Gigafactory

September 26th, 2019 at 3:06:46 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
That will last the cops about 90 minutes. In pursuit it will get sucked dry fast.

I agree, my point was it doesn't take hours to charge as you suggetsed. They could easily recharge during their donut breaks.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 26th, 2019 at 3:17:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I agree, my point was it doesn't take hours to charge as you suggetsed. They could easily recharge during their donut breaks.

My point though is a full recharge will take hours. I do also wonder how well those batteries will hold up under police work loads.
The President is a fink.
September 27th, 2019 at 7:19:40 AM permalink
DRich
My point though is a full recharge will take hours.

I doubt it. If it can charge 75 miles in 5 minutes I believe the range of most of those cars is around 300 miles. I don't know if the recharge rate is linear, but if it is it shouldn't take much more than 20 to 30 minutes.
September 27th, 2019 at 8:23:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
I doubt it. If it can charge 75 miles in 5 minutes I believe the range of most of those cars is around 300 miles. I don't know if the recharge rate is linear, but if it is it shouldn't take much more than 20 to 30 minutes.

My understanding is batteries can have a "quick" recharge or a "deep" recharge. You cannot do 2 quicks and get one deep. Something to do with battery chemistry. 30 minutes is still too long to recharge for most people in most situations.
The President is a fink.
September 27th, 2019 at 8:47:21 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
My understanding is batteries can have a "quick" recharge or a "deep" recharge. You cannot do 2 quicks and get one deep. Something to do with battery chemistry. 30 minutes is still too long to recharge for most people in most situations.

The technology keeps advancing, and what was true 3 years ago is no longer true. Look how much more advanced the newest Porsche EV is compared to Tesla.

Maybe that's an argument for consumers to wait another decade for the tech to plateau?
September 27th, 2019 at 9:10:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno
The technology keeps advancing, and what was true 3 years ago is no longer true. Look how much more advanced the newest Porsche EV is compared to Tesla.

Maybe that's an argument for consumers to wait another decade for the tech to plateau?

Tech advances but the chemistry is still the same. Consumers should for sure wait. Right now evs are kind of a subsidized toy for rich folks who think they are helping the environment even if they really are not. On a financial basis they make no sense to purchase yet. Just wait until the Chinese clamp down on the needed rare earths.
The President is a fink.
September 27th, 2019 at 9:28:53 AM permalink
DRich
Right now evs are kind of a subsidized toy for rich folks who think they are helping the environment even if they really are not. On a financial basis they make no sense to purchase yet.

That is probably mostly true but there are definitely exceptions. There were times last year where the incentives and rebates were so good you could lease a Chevy Bolt for about $79 a month which is probably less than most peoples car payments.
October 9th, 2019 at 3:25:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Tesla owners in California get a warning to charge their cars before the power goes out

As Tesla owners race to beat the cutoff by Pacific Graft and Extortion, us preppers have a few 5 gal tanks for just such an emergency.
The President is a fink.
October 10th, 2019 at 10:59:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Tesla owners in California get a warning to charge their cars before the power goes out

As Tesla owners race to beat the cutoff by Pacific Graft and Extortion, us preppers have a few 5 gal tanks for just such an emergency.

A century of infrastructure for vehicles based on fossil fuels has advantages
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 10th, 2019 at 11:52:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

A century of infrastructure for vehicles based on fossil fuels has advantages

So you are saying electrics do not mostly run on fossil fuels?
The President is a fink.