Hey FrGamble!

April 27th, 2020 at 10:52:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
OK. He knew the plan for him and
had total faith in it or he didn't.
Which is it.

We have covered this and you've agreed. He had total faith and trust in God's plan. Also you have shouted many times before that faith is not knowledge and have demeaned it as just wishful thinking. So I ask you which is it? Is having complete faith a certain knowledge or is having faith more akin to trust?

Quote:
If he did know the plan, there
was no sacrifice.

Why? If the solider knows the plan and follows it out leading to his death to save others is it not a sacrifice?

Quote:
If he had no idea
of the plan, he was not aware of
his divinity.

Again you are confusing yourself. Why can't you be fully aware of your divinity as God and yet as fully human be limited in your understanding?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2020 at 10:54:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Gandler

Yes, but surely you know that many churches and organizations say and preach exactly that. It is the perfect word of god and needs to be taken literally.

You can even make the argument that the bible itself says that it must be taken literally.

Here is a well known and powerful Christian Organization in America:
https://answersingenesis.org/bible-questions/why-do-you-take-the-bible-literally/

Yes I do know that and I disagree with them.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2020 at 11:33:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
We have covered this and you've agreed. He had total faith and trust in God's plan. Also you have shouted many times before that faith is not knowledge and have demeaned it as just wishful thinking. So I ask you which is it? Is having complete faith a certain knowledge or is having faith more akin to trust? Why? If the solider knows the plan and follows it out leading to his death to save others is it not a sacrifice? Again you are confusing yourself. Why can't you be fully aware of your divinity as God and yet as fully human be limited in your understanding?

Do you actually read what you
write? You want it both ways
and all ways at the same time.
He was this and that and the
other thing all at once. No
sense can be made of it because
that's what you intend.

Make it a twisted pretzel mess of
a mind game to get out of stating
what the actual sacrifice was. This
is far from my first time in this
argument, I know the tricks the
religion pulls. Just answer the
question. Name the huge sacrifice
god/Jesus made that was so awesome,
so gigantic, so indisputably
enormous, that it changed the world
forever and we have to get on our
knees daily to thank him.

You can't do it, nobody can. Because
there was no sacrifice.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2020 at 12:11:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Whoa there Petro, calm down. A couple of things: the Bible is not meant to be read straight through from cover to cover, that might be your problem. By the time you get to numbers you might not be interested in chapters about how many cubits to build this or that. I would suggest reading the Gospels. If you only got a few books in that means you never got to the New Testament. Secondly, if your Bible doesn't have an introduction to each book of the Bible or a general introduction explaining what genre it is written in and the history and meaning behind it - get a new Bible. You guys are like Yowza! and all scandalized like it is some secret. Again any Bible worth its salt will explain these things to you. What other ancient near-east text would you try to read without reading an introduction or some history or trying to understand the context and its purpose for writing. I am amazed as adults you lived so long thinking that the Bible was one long narrative or history. We preach this, we talk about it in Bible Studies, there is no dishonesty going on. If you are really interested in understanding the Sacred Scriptures of any religion you probably should ask somebody to help you or at least read the introduction to the various books. Yowza!

Thompsons, chain reference study bible/ KJV / Large print/ Red letter/

When I said I hadn't read it cover to cover, I didn't mean that literally.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 27th, 2020 at 12:18:29 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Whoa there Petro, calm down. A couple of things: the Bible is not meant to be read straight through from cover to cover, that might be your problem. By the time you get to numbers you might not be interested in chapters about how many cubits to build this or that. I would suggest reading the Gospels. If you only got a few books in that means you never got to the New Testament. Secondly, if your Bible doesn't have an introduction to each book of the Bible or a general introduction explaining what genre it is written in and the history and meaning behind it - get a new Bible. You guys are like Yowza! and all scandalized like it is some secret. Again any Bible worth its salt will explain these things to you. What other ancient near-east text would you try to read without reading an introduction or some history or trying to understand the context and its purpose for writing. I am amazed as adults you lived so long thinking that the Bible was one long narrative or history. We preach this, we talk about it in Bible Studies, there is no dishonesty going on. If you are really interested in understanding the Sacred Scriptures of any religion you probably should ask somebody to help you or at least read the introduction to the various books. Yowza!

And where does it say, in the Bible itself, the word of God, that it is not meant to be read straight through?

Is that another man-made "interpretation" of the Bible and how it is to be read?

Padre - do you see how you are sliding down a slippery slope?

• Some parts of the Bible are fact
• Some parts of the Bible are fiction
• The Bible is not to be read cover-to-cover
• Jesus is fully God
• Jesus is fully human

Does God say, anywhere in the Bible - that some is fact and some is fiction? that it is not to be read cover-to-cover?
April 27th, 2020 at 12:31:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
• Jesus is fully God
• Jesus is fully human

You forgot the most important part. Jesus is fully aware that he's both God and human and fully aware of all the implications of that. Except when he's being crucified, then apparently he forgot all about it. Much as they would like, Christians cannot have it both ways.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2020 at 1:08:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm reading an over 1,000 page commentary just on the Letter to the Romans.
If you can't get the Cliff Notes edition, then its all malarkey.
April 27th, 2020 at 1:11:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
And where does it say, in the Bible itself, the word of God, that it is not meant to be read straight through?

Is that another man-made "interpretation" of the Bible and how it is to be read?

Padre - do you see how you are sliding down a slippery slope?

• Some parts of the Bible are fact
• Some parts of the Bible are fiction
• The Bible is not to be read cover-to-cover
• Jesus is fully God
• Jesus is fully human

Does God say, anywhere in the Bible - that some is fact and some is fiction? that it is not to be read cover-to-cover?

Ace, I would highly recommend you stay away from libraries they would be very confusing for you.
April 27th, 2020 at 1:15:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
• Jesus is fully God
• Jesus is fully human

You forgot the most important part. Jesus is fully aware that he's both God and human and fully aware of all the implications of that. Except when he's being crucified, then apparently he forgot all about it. Much as they would like, Christians cannot have it both ways.

You continue to hold unto this idea that somehow Jesus was not still both fully human and fully divine on the Cross. When did you hear that? I certainly never said it. Deal with your soldier analogy and it might help you. Again just to be clear, and I know you agree, being fully aware that you both God's Beloved Son and fully divine and that you are fully man does not mean you in your humanity have the full knowledge of God the Father. You get that don't you?
April 27th, 2020 at 1:49:54 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Ace, I would highly recommend you stay away from libraries they would be very confusing for you.

What does that even mean?

Are you equating the Bible to a library and that each book in the Bible is a separate book in the library?

Your analogy would be more apropos if every single book in a library was in one bound volume but, the Bible is presented as one entire book without any instructions from God on how to read it?

Are there any instructions from God on how to read the Bible or are all instructions given to others by man?