No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)
3 votes (75%)

4 members have voted

December 11th, 2015 at 3:27:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

I don't think the military liked Obama much, but for the most part, they respect the chain of command. Also, it isn't the military that does the impeaching.

I have heard from guys in the military that the change from Clinton-Bush then Bush-Obama changed morale within weeks of the new administrations. But yeah, military impeachment = coup.
The President is a fink.
December 11th, 2015 at 10:11:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
But yeah, military impeachment = coup.

I think we are a long way from a coup. But IMHO if you want to impeach someone, you can find a reason. Take the Monica Lewinsky scandal. The only part of that scandal that was public, was President Clinton's public denial, which while reprehensible could still be viewed as a married man with his hand in the cookie jar trying to save face. It is a good example of trying to impeach someone because you want to impeach him/her.
December 11th, 2015 at 7:24:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
I think we are a long way from a coup. But IMHO if you want to impeach someone, you can find a reason. Take the Monica Lewinsky scandal. The only part of that scandal that was public, was President Clinton's public denial, which while reprehensible could still be viewed as a married man with his hand in the cookie jar trying to save face. It is a good example of trying to impeach someone because you want to impeach him/her.

Not saying we will have a coup, saying the military don't need no stinking impeachment.

Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, not just fooling around and lying about it. He also faced disbarment and in fact agreed to in so as not to face a contempt of court case. As an attorney he would and should be held to a higher standard here than a non-attorney politician. One can make your own call on if this is impeachable or not, but one cannot say it was just "lying about sex."
The President is a fink.
December 11th, 2015 at 7:41:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One can make your own call on if this is impeachable or not, but one cannot say it was just "lying about sex."

No, that makes a mockery of people accused of lying about much more serious things. For one thing the activity he was accused of lying wasn't even illegal activity. It would actually be worse if Clinton lied about unpaid parking tickets.

Sorry it was lying about sex.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 11th, 2015 at 7:55:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
No, that makes a mockery of people accused of lying about much more serious things. For one thing the activity he was accused of lying wasn't even illegal activity. It would actually be worse if Clinton lied about unpaid parking tickets.

Sorry it was lying about sex.

Sorry, but you lie under oath and it is caller perjury. Let me ask you a hypothetical.....

Your mother goes into a room to see her boss. He drops his pants and asks her for oral sex. She storms out of the room. She talks to HR but the boss is pretty high up. So she gets a lawyer and sues. Said lawyer in discovery asks her boss if he ever had any sexual relations with any women in the office, a standard practice to establish a pattern.

While her boss did have an affair with an intern in the office he just lies and says, "no, I did not." Unable to establish any kind of pattern the case is dismissed and your mother has lost her job.

Now, would you be happy to say the guy just "lied about sex" and it was no big deal?
The President is a fink.
December 11th, 2015 at 8:07:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Sorry, but you lie under oath and it is caller perjury. Let me ask you a hypothetical.....

Your mother goes into a room to see her boss. He drops his pants and asks her for oral sex. She storms out of the room. She talks to HR but the boss is pretty high up. So she gets a lawyer and sues. Said lawyer in discovery asks her boss if he ever had any sexual relations with any women in the office, a standard practice to establish a pattern.

While her boss did have an affair with an intern in the office he just lies and says, "no, I did not." Unable to establish any kind of pattern the case is dismissed and your mother has lost her job.

Now, would you be happy to say the guy just "lied about sex" and it was no big deal?

No big deal, since that's not evidence of a crime. Sure it's what lawyers use, but so what, police lie to suspects to get confessions and they are legally allowed to do so. Does that make it ethical or right. I don't think so, it's just allowed.

You still got to prove your case, and you either can or you can't.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 11th, 2015 at 8:16:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
One can make your own call on if this is impeachable or not, but one cannot say it was just "lying about sex."

----------------------
Regarding Clinton's January 17, 1998, deposition where he was placed under oath, the judge wrote:

"Simply put, the president's deposition testimony regarding whether he had ever been alone with Ms. (Monica) Lewinsky was intentionally false, and his statements regarding whether he had ever engaged in sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky likewise were intentionally false...."

In January 2001, on the day before leaving office, Clinton agreed to a five-year suspension of his Arkansas law license as part of an agreement with the independent counsel[clarification needed] to end the investigation. Based on this state bar suspension, Clinton was automatically suspended from the United States Supreme Court bar and allowed 40 days to appeal an otherwise-automatic disbarment; Clinton chose to resign during the appeals period.
--------------
Well, I agree with you that it was a completely dishonest act to lie to the American people and to lie under oath. He should have just said, I refuse to answer the question, or I refuse to discuss personal matters. I was very angry with him for lying.

But, I don't think it was a matter for impeachment.
December 11th, 2015 at 11:05:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Well, I agree with you that it was a completely dishonest act to lie to the American people and to lie under oath. He should have just said, I refuse to answer the question, or I refuse to discuss personal matters. I was very angry with him for lying.

I agree 100%.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 12th, 2015 at 12:26:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

He was an unhappy husband, married to a
witch, who was just getting a wizzer in the
oval office from a very young admirer. And
lied about it. No problem if you're the
mayor of Podunk. Big problem if you're
the Commander in Chief.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2015 at 5:21:01 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
He was an unhappy husband, married to a
witch, who was just getting a wizzer in the
oval office from a very young admirer. And
lied about it. No problem if you're the
mayor of Podunk. Big problem if you're
the Commander in Chief.

Why was it a big problem?

It wasn't a problem for JFK.

Many details available - google for kennedy philanderer - here is one:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/killing-kennedy/articles/the-sex-life-of-jfk/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 4 of 5<12345>