Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

October 3rd, 2016 at 7:47:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mosca
Watched The Shallows today. First half was decent, middle was okay, the ending was incredibly stupid.

A bad ending can spoil the entire movie.

TV shows are famous for making bad endings, though much of the criticism focuses on the very last scene. But the run is so long, usually, and always in comparison to a movie, that a bad ending can't spoil years of melodrama.

Curiously Babylon 5 had not one but two rather good endings. The nominal series finale "Sleeping in Light," but one can also count the fourth season finale (actually shot along with the fifth season), "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars."

The former closes the character arcs, though without some details on certain characters. The latter tells us some of what happens to Earth and the Galaxy long into the future.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 3rd, 2016 at 5:51:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Just watched "Poverty, Inc" and it really shows the problems with the poverty-industrial complex. I had thought it might be about the USA when I tuned in, but it was about the Third World, mainly Haiti.

Seems the earthquake of several years back was a disaster not for all the damage but all the NGOs who set up shop. Equating it to Katrina, imagine if lots of foreigners dropped in to help and never left. Giving away this and that. What would happen? The local economy would collapse for all the "free" stuff. But it goes on and on and on.

Tom's Shoes, sells a pair in a Western country for a fair price and gives a pair away in a Third World country. What does that do to the local cobbler who cannot compete on free and maybe not even quite on quality. Eventually the local industries dies.

The West wants to help so our musicians make a recording and raise all kinds of money and try to help, but in the end just lock people in poverty. The same probably can be said of the poor in the USA, of course.

Even a clip of Bill Clinton saying how we have to stop this. Talk of how one minute Bono gets it then the next he doesn't. Worth a watch.
The President is a fink.
October 5th, 2016 at 9:41:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Netflix Catalog is showing 5,302 titles in their library which is down from the 11,000 movies and TV shows the streaming provider offered in 2012.

That's not surprising given Netflix's focus on developing original content; the company told attendees of Goldman Sachs’ Communacopia conference it hoped to be the creator of 50% of its catalog in the next few years.

A recent survey of 3,114 adults found that 39.1% of those surveyed said they would pay $12-$15 per month, at most. Another 21% of Netflix customers said they would pay $16 or more per month for the streaming service depending on how many simultaneous streams are wanted and whether 4K quality is desired..

However, if smaller cable companies become internet providers only, then that survey is probably meaningless.
October 5th, 2016 at 11:50:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Netflix Catalog is showing 5,302 titles in their library which is down from the 11,000 movies and TV shows the streaming provider offered in 2012

I'm finding Prime has a much better selection
of TV shows than Nflix. Lots more current ones.
They have an Amazon produced cop show
called Bosch that darned good so far.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2016 at 12:47:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
That's not surprising given Netflix's focus on developing original content;

I think I've had Netflix for three years, maybe two and a half, and I haven't watched a single second of original Netflix-made content.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 5th, 2016 at 12:51:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
I'm finding Prime has a much better selection
of TV shows than Nflix. Lots more current ones.
They have an Amazon produced cop show
called Bosch that darned good so far.

Bosch rocks
Love it
Based on the Micheal Connely books
I got Amazon Prime for a couple months just to binge watch Bosch, The Wire and finish OZ
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 5th, 2016 at 11:02:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I think I've had Netflix for three years, maybe two and a half, and I haven't watched a single second of original Netflix-made content.

The list is getting longer and longer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix
October 6th, 2016 at 12:08:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Most of it is garbage with some real
gems thrown in. I won't say what
the gems are because Nareed hates
my guts and would never watch
them out of spite.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2016 at 5:05:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Watched the Doc Man vs Snake - The long and twisted tale of Nibbler
I enjoyed it
Its regarding an arcade game that you can score a billion points
but
Its a marathon, 2 days of constant playing
I enjoyed it

Vintage Tomorrow
Its about steam punk
I did not like it, did not finish
I expected a doc about Steam Punk itself
Instead
Its about people that like steam punk rather then the art itself
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 9th, 2016 at 12:14:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The unlikely pair Detective Sergeant Camille Bordey and British detective Richard Poole .
Death in Paradise is a British-French lighthearted crime comedy drama television series is a joint UK and French production filmed on the Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and broadcast on BBC One in the United Kingdom and France 2 in France.