Trump & Putin

February 16th, 2017 at 10:39:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Does anyone think that an unnamed government officials leaking what are likely illegal recordings to the media is probably worse than anything that might have been said in the phone conversation. It appears awful close to treason to me.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 16th, 2017 at 11:02:45 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: kenarman
Does anyone think that an unnamed government officials leaking what are likely illegal recordings to the media is probably worse than anything that might have been said in the phone conversation. It appears awful close to treason to me.

But it doesn't bother you that colluding with a foreign government to influence the results of an election, which wasn't exactly confined to Flynn (no matter how much the administration tries to throw him under the bus), is high treason?

As to the leaks, they may have been technically illegal. But they do not fit the definition of treason. In fact, it could be easily argued that it is a brave act of loyalty to one's country to put oneself at risk to EXPOSE treason, which is what the leakers did.

BTW, the leakers who helped to bring Nixon down were often in technical violation of the law as well. And I am willing to bet that you are perfectly fine with the leakers in Obama's White House who manufactured scandals. Because he's a Muslim darky.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:35:01 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58

If a government official breaks the law and a CIA agent learns of it, don't the voters have a right to know that the official is a criminal (even if it means the agent must leak classified information)?

I think the answer to this question is entirely dependent upon the nature of the crime.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:37:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

That's like blaming the fire alarm for the fire.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2017 at 11:40:01 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Nareed
That's like blaming the fire alarm for the fire.

Which is true if it is actually a false alarm and there is no fire.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:43:41 AM permalink
kenarman
"Legal Definition of treason. : the offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country" Merriam Webster.

Sounds a lot like that is what is going on by the media and entrenched bureaucrats that don't like the new kid on the block.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:44:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Which is true if it is actually a false alarm and there is no fire.

So he didn't lie to Vice President Pence either? Don't you think keeping senior administration officials in the dark about policy actions is even slightly wrong?
February 16th, 2017 at 11:46:39 AM permalink
Nareed
"Legal Definition of treason. : the offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country" Merriam Webster.

Sounds a lot like that is what is going on by the media and entrenched bureaucrats that don't like the new kid on the block.

A literal implication of this rather simplistic definition, would mean anyone who votes against Pence in 2020 is guilty of treason.

Pick your battles. Defending the indefensible is not an easy task.
February 16th, 2017 at 12:03:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Nareed
Defending the indefensible is not an easy task.

I look to you Nareed for help with tha since you have much more experience with doing it.
February 16th, 2017 at 1:50:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It looks like Trump may also have kept Pence in the dark. Sometime in January Trump found out about what was going on, but didn't tell Pence, who didn't find out until sometime in February.

Trump and his team decided nothing illegal happened. (like we should just trust them)

So all was fine with them, and the "trust issues," until it became public.

Suddenly there were trust issues and a resignation was called for.

So, he could continue to trust the guy... that is, until knowledge of what he did became public. Then he can't trust him.

Things that make you go hmm.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan