Yet another aviation thread.

July 16th, 2018 at 1:36:56 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My wife just snagged us another great airfare. My wife and I have have been talking about going back to the Caribbean because we didn't make our annual St. Martin vacation this year due to hurricane Irma damage. We have been looking at flights that have been averaging about $700 each. Out of nowhere she gets an email advertising a flash sale on Delta. It was $180 round trip if booked through Google Flights, it was over $700 booked directly through Delta. We were able to book 3 round trip tickets for $540 total on Delta. To make it even better, I happened to have $600 worth of Delta points from my Delta Airlines Amex card.

Now I just need to snag a cheap condo for the week.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 16th, 2018 at 3:01:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DRich
Snag instead a cheap catamaran, cheap lobsters and crabs, expensive booze.
July 16th, 2018 at 7:53:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
We were able to book 3 round trip tickets for $540 total on Delta.

To which island and where do you transfer? The Wizard had some trouble with a FLL transfer to Aruba in January.
July 16th, 2018 at 9:52:23 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
My wife just snagged us another great airfare. My wife and I have have been talking about going back to the Caribbean because we didn't make our annual St. Martin vacation this year due to hurricane Irma damage. We have been looking at flights that have been averaging about $700 each. Out of nowhere she gets an email advertising a flash sale on Delta. It was $180 round trip if booked through Google Flights, it was over $700 booked directly through Delta. We were able to book 3 round trip tickets for $540 total on Delta. To make it even better, I happened to have $600 worth of Delta points from my Delta Airlines Amex card.

From your post it appears you have gotten your tickets. The on line reviews of Google Flights are mostly quite poor with the flight quotes you find on them mostly not actually available. They are only a search engine. Can you confirm you have actually got your Delta tickets at that price. I assume you are connecting through Atlanta if you are going to the southern Caribbean.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 17th, 2018 at 6:48:48 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Pacomartin
To which island and where do you transfer? The Wizard had some trouble with a FLL transfer to Aruba in January.

The outbound flight lays over in JFK for an hour 20 minutes I believe. The return flight stops in Atlanta. We are flying into Saint Maarten (SXM).
July 17th, 2018 at 6:50:50 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: kenarman
From your post it appears you have gotten your tickets. The on line reviews of Google Flights are mostly quite poor with the flight quotes you find on them mostly not actually available. They are only a search engine. Can you confirm you have actually got your Delta tickets at that price. I assume you are connecting through Atlanta if you are going to the southern Caribbean.

Yes, we booked them within an hour of her finding the deal. Google Flights linked right to the Delta site and had the $180 price. When searching it on the Delta site the price was over $700.

BTW, this flight isn't until May 2019. This is probably the farthest in advance that I have booked a flight.
July 17th, 2018 at 7:37:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Yes, we booked them within an hour of her finding the deal. Google Flights linked right to the Delta site and had the $180 price. When searching it on the Delta site the price was over $700.

BTW, this flight isn't until May 2019. This is probably the farthest in advance that I have booked a flight.

Hopefully the island will still be there after this hurricane season
You never know
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 17th, 2018 at 6:12:32 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
The outbound flight lays over in JFK for an hour 20 minutes I believe. The return flight stops in Atlanta. We are flying into Saint Maarten (SXM).

What is minimum connection time at JFK? 1hr20min seems quite short with not a whole lot of time if anything goes wrong. Do you need to change terminals?
July 17th, 2018 at 6:56:50 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Aussie
What is minimum connection time at JFK? 1hr20min seems quite short with not a whole lot of time if anything goes wrong. Do you need to change terminals?

I don't know but I agree that sounds like about as little as I would be comfortable with. Obviously Delta believes it is enough. If that was the return flight it would not be nearly enough with having to clear customs.
July 18th, 2018 at 6:45:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't know but I agree that sounds like about as little as I would be comfortable with. Obviously Delta believes it is enough. If that was the return flight it would not be nearly enough with having to clear customs.

I just checked schedules
Looks like arrival into JFK 657am if you are departing out of LAS and switching to a 835am departure out of JFK
Should be enough time as long as you arrive on time
You miss that flight, skyteam does not really have anything else that day
AA does operate a connection to SXM through MIA later in the day out of JFK if you miss the flight
Sometimes carriers will protect on competition, sometimes not. Its a case by case basis with a lot of factors to consider for the airlines.
if you are leaving out of LAS and delayed and will miss connect, ask DL to protect on the later connection out of LAS through ATL to SXM
If flying Delta, always better to be stuck in ATL rather then JFK if you miss a flight
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"