Hey FrGamble!

April 27th, 2020 at 6:07:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
Even as youngsters the incongruities were obvious.
Obvious to EACH side but simply ignored by the side who want to ignore the obvious and claim "faith",
April 27th, 2020 at 6:22:48 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Fleastiff
Obvious to EACH side but simply ignored by the side who want to ignore the obvious and claim "faith",

I think the incongruities are ignored by those who don't want to look deeper or try to understand them. They are certainly not ignored by those with faith. Again, have you ever read a Scripture commentary? I'm reading an over 1,000 page commentary just on the Letter to the Romans.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2020 at 8:37:11 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: FrGamble
Gandler in the midst of his post makes a good point. Reading the Bible or the Koran or even a Science textbook without some help to understand it is foolish and will leave you frustrated and confused. We are talking about events from long ago and from a different culture. There is different types of writing and styles that obviously folks like SOOPOO and Evenbob just don't seem to grasp even when the writers themselves make it obvious. I always marvel at agnostics who say the Bible made them so. They read it without even the desire to understand or learn from it. They have no way to make the connections about what certain prophecies and stories are referencing or alluding to. It's like saying I don't look at the stars because I read an astronomy book that didn't make any sense to me.

By the way why would anyone become an atheist after reading some sacred text? Maybe you didn't like the Koran, or in actuality didn't understand it and didn't seek out any help to understand it, putting aside the fact that you didn't actually try - then don't be a Muslim. However, why would not understanding a complicated Sacred text lead you into not believing there is a God? That is just crazy talk.

The difference is. You should not need context for a book that claims to contain the ultimate truth.

And, I read the bible as a Christian, so I read it with a desire to learn. When I was young (young teens) I was very into history and mythology (well I still am), and after reading the bible, I saw it was no different than many other mythologies. That is when it started to dawn on me how crazy it is.

It probably did not help that I was in a church that was very anti-science, and very traditional (as far as male and female roles). But, a younger cousin (female) just last fall got married in the same church, and I was cringing at the way it the pastor (same from when I was young) was describing the roles of marriage (most of my family is religious, and even the highly religious people thought it was a little overboard).

But, if a book is supposed to be the ultimate truth, it should not need context. I can read almost any science textbook and if I take my time eventually understand what it is saying. The Bible is a book of stories, there is no concrete method to understand it, other than "all stories and guidance in it must be accepted without question".....
April 27th, 2020 at 9:50:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Here you seem to backsliding.

I'm the one backsliding? First you
say Jesus was fully aware
of his divinity and he had full
confidence in god and gods plan.
He knew the plan for himself,
that he would rise from the dead.
Then you take it back and say he
was totally ignorant when he went
to the cross.

Which is it, he was fully aware and
had tons of faith. Or he was no better
than the two other people who
died alongside him. totally ignorant.
You constantly want it both ways.

Like I said, Xtians hate hate hate this
subject. They cannot describe the
big sacrifice god/Jesus made and
resent it when you ask about it.
The sacrifice is supposed to be a
mystery that can't be explained. As
a believer you're supposed to just
accept that and shut up about it.
Outsiders need a little more than
a wink and promise it's all true
and not the biggest scam in history.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2020 at 9:59:30 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Gandler

It probably did not help that I was in a church that was very anti-science,

Yeah, I can see that as being a problem and an obstacle to understanding.

Quote:
But, if a book is supposed to be the ultimate truth, it should not need context. I can read almost any science textbook and if I take my time eventually understand what it is saying. The Bible is a book of stories, there is no concrete method to understand it, other than "all stories and guidance in it must be accepted without question".....

I disagree with the premise that a book containing big truths shouldn't need context. Especially a book written in a different language, different culture, and different time. You can read a science textbook but without a teacher and someone to help you there will be lots of things you get wrong, are frustrated by, or don't understand. If you tried to read even something like Shakespeare without help I think you would miss a lot and maybe not like it too much.

The Bible is a collection of many books. Some are stories other are letters other as songs others are instructions others are poetry others are apocolyptic writings (a genre all to itself). There are concrete methods to understanding it and the literal method of just accepting without question is not a good one.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2020 at 10:01:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
I'm the one backsliding? First you
say Jesus was fully aware
of his divinity and he had full
confidence in god and gods plan.
He knew the plan for himself,
that he would rise from the dead.
Then you take it back and say he
was totally ignorant when he went
to the cross.

I have never said Christ was totally ignorant or even suggested or alluded to it. I challenge you to show me how you have come to that statement.
April 27th, 2020 at 10:02:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
I'm reading an over 1,000 page commentary just on the Letter to the Romans.

No doubt. Xtians have made an art
form out of adding unneeded
dialog to the NT to make it seem
like it's a scholastic intellectual
masterpiece. This impresses the
crap out of the rabble in the pews and
makes it seem like the clergy has
a grasp on the religion that's iron
clad. The rabble is in good hands.

The truth is, they make it up as
they go along. They can write a
10,000 word essay on one passage
in the NT. And then ooh and ahh
over it and congratulate themselves
on how smart they are. It's all
about selling the product. The
more they can wrap it in smoke
mirrors and mystery, the more
people they can keep bamboozled.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2020 at 10:05:20 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Gandler in the midst of his post makes a good point. Reading the Bible or the Koran or even a Science textbook without some help to understand it is foolish and will leave you frustrated and confused. We are talking about events from long ago and from a different culture. There is different types of writing and styles that obviously folks like SOOPOO and Evenbob just don't seem to grasp even when the writers themselves make it obvious. I always marvel at agnostics who say the Bible made them so. They read it without even the desire to understand or learn from it. They have no way to make the connections about what certain prophecies and stories are referencing or alluding to. It's like saying I don't look at the stars because I read an astronomy book that didn't make any sense to me.

By the way why would anyone become an atheist after reading some sacred text? Maybe you didn't like the Koran, or in actuality didn't understand it and didn't seek out any help to understand it, putting aside the fact that you didn't actually try - then don't be a Muslim. However, why would not understanding a complicated Sacred text lead you into not believing there is a God? That is just crazy talk.

Padre -- but what makes one person's understanding of text such that their interpretation is the correct one to teach others? It's a regression again
April 27th, 2020 at 10:09:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
I have never said Christ was totally ignorant or even suggested or alluded to it. .

OK. He knew the plan for him and
had total faith in it or he didn't.
Which is it. He didn't have to be
all knowing or all seeing, he only
needed the outline of the plan.
Die on the cross and rise 3 days
later. And why do they always say
3 days? On my calendar Fri to Sun
is 2 days.

If he did know the plan, there
was no sacrifice. If he had no idea
of the plan, he was not aware of
his divinity.

Pick one.
April 27th, 2020 at 10:19:15 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Yeah, I can see that as being a problem and an obstacle to understanding.

I disagree with the premise that a book containing big truths shouldn't need context. Especially a book written in a different language, different culture, and different time. You can read a science textbook but without a teacher and someone to help you there will be lots of things you get wrong, are frustrated by, or don't understand. If you tried to read even something like Shakespeare without help I think you would miss a lot and maybe not like it too much.

The Bible is a collection of many books. Some are stories other are letters other as songs others are instructions others are poetry others are apocolyptic writings (a genre all to itself). There are concrete methods to understanding it and the literal method of just accepting without question is not a good one.

Yes, but surely you know that many churches and organizations say and preach exactly that. It is the perfect word of god and needs to be taken literally.

You can even make the argument that the bible itself says that it must be taken literally.

Here is a well known and powerful Christian Organization in America:
https://answersingenesis.org/bible-questions/why-do-you-take-the-bible-literally/