Yet another aviation thread.

February 28th, 2017 at 6:09:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
March 1st, 2017 at 10:12:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed
Newer developments: Ancillary fee creep is creeping ever higher.

Swiss will now charge business class passengers for seat assignments.

Ok, so this is rather limited and though BA is doing the same thing, it doesn't look likely to spread (BA's concept of business class is far too different from the market median).

But unbundling (aka ancillary fees) are a useful strategy when costs rise (oil won't stay cheap forever). So one gets thinking things like; what is Singapore begins charging premium economy and business class passengers for their renowned "book the cook" service?

And there are things like WiFi. On one hand, Jet Blue offers it free to all passengers, while airlines like Iberia charge an arm and a leg to all who want it.

There are ample opportunities to downgrade business class the way it's happened in cattle class.

We'll see.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 3rd, 2017 at 7:22:48 AM permalink
Nareed
News/rumor is Boeing is currently in the very early stages of a new, clean-sheet, middle of the market plane design.

This probably means a narrow body with capabilities more akin to the 757.

But this being Boeing, it may also mean the 737 Ultimate or something....
March 3rd, 2017 at 4:28:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://airwaysmag.com/uncategorized/next-boeing-clean-sheet-will-probably-757-replacement/
The Next Boeing Clean-Sheet Will Probably Be a 757 Replacement (11 February 2014)

That rumor has been circulating for some time now. I think the ease with which Bombardier completely took the market from the B737-7Max and the neoA319 with a clean sheet design got the attention of the big players. They may have some serious competition in five years unless they start with a clean sheet.
March 3rd, 2017 at 5:43:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
https://airwaysmag.com/uncategorized/next-boeing-clean-sheet-will-probably-757-replacement/
The Next Boeing Clean-Sheet Will Probably Be a 757 Replacement (11 February 2014)

Funny how Airbus is boasting the A321neo LR is the true B-757 replacement...

Quote:
That rumor has been circulating for some time now.

Boeing was planning a clean-sheet plane to replace the 727 in the 80s! I'm fuzzy on what played out and how, but if there was a replacement, it was either the 717 or a 737 variant. it certainly wasn't the mythical B-7J7 with the unducted fan engines.

Quote:
I think the ease with which Bombardier completely took the market from the B737-7Max and the neoA319 with a clean sheet design got the attention of the big players. They may have some serious competition in five years unless they start with a clean sheet.

I don't think Bombardier, Air Canada, the Government of Quebec or the tax payers in Canada would agree it was easy ;)

I do think Boeing and Airbus executives live in mortal fear of a C-Series C-500 or something that could compete with the 737 MAX-8-9 and the A320/1neo/ceo.

It's also something that a 737 ULTIMATE or 737 INFINITE won't be able to compete with.
March 4th, 2017 at 9:04:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I think the next major breakthrough in airliners will be in a fully electric airliner.
March 4th, 2017 at 10:41:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Fleastiff
I think the next major breakthrough in airliners will be in a fully electric airliner.

I would not expect to see that in the next 25 years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 4th, 2017 at 11:02:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: DRich
I would not expect to see that in the next 25 years.
Short haul, intercity, medium altitude, silent, will have tremendous economic appeal. Combine with Direct Flight (you fly to your destination, you don't zig zag all over the place) will motivate the engineers.

UT-Austin: Liion solid state (no explosions) battery with THREE times the charge of similar sized Li-ion electrolyte battery.

Recent use of solar cells on curved surfaces would provide trickle charge in good weather and daylight.

Its doable.
March 6th, 2017 at 6:28:53 AM permalink
Nareed
BA is planning to add more seats on its short-haul flights, bringing pitch down to 29".

Ryanair has 30".

So you deplete seat pitch, and now charge for food and drink on board. And the question is: are the fares at a ULCC-level or is it just the service?

Oh, sure. BA probably doesn't charge for printing your boarding pass at the counter, or paying by website, or for carry-on luggage. Not yet.
March 8th, 2017 at 7:30:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Boeing has announced the 737 MAX10. IT's a stretch version of the MAX9, intended to compete with the A321neo LR.

Essentially Boeing is playing catch-up to Airbus. They miscalculated by not developing the MAX10 from the start.

Development ought to be quick, as should testing, certification and entry into service. If Boeing finds enough orders for it, that is. They're boasting of the lowest ever costs per seat mile for a narrow body. We'll see.