Hey FrGamble!

October 1st, 2019 at 6:06:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: FrGamble
In vino veritas.
Ah, but does that mean there is truth in wine or that when consumed to excess, a drunk babbles the truth.
October 1st, 2019 at 10:56:22 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Fleastiff
Ah, but does that mean there is truth in wine or that when consumed to excess, a drunk babbles the truth.

October 1st, 2019 at 1:02:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades

It's a dirty job, somebody has to do it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 17th, 2019 at 6:31:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I tried to encourage FrGamble to get in early. https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatican-city/news/2019-10/click-pray-rosary-smart-digital-device-world-peace.html

The future in religion is online.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 17th, 2019 at 7:59:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph

Why not. It makes as much sense as
anything else in the kooky religion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 17th, 2019 at 9:05:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Why not. It makes as much sense as
anything else in the kooky religion.
As a business, it makes total sense. Let people tythe electronically, it wouldn't even take a physical location, insurance, upkeep etc. It would be quicker for believers, and save them gas and time. Why not? There will still be physical locations for those that just have to have it, but even confession seems like online would be adequately private for both parties.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 17th, 2019 at 11:29:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
As a business, it makes total sense. Let people tythe electronically, it wouldn't even take a physical location, insurance, upkeep etc. It would be quicker for believers, and save them gas and time. Why not? There will still be physical locations for those that just have to have it, but even confession seems like online would be adequately private for both parties.

And this way they would need
even fewer priests. I'm all for
that..
October 20th, 2019 at 4:39:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Sorry for a brief hijack, but I've decided to be a priest this Halloween. Truth be told, I wanted to be a Wizard, but couldn't find an outfit I liked, and this was a second choice.

The outfit itself was just the black robe. All the accouterments are mine. As for the white cross, I think that is supposed to be something one would hang on a wall or maybe a Christmas tree decoration. I just bought it today at my mother-in-law's parish as the closest thing I could find to the big white wooden ones that would have been more realistic, I think. The small rosary on my left hand was a kind gift from FrG and I will be proud to wear it. The other one I got at a thrift store. I also have a vial of holy water.

FrG, I promise to not mock priests, but do my best to make them look good, while still in a playful way that shows I'm just having fun. I plan to memorize the Hail Mary and Act of Contrition, in case I have to throw down some penances and the recipient forgot the words. The Our Father I know cold. I'll also brush up on some Catholic trivia and try to find whatever on YouTube to help with expressions priests might often say. I may even go to a weekday morning service with my mother-in-law.

Any suggestions FrG? Anything I should also wear or carry. What about one of those egg-looking things where smoke comes out? Is there any kind of hat that would improve the look?

Thank you in advance for all help!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 20th, 2019 at 6:07:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You are da man! I think you look like a good priest, with the pectoral cross you are actually dressing up like a bishop, but it adds something. You would also be a great priest. Kind and fair. I don't think I've met many guys with such impeccable honest and integrity as you - you will do us all well this Halloween. I can't wait to hear the stories afterwards.

As far as hats there are two options. A biretta, which will be hard to get. It is a small hat with three ridges to it. The other is a low black sombrero that is sometimes still worn, I forget its name but I always thought they looked cool. Enjoy the weekday service and God bless you!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 20th, 2019 at 7:00:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks, Padre, that means a lot to me. I will do my best to prepare for this party on Saturday night. In particular, I'm going to come up with some good Catholic trivia. I think you'll get this one, so let's let the rest have a crack at it before you chime in.

Catholic Trivia Time! What is the difference between the Feast of the Ascension and the Feast of the Assumption?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber