaving her. ... That’s our first inkling of her violent streak, but there will be plenty more across the season’s eight episodes.
Marcella, played with a permanent look of gloom by Anna Friel (“American Odyssey”), is seriously unsettled, and the show’s structure reflects her disorientation and distress. What looks like the central mystery — the return of a serial killer she failed to catch years before — is wrapped in twice the usual number of red-herring subplots, each violent and depressing in its own right. New characters are introduced without explanation through the length of the season.

“Marcella” makes you pay attention, and it makes you work to keep up. From moment to moment, that seems like a decent bargain, thanks to the taut work of the three directors, whose previous assignments include “Broadchurch” and the original “The Bridge,” and an excellent cast .

Eventually, though — actually, pretty quickly — you may start feeling more disbelief than you care to suspend.

One of the show’s creators, and its principal writer, is Hans Rosenfeldt, who has experience in the damaged-woman subgenre of cop shows — he created “The Bridge” and its socially awkward, possibly autistic heroine, Saga Noren. Saga, however, never seemed to be out of control.

David Tennant TV appearances
93% Marvel's Jessica Jones 2015
85% The Escape Artist 2013-2014
66% Gracepoint 2014
88% Broadchurch 2013
60% Spies Of Warsaw 2013
89% Doctor Who 2006
September 29th, 2016 at 5:14:43 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Anna Friel is simply brilliant. Never seen a bad performance from her, just bad scripts she's had.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 29th, 2016 at 5:56:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A lot of one and two star reviews on the Netflix
Marcella page. Mostly about her dour demeanor
all the time, and the story in general. Apparently
they kill an animal in one episode and that really
turns people off. It encourages people to do it,
that's why it's verboten. It sounds like a dark
violent show, I might look at it anyway. Not a
fan usually.

https://www.netflix.com/search/mar?jbv=80094728&jbp=2&jbr=1
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 29th, 2016 at 7:11:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Apparently they kill an animal in one episode and that really turns people off.

I suppose they think that killing a dog is worse than killing a child.

The show is very dark, violent and depressing. More and more European TV shows are in this genre, and they can be very disturbing. American shows keep the violence a little more cartoon-like and confine it to violent criminals. Innocents are not killed as often.
September 29th, 2016 at 7:38:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I suppose they think that killing a dog is worse than killing a child..

People feel differently about their dogs.
They often feel far closer to the family
pet than the family itself. Dogs are
always there for you, they never complain,
they never get mad, they always do what
you want to do, and very enthusiastically.
Dogs experience, in a limited fashion,
30 of the same emotions we do. You can
get closer to a dog emotionally than any
other animal. I remember when Mickey
Rourke won a big award for The Wrestler.
He had been down and out for years. In
his acceptance speech, he thanked his
dogs for pulling him thru that time
emotionally. All his friends had deserted
him, something a dog will never do. Only
a dog person would understand what he
was talking about. A relationship you
have with a special dog can be the most
fulfilling one you ever have.

This was my sig line for a long time.

"I've been around people and I've been
around dogs. I prefer dogs." Charles DeGaulle
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 30th, 2016 at 4:40:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin

CBS bought the rights to this book last summer and aired a TV series about it. The first season was diverting fun, but the second season seems to have jumped the shark badly and the animals are developing some alien like powers.

Did anyone read the book? I was wondering if they used up the ideas in the book in the first season, and now some stoned twenty somethings are writing the storyline.
-----------------

I dislike genre jumping. There was a very entertaining thriller directed by James Cameron called "The Abyss" that came out in 1989. It followed The Terminator (1984), Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985), and Aliens (1986).

In the last section of the movie, it seemed that they wanted to show off the burgeoning Computer Graphics industry, and all these aliens appeared.

In particular 27 years later when those CG images are the fodder of cheap TV shows, the movie has lost any eternal qualities as the story line was just terminated with cheap writing.