the death of coal?

October 7th, 2019 at 3:16:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Lucky you, my two air conditioning units are at least 20 years old. I am sure new units would definitely reduce the bill. Like I said, I keep my house at 78 which most people would consider warm. I have no idea how much higher my bill would be if I kept it at 73. Also, my house would be considered big by Las vegas standards as it is 4 bedrooms and around 3300 sq ft.

My guess is, you're $100 away from some easy fixes. caulking, insulation, replacement window(s), fans. One of energy measuring devices that you check appliance usage by plugging in between appliance and wall.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 7th, 2019 at 6:35:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If thermostat and vents are fairly low why cool the 20 foot ceiling area? Let the hot air rise and stay there.
October 8th, 2019 at 3:27:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
My guess is, you're $100 away from some easy fixes. caulking, insulation, replacement window(s), fans. One of energy measuring devices that you check appliance usage by plugging in between appliance and wall.

Very unlikely. That is a ton of space to cool in the middle of a desert. A/C is a huge energy user.

Evaporative cooling could be a solution, but way more than $100. EC was a think in AZ, not sure if LV has the same climate to make it work.
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2019 at 4:03:32 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
I am a bit surprised a state can do that, seems a NRC level decision.

He forced them out of business. His relentless lawsuits to shut them down, cost Entergy $200 million in legal fees. It was no longer economically feasible for them to continue operating, and they agreed to shut down fourteen years ahead of schedule.

Natural gas power plants can replace IP, making Cuomo’s expensive windmills and underwater cables unnecessary, but a new state law requires NY to achieve a 100% emissions-free electric grid in twenty years. The Cuomo administration blocked construction of the gas pipeline the utilities requested.

In response, the utilities refused to accept any new gas customers.

Federal regulators recently overruled him, but Cuomo has vowed to keep fighting it, “Any way we can”.

No doubt he is planning to run as the anti-carbon presidential candidate in 2024.

He just awarded contracts for wind farms, but they won’t come on line for another five years at best.
October 8th, 2019 at 11:26:12 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Lucky you, my two air conditioning units are at least 20 years old. I am sure new units would definitely reduce the bill. Like I said, I keep my house at 78 which most people would consider warm. I have no idea how much higher my bill would be if I kept it at 73. Also, my house would be considered big by Las vegas standards as it is 4 bedrooms and around 3300 sq ft.

That's a lot of money to spend on a monthly electric bill.

I'm wondering if installing rooftop solar panels might save you money in the long run. And investing in new air conditioners might also pay for itself after a couple years?

Do you use all 4 bedrooms? I'm curious if it would be practical to close off bedrooms you're not using during the hottest months of the year.

Presumably you've already considered all of these ideas.
October 8th, 2019 at 11:41:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: reno

I'm wondering if installing rooftop solar panels might save you money in the long run. And investing in new air conditioners might also pay for itself after a couple years?

Do you use all 4 bedrooms? I'm curious if it would be practical to close off bedrooms you're not using during the hottest months of the year.

I think his costs are out of line for that space even where he lives.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2019 at 11:53:35 AM permalink
rxwine
There’s other thints to check without spending a dime.

Quote:

”During the summer you want the fan to blow air straight down, so your ceiling fan needs to run in a counter clockwise direction as you look up at it. The warmer it is, the higher the speed should be. During the winter, your fan should run at a low speed in a clockwise direction."
October 8th, 2019 at 1:24:28 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
I think his costs are out of line for that space even where he lives.

I don't think it is way off. A friend of mine has a 1400sq ft house and his summer electric bills are around $500. He also has an older AC unit.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 8th, 2019 at 1:31:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: reno

We only use one bedroom and the vents are closed in all the rooms we don't use. You just have to understand that when it is 115 outside the AC units just can't catch up. They probably run 20 hours a day during the summer,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 8th, 2019 at 1:41:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
We only use one bedroom and the vents are closed in all the rooms we don't use. You just have to understand that when it is 115 outside the AC units just can't catch up. They probably run 20 hours a day during the summer,

When I got my new AC, they took several hours to install it
My neighbors old outside unit is next to mine
The installer mentioned the whole time he installed mine, my neighbors never shut off. He said that's not good. They are not supposed to constantly run.

Even though I live alone, I keep my whole townhouse cool, live in the downstairs master bedroom, have my office in 1 upstairs bedroom, the other room I lay on the spare guest bed when taking a break. Its a very airy open air townhouse, when you walk in, dining room 1st main room with a cathedral ceiling. 2nd floor 2 bedrooms just the back half of the town house
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"