Hey FrGamble!

July 23rd, 2018 at 2:53:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
You are biased, Padre. You work for what for the longest time was the largest purveyor of spirits in the world.

Catholics invented distilled booze.
Two monks from Ireland went to
Paris in the 11th century and
bought a perfume making still
from a flea market. When they
got home, they started making
Irish whiskey and it kinda sorta
caught on.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2018 at 4:59:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My interpretation of the bible is there is nothing against drinking in moderation, in fact it is openly referred to in my places, but being drunk is verboten.

Was in Ben Franklin who said "God made beer to show he loves us." Whoever said it, I agree, but would extend it to alcohol in general, under the caveat it is used in moderation.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 11th, 2018 at 11:43:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard

Was in Ben Franklin who said "God made beer to show he loves us." Whoever said it, I agree, but would extend it to alcohol in general, under the caveat it is used in moderation.

What is moderation?
Would one gallon of beer per day for an adult laborer be "moderation" in your view?
Would a half-pint of beer with breakfast for a seven year old child be "moderation" in your view?

What about the Padre's views on the above? Moderation or not?
August 11th, 2018 at 12:20:33 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Don't forget that one gallon of beer was barely alcoholic.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 11th, 2018 at 12:26:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Dalex64
That is one of my problems with doing calculations. Do you measure the beer by volume or by alcohol content. The kidneys deal with the volume of fluid not just its alcohol content. But a 3.3 percent beer, known properly as "small beer" still has an effect even if our beer is now at least six percent alcohol.
August 11th, 2018 at 12:34:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64

Alcohol has been called 'spirits'
for thousands of years. Another
silly religious superstition, that
you were overcome by 'spirits'
when you drank. Even in the NT
they couldn't tell if you were
overcome by the holy spirit or
just drunk on wine spirits.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2018 at 3:14:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
What is moderation?
Would one gallon of beer per day for an adult laborer be "moderation" in your view?
Would a half-pint of beer with breakfast for a seven year old child be "moderation" in your view?

Everyone has to answer that question for themselves. There is an intelligent middle ground on most slippery slopes.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 11th, 2018 at 5:05:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Wizard
Everyone has to answer that question for themselves. There is an intelligent middle ground on most slippery slopes.
Its not really a slippery slope at all. One gallon of beer was a daily allotment for a Pyramid Building laborer. And if Egyptian kids didn't get at least half a pint of beer at breakfast time they would never have grown up to be a Pyramid Builder.

Of course we live, generally, in a society where potable water is not quite so scarce and beer not quite so necessary though that doesn't mean its not beneficial.
August 11th, 2018 at 7:05:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
I love how this is the Hey FrG thread,
and he doesn't even come here since
I quit talking to him. lol
August 11th, 2018 at 7:43:02 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
One gallon of beer is about 11 12oz cans (10 and 2/3) so on the long hours they probably labored, that would be about one beer an hour, but with only the alcoholic content of 6 beers or so, or thought a different way, the content of 11 7oz beers, or even less.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan