Uber?

February 19th, 2017 at 5:45:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

Uber's use of driverless cars and flying cars is to embrace the cutting edge.... why be saddled with these hordes of cranky drivers who can "select" fares when Uber can send a driverless car that won't protest.

Flying car... Dubain soon will have a driverless flying car shuttle.

I see the Uber automated cars all the time. Still don't get why they want to go from low capital investment to high capital investment.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2017 at 9:24:57 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Removal of a high long term cost : labour.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 19th, 2017 at 9:33:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
Removal of a high long term cost : labour.

At one level, but then they have labor to keep the fleet clean and maintained, etc.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2017 at 3:06:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I'm in Chicago right now. Uber and Lyft cars everywhere.

It's funny: I took the bus to Chicago. After we all got off, everyone pulled out their phones and requested and Uber or Lyft. Meanwhile there was a cab sitting right there in front of us trying to get some business. I felt kind of bad for the driver. We are all staring at our phones watching our drivers approach when he could have taken any one of us right away.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 19th, 2017 at 11:29:25 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
At one level, but then they have labor to keep the fleet clean and maintained, etc.

One person can service many cars. There's also some interesting things that could happen with delivery and door-to-door services when you don't need a driver.

I'm not saying it'll work out, just that the decision ain't insane. Uber's upper management are not who I'd choose to run massive business, but my opinion on that is worth less than a sparrow's fart in a hurricane.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 19th, 2017 at 11:50:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit

I'm not saying it'll work out, just that the decision ain't insane.

It's the start of something that will take
a very long time to come to fruition.
Driverless cars will make mistakes,
the passenger is at the mercy of a machine.
And how will the car know when a drunk
throws up in the backseat, or leaves
something in the car. Not to mention
robot cars are incompatible with cars
driven by humans.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 20th, 2017 at 2:12:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: ams288
I felt kind of bad for the driver. We are all staring at our phones watching our drivers approach when he could have taken any one of us right away.
Perhaps he could have gotten out of the car and called out 'anyone going to X prominent landmark' and taken a group to a certain hotel or something.
February 20th, 2017 at 2:45:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
It's the start of something that will take
a very long time to come to fruition.
Driverless cars will make mistakes,
the passenger is at the mercy of a machine.
And how will the car know when a drunk
throws up in the backseat, or leaves
something in the car. Not to mention
robot cars are incompatible with cars
driven by humans.

The auto show I watch shows so many in the industry thinking that automated cars are going to change so much. They are ignoring human nature totally in their projections. Billions will be lost. Ford in particular may have another brush with death because of all of this.
The President is a fink.
February 20th, 2017 at 5:45:15 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
The auto show I watch shows so many in the industry thinking that automated cars are going to change so much. They are ignoring human nature totally in their projections. Billions will be lost. Ford in particular may have another brush with death because of all of this.
It's usually government that ignores human nature. If a robot car comes up my street I'll put out a trash can or something and see what happens. Will the car just sit there when I put one in back too? Should be fun for the kids. They can play chicken all day long. Taggers should have a blast too.
February 20th, 2017 at 11:04:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
It's usually government that ignores human nature. If a robot car comes up my street I'll put out a trash can or something and see what happens..

They'll be easy to steal once they learn
how. I can see a lane on a freeway that's
for robot cars only, but mixing them
with human cars and pedestrians is
asking for disaster.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.