Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 28th, 2016 at 3:45:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Your mom also knows to give you some privacy.

I never understood why the all seeing
god idea was a selling point for a religion.
I remember the relief I felt as a kid when
I found out Santa was a myth. He wasn't
making a secret list of all my deeds?
Fantastic news.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 28th, 2016 at 3:56:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Even before I visited, I'd seen pictures of the Falls.

Have you a photograph of Jehovah you'd care to share?

Whatever did they do before the invention of photography? Have you been to Victoria Falls? I have and I think I could do a better job explaining it to you than if I should you a picture. Also a picture is not nearly good enough to convince anyone now a days especially because of photoshop. If someone shows you with their life that something is real you can really tell if something is true or not.

Quote:
Exactly. What right does Jehovah have to any information I choose to keep private? I never opted-in to his data mining scheme.

Um...He is God who created you. Do you think there is information you have that He doesn't know or has no right to?

Quote:
Your mom also knows to give you some privacy.

So does God. Have you ever felt oppressed or worried about God knowing everything about you?

Quote:
So 1) Jehovah is a peeping tom and not a stalker, or 2) Jehovah can't help invading your privacy every moment of every day for your whole life.

"Big Brother is Watching You."

Or God is all-knowing as the eternal creator of all things. Think big not small.

Quote:
Killing innocent people for the actions of other people is not just abusive, it's psychotic.

Innocent people being killed because of the actions of other people happens all the time, it is the reality of sin. Especially if you live in a place that considers it good to wickedly enslave people with cruelty and rip away infant sons from their mothers and throw them into the Nile. Yeah, that is a dangerous place to live, it would be psychotic to think that this type of abuse would not have serious consequences.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 28th, 2016 at 3:57:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I agree. The only correction I would make

I should think you'd object to "one hell of a good ending."

Actually I think there won't be an end. Not to humanity, or to be more precise, not to whatever humanity evolves into. Science fiction is filled with such stories. I know the universe seems to come with an expiration date. If so we will either 1) go out when the universe does, or 2) find a substitute. One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite novels goes "We can't give up just because the universe does."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 28th, 2016 at 4:03:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Whatever did they do before the invention of photography?

Ok. I'll play:

I've seen several types of waterfalls.

Do you have a collection of divine specimens you care to share?

Quote:
Um...He is God who created you. Do you think there is information you have that He doesn't know or has no right to?

He has no right to anything taken without consent, nor does anyone else.

Quote:
So does God. Have you ever felt oppressed or worried about God knowing everything about you?

No. I also never felt threatened by unicorns or fearful of vampires.

Quote:
Innocent people being killed because of the actions of other people happens all the time, it is the reality of sin.

Innocent people killed expressly by Jehovah for the sins of other people happens all the time in the Bible. it's the nature of the psychopath you worship.

How many Israelites do you suppose the newborn first son of a random Egyptian woman mistreat or kill?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 28th, 2016 at 5:09:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Or God is all-knowing as the eternal creator of all things. Think big not small.

Or god is a figment of your imagination
that you think you have a relationship with
but is actually self delusion. Think
rationally, not irrationally.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 28th, 2016 at 7:24:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Or god is a figment of your imagination
that you think you have a relationship with
but is actually self delusion. Think
rationally, not irrationally.

You know just closing your eyes and saying something is your imagination does not make it so. Stop deluding yourself into thinking atheism is rational, it is the opposite. To make a positive truth claim that there is definitely no God without any evidence and refusing to recognize the evidence that there is a God is close to the definition of irrationality or self-delusion as you can get. Give it up.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 28th, 2016 at 7:37:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I agree. The only correction I would make is that God has not inflicted any misery upon us, but He does allow it to happen.

Maybe that's the idea some of the Catholic leadership had when they ignored pedophiles. We didn't do it, and it's god-like to allow misery even when you might have prevented it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2016 at 8:27:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
To make a positive truth claim that there is definitely no God without any evidence and refusing to recognize the evidence .

Again, present some real evidence and atheists
will listen. You have none and you know you
have none, give it up. Using your imagination
once to pretend you're talking to a god is
meaningless. Do it hundreds and then thousands
of times and it takes on a life of it's own. We
are better at lying to ourselves than any other
person on earth.
January 28th, 2016 at 8:44:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Again, present some real evidence and atheists
will listen.

Year's ago when I first became so skeptical that I left the faith I was brought up in, I kept thinking in that early time when I start bringing up my doubts about the existence of god and the faith, that surely someone would point out things I had simply missed.

I had some interesting conversations, but the people I thought most informed never came up with the evidence.

Well, that's why they call it "faith" I guess. Otherwise, it would be called "facts".
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2016 at 8:47:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
I had some interesting conversations, but the people I thought most informed never came up with the evidence.

They've fooled themselves into thinking it's
evidence, or been fooled. It's an easy trap
to fall into especially when you want to be
fooled to begin with.