New WoV Format

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
July 24th, 2015 at 2:26:09 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
Why such passion? Not that you need to explain yourself to me, I just don't recall ever seeing you get miffed before and this surely seems to have done it. Just curious =p

Laugh... taking myself too seriously :)

It looks horrible to me, but that's fine, I'm on person. What annoyed me was lines like "you can't test everything" and "hold on, just a few bugs, we'll get it fixed". I do this sort of thing for a living, I know how to release new products and make them work relatively well before your clients see them. There's plenty written about it. The attitude we should all do Zuga a favour and report bugs to him is laughable in a multi-million dollar business.

There's about 2 days work there to test the site, which would cost very little in terms of the development budget, and more importantly - it's a solved problem. People do this regularly and they do it well. 'Can't test everything' is a stupid, dumbass comment in the world of software development, especially when to me, it looks like nothing much was tested outside of the people doing the code changes.

I had some respect for Zuga and team. I don't really any more.

I did change my avatar to something less offensive. I didn't expect it to stay up for quite so long.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 24th, 2015 at 2:37:01 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Are you getting paid there for admining now?

Nope. Only "pay" I've ever received was when Wiz generously split his football pool winnings between the Greens. Other than a throwaway comment when the site was bought, I haven't heard a word about the possibility. Nor have I asked.

People get paid to do this stuff? Is there a union? Bennies? ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 24th, 2015 at 2:39:13 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Nope. Only "pay" I've ever received was when Wiz generously split his football pool winnings between the Greens. Other than a throwaway comment when the site was bought, I haven't heard a word about the possibility. Nor have I asked.

People get paid to do this stuff? Is there a union? Bennies? ;)

Forum manager or community manager is a job title at some online companies and paid job.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 24th, 2015 at 2:41:44 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
Forum manager or community manager is a job title at some online companies and paid job.

Meh. I don't gamble and can only manage 9th grade math. I don't suspect I'd be worth much.

Thanks for humoring me, by the way =)
July 24th, 2015 at 2:56:58 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Meh. I don't gamble and can only manage 9th grade math. I don't suspect I'd be worth much.

Thanks for humoring me, by the way =)

It's not unsual for there to be volunteers doing your role. Community managers are a strange breed of skills. Gambling and doing math isn't important... it's more moderating discussion, being a friendly welcoming face for the site, getting contributions and passing on issues that people are whining about to the people who can solve 'em. Or straight up solving them if they can.
July 24th, 2015 at 7:21:33 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
It's not unsual for there to be volunteers doing your role. Community managers are a strange breed of skills. Gambling and doing math isn't important... it's more moderating discussion, being a friendly welcoming face for the site, getting contributions and passing on issues that people are whining about to the people who can solve 'em. Or straight up solving them if they can.

Yeah, the "managing people" part is the only one I think I've had some success in. I'm not an "even" person, not really, but I think I can and have been doing a good job at faking it, at least as far as my moderator duties are concerned. Been a few years and I haven't banned a single person out of anger yet =)

I'd certainly be open to a paid position, even if it required (and it would) doing other things than I currently am. I just couldn't imagine it happening. They're business types, and I'm already doing the job for free =p
July 25th, 2015 at 12:02:51 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Yeah, the "managing people" part is the only one I think I've had some success in. I'm not an "even" person, not really, but I think I can and have been doing a good job at faking it, at least as far as my moderator duties are concerned. Been a few years and I haven't banned a single person out of anger yet =)

I'd certainly be open to a paid position, even if it required (and it would) doing other things than I currently am. I just couldn't imagine it happening. They're business types, and I'm already doing the job for free =p

Exactly... if your happy not being paid, why change it? I don't get why people suddenly expected the greens to get paid after the buyout. They could have choosen to stay or go, they are free citizens.
July 25th, 2015 at 2:01:49 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
I can't argue with success. The one who bought the Wizard sites has made millions with affiliate sites. He knows what he is doing.

I do tend to think one of my failures was as revenue was dropping everybody was telling me I needed to modernize the site. Doing so was very expensive and revenue only dropped.

You can be sure that the look of this site won't change. It has yet to make penny one so I'm in no mood to invest money into it anyway.

I sure enjoyed your board even though I was a fairly new member.

It seems to me to be just like everything else that is really enjoyable, like food products, or the crew I'm working with, it only lasts for awhile and then it changes.

Thanks Mike, it was a great thing you done.

And thanks for this one as well. It has really helped me.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 25th, 2015 at 3:27:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
I sure enjoyed your board even though I was a fairly new member.

It seems to me to be just like everything else that is really enjoyable, like food products, or the crew I'm working with, it only lasts for awhile and then it changes.

Thanks Mike, it was a great thing you done.

And thanks for this one as well. It has really helped me.

Michael had a good long run though, I think. There's just an expiration date on these things, it's the way of the world. It's probably remarkable that the current manifestation of WoV may continue to be somewhat OK in spite of these changes they are motivated to make [they screwed up WoO first]. And I second the motion to thank Mike.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 25th, 2015 at 5:43:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
Michael had a good long run though, I think. There's just an expiration date on these things, it's the way of the world. It's probably remarkable that the current manifestation of WoV may continue to be somewhat OK in spite of these changes they are motivated to make [they screwed up WoO first]. And I second the motion to thank Mike.

Make that 3. Countless hours of enjoyment here, both on and off the clock at work! lol Found a great group of folks and bounced more than one idea off of them. Three WoV-East events for fun times. Got me interested in gaming to the level that the side work from the parties made the down payment on my house!

Hopefully DT lives on like it is for many years for those of us missing the old days.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »