Did you ever notice?

Page 2 of 25<12345>Last »
November 12th, 2015 at 1:16:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sunday
The name comes from the Latin dies solis, meaning "sun's day": the name of a pagan Roman holiday.

Monday
The name comes from the Anglo-Saxon monandaeg, "the moon's day". This second day was sacred to the goddess of the moon.

Tuesday
This day was named after the Norse god Tyr. The Romans named this day after their war-god Mars: dies Martis.

Wednesday
The day named to honor Wodan (Odin).
The Romans called it dies Mercurii, after their god Mercury.

Thursday
The day named after the Norse god Thor.

Friday
The day in honor of the Norse goddess Frigg.

Saturday
This day was called dies Saturni, "Saturn's Day", by the ancient Romans in honor of Saturn.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2015 at 1:31:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: pew
The sabbath is a Jewish, not a christian thing.

Judaism is a Christian thing, but Christianity is not a Jewish thing.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 12th, 2015 at 2:06:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
Judaism is a Christian thing

Being Jewish is a Christian thing? Jesus
was Jewish, so Christianity IS a Jewish
thing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 13th, 2015 at 7:55:20 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I don't think Christians care what days or months are called. It doesn't concern us one bit. Calling a month January and a day Thursday is not honoring a non-Christian God. It's not like God gave any commentary or commandments of how one should treat calendars. If anything, Jesus told people to pay respect to Caesar as it has nothing to do with paying respect to God. Calendars are the same.

So your arguments are ridiculous. God did not come up with names of months or days of weeks. If anything, they followed the solar calendar and lunar months. Julius Caesar converted from Lunar to Solar in 46 AD. Christianity at the time was in its infancy and there is no mention of any resistance by anyone to the new calendar.
November 13th, 2015 at 8:21:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo
Calling a month January and a day Thursday is not honoring a non-Christian God.

Of course not.

And wishing someone "Happy Holidays" is not the same as saying "I hate Christmas and I'm making war on it."

Quote:
So your arguments are ridiculous.

By design.

Quote:
Julius Caesar converted from Lunar to Solar in 46 AD.

Intricacies of the calendar aside, old JC died in 44 BCE. By 46 CE he was rather incapable of doing much. I think you confused the BCE with the outdated (no pun intended) AD. I don't recall the exact dates, but 46 BCE, two years before Caesar's murder, at the height of his powers, would be a strong possibility for the calendar reform.

In any case his calendar reforms did not include renaming the months of the year. I think the only people to do that were the French revolutionaries, who even dated the Revolution as Year One. This actually lasted quite a while, as even Napoleon used this calendar. But the months were rather blandly named things like Thermidor, Fructidor, Prairal and Brumaire.

I don't recall whether Napoleon restored the use of the old calendar, or whether that waited until the restoration and Louis XVIII.

Before the Romans renamed months after Caesar and Augustus, these were known by Latin numerals dignifying 5 and 6. It's odd they never renamed the remaining numbered months after other emperors, like Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 13th, 2015 at 9:33:19 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
Judaism is a Christian thing, but Christianity is not a Jewish thing.
Are you saying that only the Jews need to recognize the Sabbath day, but Christians can do something different?

I don't see how you can "keep this day holy", and recognize it at your convenience. If that is the case, why not recognize Easter in July?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 13th, 2015 at 10:55:44 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: boymimbo
I don't think Christians care what days or months are called. .

They also don't seem to care that
the entire religion has a pagan
origin. Every bit of it. That's why
they have silliness like virgin births
and rising from the dead and rituals
like drinking wine is really the blood
of a guy who died millennia ago.

It's pure pagan superstitious nonsense.
It's from an age where they blamed
everything they didn't understand on
demons, devils, and the supernatural.
How some think it still has validity today
is the real mystery.
November 13th, 2015 at 11:20:27 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Dalex64
So, "Remember the Sabbath, and keep it holy" isn't one of the Christian ten commandments?
There is no Christian ten commandments.
November 13th, 2015 at 11:28:10 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: petroglyph
Are you saying that only the Jews need to recognize the Sabbath day, but Christians can do something different?

I'm saying that keeping the Sabbath day is something both Christians and Jews do. Christians believing that the hope for the Messiah is fulfilled and proven in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ on Sunday have moved the Sabbath to that "first day of the week".

For Evenbob, I do want to jut say briefly that any serious look at the mythology of the old pagan religions show that there is little to no connection to Christianity. Of course, rarely do people seriously and objectively look at the similarities and differences. The other thing to remember about his so called argument is that having foreshadowing in the past has nothing to do with the reality of the Christ event, which alone can be judged credible by historical study. Finally, as I've mentioned before there is only one great story. Any good movie, book, song, art, poem, or story always involves humble underdogs, loving self-sacrifice, and final victory. It is the greatest story ever of Jesus Christ being told again and again in many different ways - from Shawshank Redemption to Star Wars.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 13th, 2015 at 12:07:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: pew
There is no Christian ten commandments.

I wish all the Ten Commandment monument fetishists realized this.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 25<12345>Last »