petroglyph
Threads: 25
Do xtians hoard toilet paper?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 14th, 2020 at 7:16:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mosca
I was born into a devout Catholic family and went to church and Sunday school. From an early age the logical inconsistencies of an all seeing and all knowing god frustrated me: if I sinned, god already knew it. If I was or was not contrite, god already knew it. Therefore, how I felt was irrelevant. I couldn’t fake feelings, and I couldn’t hide my thoughts. When I listened to the mass, and the sermons, and parsed the differences between mortal and venial sins, and learned the catechisms, none of it made any sense at all. It sounded like self serving gibberish. It still does.

I have to say, as an adult I tried. I taught Sunday school myself for a few years. But your heart can’t lie to itself. If you assume an all seeing and all knowing god, then that god would know that I don’t believe any of it. Then what? Bible aside, the basic postulate of the faith is meaningless to me.

Some of us are wired to need a God. Others of us aren’t. Who we are is less important than how we can work together to make the world a better place. There are enough failings on both sides of that question, we don’t have enough fingers to point. Learn from the past, look to the future.

This may be the best post ever on the subject!

I LOVE "Some of us are wired to need a God"!

My upbringing was Jewish.
The daily prayers consisted of a multitude of chants praising the greatness of God. Hundreds if not thousands of times. I always asked, If I was that benevolent, all knowing, all seeing God, would I want people to spend literally hours every day chanting how great I was? Really?
April 14th, 2020 at 8:05:40 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO

That would be the VMAT2 'God Gene'.
April 14th, 2020 at 10:16:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

And the wiring is put in place
when we're kids. I have zero
need for a god, the whole
concept is ridiculous to me.
It's laughable, what this god
is supposed to be. He seeks
constant praise from his subjects,
and then ignores them completely.
He promises everything and
delivers nothing. And people
flock to him, begging for more
of this abusive treatment.

Groveling has never been one of
my traits..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2020 at 8:53:55 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Just binge watched this mini-series about a woman who escaped the Hasidic community - WOW!

April 14th, 2020 at 9:25:38 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Evenbob
And the wiring is put in place
when we're kids. I have zero
need for a god, the whole
concept is ridiculous to me.
It's laughable, what this god
is supposed to be. He seeks
constant praise from his subjects,
and then ignores them completely.
He promises everything and
delivers nothing. And people
flock to him, begging for more
of this abusive treatment.

Groveling has never been one of
my traits..

FrGamble is the exact same way, but opposite. He didn’t sit down and think about it. He knows it. He’s always known it. That is why he is so frustrated with you (and probably me, too). We’re asking for proof of God and he’s saying, “Can’t you see? God is everywhere!”

There’s no point to it. It’s better to figure out how we can work together than it is to fight. But, in this case I think the fighting is the point.
April 14th, 2020 at 9:30:38 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Tanko
That would be the VMAT2 'God Gene'.

Huh. I probably read that somewhere and forgot that I did so. I always figured that I was too grounded to believe in such things, because I never felt like I had a choice about it. When I tried to choose to believe, it felt false. And this is going back to when I was very young, like 10. First Holy Communion, I remember thinking how silly it was.
April 14th, 2020 at 10:09:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Mosca
FrGamble is the exact same way, but opposite. He didn’t sit down and think about it. He knows it. He’s always known it. That is why he is so frustrated with you (and probably me, too). We’re asking for proof of God and he’s saying, “Can’t you see? God is everywhere!”

There’s no point to it. It’s better to figure out how we can work together than it is to fight. But, in this case I think the fighting is the point.

I think you are right Mosca.

I've given up trying to get Bob to know God, I can't do that for him anyway. I am probably just hurting the cause. What I still hold out some hope for is that he and others might at least see that asking for some mathematical proof of God's existence before you believe is not reasonable. Instead you may disagree or argue with the evidence that would lead one to believe but they are not fools or crazy for believing in God. I don't want to fight either, but what I think is crazy and foolish is to know for sure, as if you had some proof that God for sure does not exist. I know that probably only Bob would say such a ridiculous thing, but I find it very hypocritical to be attacked so often for a belief in God by people who have far less evidence supporting their belief that religion is wrong, a sham, and that there is no God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 14th, 2020 at 10:17:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
as if you had some proof that God for sure does not exist. .

The proof isn't on me, it's
on the undetectable
invisible god. Just like
every other strange idea,
like unicorns, or whatever.
If they exist they will show
up and that will be proof.
As soon as god presents
himself, I will be a believer.

Until then he goes into
the big box of quirky
ideas that have no basis in
reality. You believe because
you need to believe. It's
not very complicated. I have
no reason or need to believe
in a god. And you've never
given one, even though I've
asked many times.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2020 at 5:09:04 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: aceofspades
Just binge watched this mini-series about a woman who escaped the Hasidic community - WOW!

Shira Haas is a very talented actress.

Their men and women are often not adequately prepared to survive outside that community. Women can have ten kids by age 40. If they leave the community and their husbands, they lose custody due to the courts 'status quo' policy, that ensures the children will continue the life style they are accustomed to.