Simple question?

Thread Rating:

February 6th, 2016 at 5:58:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Why hinduism is science-proof:
http://m.timesofindia.com/edit-page/Why-Hinduism-Is-Science-proof/articleshow/6884126.cms

Why hinduism is the true religion:
https://western-hindu.org/2008/05/28/hinduism-is-the-eternal-way-and-the-true-religion/

The first page has a statement when talking about christianity and hinduism: "Both depend ultimately on faith and, indeed, this is true of
all religions."

Faith is the choice to believe in something without the necessity of proof.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 6th, 2016 at 8:36:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I remember some good points about claiming that these atheistic governments removed God they created a secular type of religion. Even if you weaken this evidence, and I'm not convinced anyone has, you still have quite a bit to deal with still.

Dishonest arguments are the worst type of arguments.

You make it sound as 1) totalitarian regimes were "atheist" regimes, and 2) that atheism invariably, inevitably and consequentially means totalitarianism.

In both instances, you conveniently keep out the fact that such regimes were terrible because they were totalitarian, not because of any other reason. You conveniently keep from mentioning there have been totalitarian religious regimes, including Christian ones.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 6th, 2016 at 10:22:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Dishonest arguments are the worst type of arguments.

Arguments that assume the motivation of others are the worst type of arguments.

Quote:
You make it sound as 1) totalitarian regimes were "atheist" regimes, and 2) that atheism invariably, inevitably and consequentially means totalitarianism.

In both instances, you conveniently keep out the fact that such regimes were terrible because they were totalitarian, not because of any other reason. You conveniently keep from mentioning there have been totalitarian religious regimes, including Christian ones.

Yes, it is not the atheism that makes them terrible or cause the most violent and bloody century in human history. However, I believe that atheism does nothing to fight against such totalitarianism. In some ways I think atheism creates a space for a dictator, a government, or other institution to take the place of God and cause the problems we have witnessed.

In many things, especially history, I would defer to your knowledge of the existence of Christian totalitarian regimes. It is interesting that they don't come to mind immediately for any of us like say the Nazis, Russia, Pol Pot, etc. Maybe that is because they didn't kill millions of their own people, commit genocide, or claim racial superiority? To be totalitarian in the sense we saw in the atrocities of the 20th Century you have to constantly fight against Christianity or distort it in ways that you cannot sustain. That is why in all these modern totalitarian states they need to be atheistic or twist the Church and its teaching and put it under their thumb.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 6th, 2016 at 10:25:05 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
So is my grandmother, but that doesn't mean I can have a conversation or relationship with her, as she is dead.

What happened today grandmother? (Kind of one -sided relationship.) What did she say? What did she do today? I've nothing to report.

Your grandmother is very much alive and praying for you I am sure. Love does not end at death, you are still connected in a real way not only through memories and inspiration she has given you when alive but through her continued support and care for you. A relationship that is silent is not always one-sided.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 6th, 2016 at 10:26:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
More anecdotes and arguments won't transform into evidence by their sheer added weight.

No but testimony, science, history, logical truths, and philosophical arguments are evidence.
February 6th, 2016 at 10:45:48 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
You asked a question and I answered and
I want to know what your response is.

I love how you want an answer to all your posts even when they are quite strange and unreasonable. I have already figured out that when you have lost an argument you just don't respond and drop the topic or the thread. Because I do not want you thinking for a second that this is the case here I will gladly respond and sorry I did not respond earlier.

In regards to the witches you are correct. They had no evidence that witches were guilty of the acts they were accused of.

In regards to things that do have evidence behind them please refer to the recent list I posted.
February 6th, 2016 at 12:33:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
In regards to the witches you are correct. They had no evidence that witches were guilty of the acts they were accused of.

Yet the Church believed so much that they
were guilty, they killed thousands, some
say 10's of thousands, over a period of
hundreds of years. Thousands of poor,
innocent, screaming for their lives women.
All murdered because of a Church that
can't tell the difference between fact and
self delusion.

And you want us to take the word of this same
Church, that Jesus is alive and well and guides
their lives every day, with the same lack of evidence
that you murdered all those poor women for.

If you could go back in time, a priest could show
you ample 'evidence' of the witches guilt. Just
like you show us ample 'evidence' that you talk
to Jesus every day. Luckily for us, the Church's
claws have been removed and you can no longer
murder us because we see your 'evidence' as
nonsense.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 6th, 2016 at 1:21:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Thousands of poor,
innocent, screaming for their lives women.
All murdered because of a Church that
can't tell the difference between fact and
self delusion.
The church knew. They have always known, at least the upper echelon.

It is a protection racket as old as Babylon.

The carrot or the stick.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 6th, 2016 at 2:01:42 PM permalink
Dalex64
All you have to do is use Google to search for Christian Totalitarianism for several examples, such as:
http://www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaster/Reading/Religion/Christian%20Totalitarianism.htm
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 6th, 2016 at 2:20:30 PM permalink
Dalex64
I think Bob in particular will find this site to be a good read:
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/DebunkingChristians/Contents.htm
A little history, a little point-by-point. I'm reading it now to see if it says something we haven't already said here.
It is useful for the critically thinking person, though, since it seems to gather up so many of the arguments against christianity in one place. The author even claims to believe in God. Unlike the last site similar to this that I linked to, this author does not appear to be a satanist.