New WoV Format

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
July 23rd, 2015 at 6:43:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Doing so was very expensive and revenue only dropped.

That's what Drudge says, you lose 10-15%
of your regular visitors.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2015 at 11:14:20 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
I can't argue with success. The one who bought the Wizard sites has made millions with affiliate sites. He knows what he is doing.

I do tend to think one of my failures was as revenue was dropping everybody was telling me I needed to modernize the site. Doing so was very expensive and revenue only dropped.

You can be sure that the look of this site won't change. It has yet to make penny one so I'm in no mood to invest money into it anyway.

I said it at the time, and I'll say it again, this is why you have A/B testing. This is why you have UI tests, beta runs. It saves you money in the long run, and avoids making changes that drive away traffic. No-one really knows what will definitely work. That's why you test it to find out.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 23rd, 2015 at 11:26:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
I said it at the time, and I'll say it again, this is why you have A/B testing. This is why you have UI tests, beta runs. It saves you money in the long run, and avoids making changes that drive away traffic. No-one really knows what will definitely work. That's why you test it to find out.

Yeah, I think too many make assumptions without blind testing. If we all really knew intuitively what was great we'd all be running the next google/Amazon/Twitter site and be raking in millions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2015 at 11:29:34 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Yeah, I think too many make assumptions without blind testing. If we all really knew intuitively what was great we'd all be running the next google/Amazon/Twitter site and be raking in millions.

Some people are faster at zeroing into good design than others. But those people are normally really good at examining how the design works after observing it's usage, and getting closer, faster than other people. I'm pretty good at the testing part, but not the design part... the design part is hard, testing is easy if you have a destructive, not constructive mind.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 24th, 2015 at 12:42:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The whole two-tone design of the site
is driving me away from it. It screams
at me, hurry up and do your business
and get out! Am I the only one that
feels that? It's not soothing in the
least, quite the opposite.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 24th, 2015 at 6:57:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I saw it yesterday evening.

All I'll say is: it's a good thing I was de-attached from it long ago.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 24th, 2015 at 10:51:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My avatar attempts keep getting rejected [I guess]

any hints?

never mind, I was forgetting to use my password - but not getting a message about it on the fails
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 24th, 2015 at 1:01:44 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
Holy Toledo.... that is terrible.

Why such passion? Not that you need to explain yourself to me, I just don't recall ever seeing you get miffed before and this surely seems to have done it. Just curious =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 24th, 2015 at 1:40:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Other than a couple issues they already changed, I'm good with it.

Doesn't bother my eyes. Of course, I'm perfectly happy with plain text and users who write in paragraphs (as opposed to one block of text). Other than that, design is usually superfluous to me unless we're talking other uses besides reading forum posts.

I do like to complain about company/sites, software who apparently have a department of people whose purpose seems to be coming up with a design change.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 24th, 2015 at 1:48:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Why such passion? Not that you need to explain yourself to me, I just don't recall ever seeing you get miffed before and this surely seems to have done it. Just curious =p

Are you getting paid there for admining now?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »