Defund Planned Parenthood

May 21st, 2016 at 5:23:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
1) No single cell is or can be conscious, including an embryonic cell.

2) It takes a long time for the brain to develop to the point that consciousness is even possible.

How do you test for consciousness or the development of it? If something is developing and you kill it is that okay?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 23rd, 2016 at 6:58:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
How do you test for consciousness or the development of it?

I suggest you look up articles about it on neurological popularizations. neurologica.com has several good ones.

Quote:
If something is developing and you kill it is that okay?

It depends on many things. If a woman chooses to abort a fetus in the first trimester, then it's her absolute moral right to do so whether or not it's ok by your standards.

On the other hand, if I plant an apple tree on my property and you uproot it as it begins to sprout leaves, that's malicious destruction of property and you should go to prison for it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 23rd, 2016 at 9:48:42 AM permalink
FrGamble

It depends on many things. If a woman chooses to abort a fetus in the first trimester, then it's her absolute moral right to do so whether or not it's ok by your standards.

On the other hand, if I plant an apple tree on my property and you uproot it as it begins to sprout leaves, that's malicious destruction of property and you should go to prison for it.

Wow, I don't know what to say. I feel like I should just back away slowly and let this unbelievable post speak for itself.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 23rd, 2016 at 9:56:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Wow, I don't know what to say. I feel like I should just back away slowly and let this unbelievable post speak for itself.

It's a matter of property rights. A woman owns her body. This ownership of her body doesn't change if she becomes pregnant. And for the first trimester at least, there are no conceivable, rational objections to abortion. The fetus is nowhere near a developmental stage comparable to that of a person. After the third trimester there can be objections and rational disagreements.

In the matter of the hypothetical apple tree, no one has any right to any of my property. Would you agree you should go to prison if you smashed my windows? What if you set fire to my house?

Pregnancy is not easy on humans. Besides the massive inconveniences, there are also real, tangible, quantifiable health risks. It is rational to become pregnant and carry a fetus to term, but only when the woman in question is willing to do so. No one should be forced to incubate a fetus against her will just because it offends your sensibilities.
May 23rd, 2016 at 10:20:28 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I totally agree with Nareed
Nothing unbelievable in her post
Thanks Nareed :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 23rd, 2016 at 10:26:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

AHA!

Remember when I said just yesterday if acts of god and were thought to be acts of humans, people like you would judge those acts harshly?,

Because it was Nareed's apple-- you're all I can't believe Nareed is so cruel. Adam meet Eve.

If I had a mic, I'd drop it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2016 at 12:55:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
Thanks Nareed :-)

You're welcome.

But it's just a simple matter of property rights in principle.
May 23rd, 2016 at 12:57:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Remember when I said just yesterday if acts of god and were thought to be acts of humans, people like you would judge those acts harshly?,

I keep telling Christians I will not believe they really believe the verse about motes, beams and eyes until I see them practicing it.

Quote:
Because it was Nareed's apple-- you're all I can't believe Nareed is so cruel. Adam meet Eve.

Hey, suppose it had been Steve Jobs' Apple(TM) tree? :)
May 25th, 2016 at 6:14:42 AM permalink
Nareed

Seems like it spoke far more loudly and convincingly than you thought.

It would also seem that rather than posting, I should just let my posts speak for themselves. :)
May 25th, 2016 at 3:05:59 PM permalink
FrGamble

It is even more scary to me that you haven't issued a retraction or some explanation like you were drunk of something.

First of all let's just deal with your outrageous analogy as it stands. What if I went out into your yard and dug up the seed that was to grow into an apple tree? Would it still be wrong and should I still go to prison for it?

Secondly, you comparing a developing human being to an apple tree is beyond appalling.