Science and God

September 15th, 2016 at 5:38:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I don't think that something that happens as often as miracle claims is an outlier.

Sigh. For every so called 'miracle', I can find
many times more when the opposite
happened. This is why miracles can't stand
up under any kind of scientific investigation.
There's nothing there to study.

I read the link you posted, why wouldn't I.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 15th, 2016 at 5:50:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Sigh. For every so called 'miracle', I can find
many times more when the opposite
happened. This is why miracles can't stand
up under any kind of scientific investigation.
There's nothing there to study.

Can you explain your thinking here? So miracles are rare, I think we already knew that. Why is it that because miracles are rare that we cannot study them. Reincarnation according to you is very rare, but we can study that.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 15th, 2016 at 6:01:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Good, you shouldn't miss antibiotics and should take it seriously. Here is a better idea if you take the antibiotics and it doesn't work then I will pray for the intercession of Saint Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

Taking it seriously would mean calling the doctor if the infection persists. Or maybe seeing a different doctor.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2016 at 6:21:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
So miracles are rare

Rare, their nonexistent. How do you study
something that doesn't exist. And reincarnation
is not rare at all, the opposite, in fact.
As word gets out to pay attention to a little
kid who says he remembers a past life,
reporting on it is becoming more and more
common.

This miracle does not exist:

mir·a·cle
ˈmirək(ə)l/
noun
noun: miracle; plural noun: miracles

an event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore the work of a divine agency.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 16th, 2016 at 5:07:13 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The problem is attribution to a supernatural cause.

Miracles have an unknown or improbable, but possible, natural explaination.

The example just stated - someone is sick someone prays, someone gets better. Correlation does not imply causation.

As for the lack of a natural explaination, a lack of explaination is not evidence of a supernatural explaination.

Here is another article on the topic:
https://scientiasalon.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/the-natural-the-supernatural-and-the-nature-of-science/

That Sherlock Holmes thing about the only explanation remaining no matter how unlikely, has a hole in it: an explanation that is not known, and wasn't considered.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 23rd, 2016 at 8:24:23 AM permalink
Nareed
So it's been a week. I took all the antibiotic tablets as prescribed (*), and applied the topical antibiotic twice a day also as prescribed. The abscess seems to be gone. I didn't pray, or even considered praying. Once again the many gods people believe in missed another chance to provide me with proof :)

BTW, when he drained the affected area, the dermatologist kept saying "Let me know if it hurts." I almost laughed. I mean, first he stuck a needle to inject a local anesthetic, then he used needles to drain it out. He wasn't even running a mild current through them, nor pulling anything out afterwards. "Hurts?" After years of electrolysis with a mediocre "anesthetic" cream? Please!

(*) In Mexico, prescription medication is sold in boxes or jars, which come straight off the factory. They're not placed in precise amounts in small containers with printed directions, as is the case in America. As my prescription was for 1 pill every 8 hours for seven days, that comes to exactly 21 pills. I though for sure I'd have to buy 30, because boxes would come in either ten or 20 pills each. To my surprise, they had a box with 21 pills exactly (three blisters with seven pills each). The inescapable conclusion is that the common course for that medication is the one I took.

Lucky me.
September 23rd, 2016 at 9:28:20 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Thank God you are all better, I'm glad. It is amazing to me how we can use the amazing intellect we have to create from our world all kinds of helpful things and techniques to keep us healthy. Since you didn't get a chance to pray for the healing of the infection of the skin why don't you pray for the gift of faith in God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 23rd, 2016 at 9:40:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Thank God you are all better, I'm glad.

If I thank anyone, it would be Alexander Fleming, the many other scientists who turned the penicilium fungus effluent into a practical drug, the people who discovered sulfa, the many companies that produced the antibiotics for decades now, the dermatologist, end even the supermarket for carrying it and giving a 15% refund in reward-card credits.

Quote:
Since you didn't get a chance to pray for the healing of the infection of the skin why don't you pray for the gift of faith in God.

See above.

No gods required.
September 23rd, 2016 at 11:25:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
why don't you pray for the gift of faith in God.

Pray to who, exactly. Should I also write
a letter to Santa telling him what I want
for Xmas? That will have as much effect
as praying to some non existent god.
September 23rd, 2016 at 12:35:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Are there any specified top miracles evidence-wise?

And no, Jesus rising from the dead is a poor example of an evidence based miracle. However it is an excellent example of giving WAY too much weight to questionable claims.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?