the death of coal?

September 23rd, 2019 at 1:37:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Agree. Friend just had solar panels put on his roof at the same time he bought an electric car. His analysis of the up front cost, maintenance, and long term electric bill savings made him believe it was a slight money loser for him. But he said it makes him feel good to not be buying gas for his car, or much electricity for his house.

He should see the strip-mining and other damage to make the batteries and solar panels.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2019 at 1:43:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
He should see the strip-mining and other damage to make the batteries and solar panels.
Probably doesn't want to focus on the blood mining for the rare earths to make the panels, or the cost and pollution to dispose of the panels when they fail.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 23rd, 2019 at 1:45:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Probably doesn't want to focus on the blood mining for the rare earths to make the panels, or the cost and pollution to dispose of the panels when they fail.

It is why I laugh at the modern enviros. They look at one thing and one only, never the big picture. Never consider the simple thing, get a smaller house.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2019 at 3:04:13 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
It is why I laugh at the modern enviros. They look at one thing and one only, never the big picture. Never consider the simple thing, get a smaller house.

I did get a smaller house! But I agree with you about not always seeing the entire picture when making decisions.
September 23rd, 2019 at 3:18:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
I did get a smaller house! But I agree with you about not always seeing the entire picture when making decisions.

Awesome! Making a real difference. I must say it is amazing how much less junk you end up with when you are in a smaller house. I keep getting tempted to go bigger, then I get my electric and gas bills.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2019 at 4:22:18 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Rare earths are mined once and reused.
Where else is strip mining and maybe mountain topping used? Hmm.
"Blood" mining, whether it be for minerals or diamonds, is a problem that can be fixed. If the market won't do it, then I will use ugly words like unions and government regulations.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 23rd, 2019 at 5:09:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
Rare earths are mined once and reused.
Where else is strip mining and maybe mountain topping used? Hmm.
"Blood" mining, whether it be for minerals or diamonds, is a problem that can be fixed. If the market won't do it, then I will use ugly words like unions and government regulations.

Not as reused as you hope. And we keep needing more, so even if we got to 100% recycling we would still need exponentially more.

Not sure if you heard, but China is not a fan of unions.
The President is a fink.
October 5th, 2019 at 10:48:51 AM permalink
petroglyph
Seems as windmills also attract organized crime. These projects are a good way to launder money apparently? http://www.windtaskforce.org/m/blogpost?id=4401701%3ABlogPost%3A68382

"This terribly important story was never carried in the Portland Press Herald or Maine Sunday Telegram, so most Mainers are still in the dark about this."
October 5th, 2019 at 10:51:22 AM permalink
petroglyph
These things are fun.
October 5th, 2019 at 10:52:55 AM permalink
petroglyph
http://friendsofmainesmountains.org/fmm/2016/10/1/record-hill-wind-project-a-big-loser-for-yale

"Residents around Ellis Pond, Appalachian Trail hikers, as well as motorists on Maine Scenic Byway Route 17 between Rumford and Rangely, are stuck with a massive industrial eyesore that does nothing to save the planet."

I'm glad to see people wising up to the waste that these phony AE projects really are. Problem is, these projects will have run out their useful life and be being removed by the time the loans are paid in full.

added: A rational and current opinion from Friends of Maines mountains. http://friendsofmainesmountains.org/fmm/2019/10/2/fmm-submits-comments-to-new-maine-climate-council