Uber?

March 19th, 2018 at 10:04:58 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Uber Autonomous has first kill. https://www.abc15.com/news/region-southeast-valley/tempe/tempe-police-investigating-self-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 19th, 2018 at 10:29:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
=petroglyph

This should set them back 10 years.
I ain't getting in a car with no driver.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2018 at 10:35:04 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
This should set them back 10 years.
I ain't getting in a car with no driver.

Bob is correct. Even if there are a dozen such similar accidents involving normal manned cars, this just seems so much worse. And perception is reality, even when it is not.....
March 19th, 2018 at 10:40:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

If you hit someone outside the crosswalk, you probably wouldn't be charged.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 19th, 2018 at 10:45:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Not to change the subject but I was supposed to have a friend pick me up from the airport about 9 PM last Friday night. This so-called friend never showed so I tried to take Uber. The first dozen or so attempts the system was just frozen. Where you are asked where you want to go it simply never got past that step where it tries to find it. On about the 13th attempt it simply said "no cars available" before putting in anything.

I should install Lyft as a back up plan but I imagine they had the same issues.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 19th, 2018 at 10:47:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: SOOPOO
Bob is correct. Even if there are a dozen such similar accidents involving normal manned cars, this just seems so much worse. And perception is reality, even when it is not.....

GM tried driverless cars 60 years ago.
There's a color film out there with robot
radio driven cars on the freeway. Families
taking naps and having dinner while the
car did the driving. 60 years later they are
still not here and are killing people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2018 at 11:05:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I know this sounds very heartless and actuary-like, but I think the relevant statistics would be injuries/deaths per mile driven for "driver-less" cars compared to fully human-driven.

Also, I'll be impressed when cars can truly drive on their own without a human being behind the wheel.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 19th, 2018 at 11:13:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
Not to change the subject but I was supposed to have a friend pick me up from the airport about 9 PM last Friday night. This so-called friend never showed so I tried to take Uber. The first dozen or so attempts the system was just frozen. Where you are asked where you want to go it simply never got past that step where it tries to find it. On about the 13th attempt it simply said "no cars available" before putting in anything.

I should install Lyft as a back up plan but I imagine they had the same issues.

I've used Uber for rides from an airport to home Tampa
I've used Uber to get around Vegas
Never had a problem
Was a huge convention in town?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 19th, 2018 at 11:28:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
I know this sounds very heartless and actuary-like, but I think the relevant statistics would be injuries/deaths per mile driven for "driver-less" cars compared to fully human-driven.

Cool, you ride in them, then. Let
us know how you feel you your
car kills a pedestrian or plows into
a bunch of kids at a bus stop.
March 19th, 2018 at 11:33:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I imagine their auto car has several cameras recording when it happened.. Might be exonerated.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?