Science and God

September 23rd, 2016 at 1:08:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Just the other day on September 19th the hardened blood of a early century martyr and bishop, Saint Janarius, liquefied as it does every September 19th on his feast day. Pretty miraculous I would say. You can go to Naples to watch it happen yourself if you are curious.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 23rd, 2016 at 1:23:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Just the other day on September 19th the hardened blood of a early century martyr and bishop, Saint Janarius, liquefied as it does every September 19th on his feast day. Pretty miraculous I would say. You can go to Naples to watch it happen yourself if you are curious.

Can I take a sample and find out what the local church has been passing off as blood?

In the second place, too many people have replicated this particular miracle using materials known since ancient times. But in the first place, why would an all-powerful deity engage in parlor tricks?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 23rd, 2016 at 4:23:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Can I take a sample and find out what the local church has been passing off as blood?

In the second place, too many people have replicated this particular miracle using materials known since ancient times. But in the first place, why would an all-powerful deity engage in parlor tricks?

You can examine it, many people have and there is no ancient material that just happens to liquefy on a certain date every year. The Almighty allows this miracle in particular to bless the city of Naples (which needs all the blessings it can get) and to show the supernatural intercession of the saints.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 23rd, 2016 at 5:38:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Almighty allows this miracle in particular

There is no almighty that allows anything,
you're living in fantasy land. You have to
get rid of your 12th century way of seeing
the world, it's very self destructive. It gets
in the way of seeing reality for what it is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 23rd, 2016 at 7:23:30 PM permalink
Nareed
You can examine it,

Sure you can:

http://www.cicap.org/n/articolo.php?id=101014#introduction
September 23rd, 2016 at 7:35:11 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
But that isn't the only time it happens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Januarius#Blood

Quote:
The liquefaction sometimes takes place almost immediately, but can take hours or even days. Records kept at the Duomo tell that on rare occasions the contents fail to liquefy, are found already liquefied when the ampoules are taken from the safe, or liquefy outside the usual dates.

There are other examples on the page of it liquefying, and not.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 23rd, 2016 at 8:07:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

"At present however, given that the phenomenon has been replicated, it would be rather too naive to consider it irreproducible or unexplainable."

Science wins again, how totally expected.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 24th, 2016 at 7:19:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
"At present however, given that the phenomenon has been replicated, it would be rather too naive to consider it irreproducible or unexplainable."

Science wins again, how totally expected.

I admire your faith in science and willingness to take inconclusive results to mean what you want it to mean. I guess you and I are in similar boats in regards to this. That is an excellent article that Nareed posted and seemingly very fair. I hope that the tests the author mentions at the end are conducted so science can indeed show that it is blood that unexplainable liquefies and coagulates again and again every year.
September 24th, 2016 at 7:59:37 PM permalink
Nareed
I hope that the tests the author mentions at the end are conducted so science can indeed show that it is blood that unexplainable liquefies and coagulates again and again every year.

Fat chance, until the church allows samples to be taken.

But even were that to happen, and the results were "NOT BLOOD," lots of Catholics would keep venerating it the way they idolize the Holy Sheet at Turin.
September 24th, 2016 at 9:08:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
the Holy Sheet at Turin.

I chuckled at this. First thinking of a venerated bed sheet. Then the slang of "sheet".

Would they really make a shrine to a holy turd.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?