the death of coal?

October 6th, 2019 at 9:24:45 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The Indian Point nuclear power generating station, provides 39% of NYS and 25% of NYC electricity. Governor Cuomo has ordered IP to close by April 2021. He says the state will invest in wind farms and add transmission lines to carry hydropower from Quebec.

It would require 2,000 windmills spread over 315 square miles to replace IP. It will cost $3 billion and take at least three years to lay the cables under the Hudson necessary to carry the power from Quebec. The Canadian power, if they can spare it, would only replace 25% of what will be lost when IP closes.

So far, nothing is being done to find a replacement for IP, and demand for electrical power is growing.

This is what happens in single party states, where the politicians rule be decree.
October 6th, 2019 at 9:32:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
The Indian Point nuclear power generating station, provides 39% of NYS and 25% of NYC electricity. Governor Cuomo has ordered IP to close by April 2021. He says the state will invest in wind farms and add transmission lines to carry hydropower from Quebec.

It would require 2,000 windmills spread over 315 square miles to replace IP. It will cost $3 billion and take at least three years to lay the cables under the Hudson necessary to carry the power from Quebec. The Canadian power, if they can spare it, would only replace 25% of what will be lost when IP closes.

So far, nothing is being done to find a replacement for IP, and demand for electrical power is growing.

This is what happens in single party states, where the politicians rule be decree.

I am a bit surprised a state can do that, seems a NRC level decision.
The President is a fink.
October 6th, 2019 at 9:38:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Who owns IP?
What do you mean by "Governor Cuomo ordered?"
What do you mean by "the state will invest in wind farms?"

Scary times here in NY
October 6th, 2019 at 9:50:58 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

As much as I love when people s#$% on His Imperialness...

Quote: Reality
“Key considerations in our decision to shut down Indian Point ahead of schedule include sustained low current and projected wholesale energy prices that have reduced revenues, as well as increased operating costs. In addition, we foresee continuing costs for license renewal beyond the more than $200 million and 10 years we have already invested,” said Bill Mohl, president of Entergy Wholesale Commodities. “Record low gas prices, due primarily to supply from the Marcellus Shale formation, have driven down power prices by about 45 percent, or by about $36 per megawatt-hour, over the last ten years, to a record low of $28 per megawatt-hour. A $10 per megawatt-hour drop in power prices reduces annual revenues by approximately $160 million for nuclear power plants such as Indian Point.”

Not so "scary". Save your outrage. You'll need it sooner than later.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 6th, 2019 at 4:24:37 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Awesome! Making a real difference. I must say it is amazing how much less junk you end up with when you are in a smaller house. I keep getting tempted to go bigger, then I get my electric and gas bills.

I hear you on that. I am getting electric bills over $700 a month in the summer and I keep my house at 78.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 6th, 2019 at 5:13:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I hear you on that. I am getting electric bills over $700 a month in the summer and I keep my house at 78.

Maybe you're being sapped by some druggies grow house.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 7th, 2019 at 10:29:15 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: rxwine
Maybe you're being sapped by some druggies grow house.

I think it is mainly because I have some 20ft ceilings. Fortunately Nevada Power lets you average out your yearly payments and pay the same amount each month. I pay $340 a month 12 months a year so the $700 month's don't seem any worse than any other month.
October 7th, 2019 at 11:16:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I think it is mainly because I have some 20ft ceilings. Fortunately Nevada Power lets you average out your yearly payments and pay the same amount each month. I pay $340 a month 12 months a year so the $700 month's don't seem any worse than any other month.

Wow
I don't pay nearly that much
I have a 3br townhouse. Its a middle unit so sun exposure front, back and the roof
Got very high ceilings in some room like the dining room, cathedral ceiling, goes all the way to the 2nd floor ceiling
I did get a new AC system about 8 years ago and they said the new systems uses less electricity and they swapped out some stuff in the fuse box

My last 4 monthly electric bills
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 7th, 2019 at 12:13:59 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
Wow
I don't pay nearly that much
I have a 3br townhouse. Its a middle unit so sun exposure front, back and the roof
Got very high ceilings in some room like the dining room, cathedral ceiling, goes all the way to the 2nd floor ceiling
I did get a new AC system about 8 years ago and they said the new systems uses less electricity and they swapped out some stuff in the fuse box

My last 4 monthly electric bills

Lucky you, my two air conditioning units are at least 20 years old. I am sure new units would definitely reduce the bill. Like I said, I keep my house at 78 which most people would consider warm. I have no idea how much higher my bill would be if I kept it at 73. Also, my house would be considered big by Las vegas standards as it is 4 bedrooms and around 3300 sq ft.
October 7th, 2019 at 1:44:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Lucky you, my two air conditioning units are at least 20 years old. I am sure new units would definitely reduce the bill. Like I said, I keep my house at 78 which most people would consider warm. I have no idea how much higher my bill would be if I kept it at 73. Also, my house would be considered big by Las vegas standards as it is 4 bedrooms and around 3300 sq ft.

That is big anywhere.
The President is a fink.