the death of coal?

October 8th, 2019 at 2:12:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
We only use one bedroom and the vents are closed in all the rooms we don't use. You just have to understand that when it is 115 outside the AC units just can't catch up. They probably run 20 hours a day during the summer,
Our ac is about 13 years old. When it gets really hot here, it probably runs 23 hours per day. But when it cools even a little, when I go outside I notice my neighbors ac runs more frequent than mine. We have a foot of insulation in most of the ceiling. Most people don't know what 115 is like on ac units.

Our house is probably 1800ft? The highest bill is around 320 and we like it cool inside, set the thermometer at 76.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 8th, 2019 at 2:46:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Most people don't know what 115 is like on ac units.

It was mid 80's twice this summer.
70's and low 80's the rest of the
time. I only run one window unit
at a time. In the room I'm sitting
in or sleeping in.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2019 at 3:01:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Never heard a window unit that was quiet enough for me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2019 at 3:31:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
It was mid 80's twice this summer.
70's and low 80's the rest of the
time. I only run one window unit
at a time. In the room I'm sitting
in or sleeping in.
I just went out, and the snowbirds are showing. Now everything will be crowded with cheeseheads and worse until spring, just before the kiln fires back up. Apparently it is either 110 here, or snowbirds.

I would still be in Ak. if my body would stand it.
October 8th, 2019 at 5:28:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph
I just went out, and the snowbirds are showing. Now everything will be crowded with cheeseheads and worse until spring, just before the kiln fires back up. Apparently it is either 110 here, or snowbirds.

I would still be in Ak. if my body would stand it.
\\Why not move somewhere that has nice weather and very few snowbirds?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 8th, 2019 at 7:42:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
\\Why not move somewhere that has nice weather and very few snowbirds?
Looks good, on paper.
October 9th, 2019 at 6:32:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-09/pg-e-to-start-second-phase-of-shutoffs-later-than-planned?srnd=premium

PG&E will shut off up to 3 million customers to prevent fires. I wonder what happens with all the surplus power being generated by windmills and solar plants?

Do the windmills just spin in high winds to look like they are doing something real? Solar panels will just bake in the sun, but the electricity isn't going anywhere with the grid shut down. Irony.
October 10th, 2019 at 5:21:31 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Windmills can feather the blades and apply the parking brakes.
Solar panels can just sit there.

However, they are taking about cutting off some customers, not producing no power for anyone in the state.

It is more likely that they will reduce production at the fossil fuel burning plants, and the nuclear plants, while allowing the wind and solar to produce power normally.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 10th, 2019 at 6:01:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

It is more likely that they will reduce production at the fossil fuel burning plants, and the nuclear plants, while allowing the wind and solar to produce power normally.

Have you heard this? My guess would be if wind/solar is in the blackout area they will be shut down as the grid is shut down there and nothing can be carried.
The President is a fink.
October 10th, 2019 at 6:34:04 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
No, I have not found any articles that detail changes to power production.

One article did talk about the need for "micro grids" which spread the power generation out more.

That would help with the current problem - large populations getting cut off because of poor infrastructure between power generation and consumers.

They are doing the shutdowns because of old dry power poles, high winds, and dry conditions which could result in downed wires and wildfires.

Microgrids could better target the danger areas.

Another article mentioned home solar - apparently most systems there are designed to only feed power back into the grid, and the power is not consumed by the house first. These types of systems are automatically shut down during a power outage to protect line workers.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan