GO TRUMPER! GO TRUMPER! GO TRUMPER!

January 6th, 2021 at 12:10:21 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Perhaps there are some non-violent ways to calm down the protesters, such as:

Trump concedes that he lost the election.

If that isn't enough, then he can then resign, in an attempt to end once and for all the notion that he will remain president.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 6th, 2021 at 12:16:10 PM permalink
Altstates93
Threads: 0
Would calling this sedition be too strong or too mild?
January 6th, 2021 at 1:39:38 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Altstates93
Would calling this sedition be too strong or too mild?

Good question. Like many here who approach the 'suspension line', it certainly is close. He would never be convicted of such, if the 'beyond a reasonable doubt' standard had to be met.

Conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

I'd vote, yes, his actions and words were sedition, but I would not convict him if I was a jury member. I just can't wait until he is no longer in power. I may be beginning to suffer from TDS!
January 6th, 2021 at 1:55:59 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Good question. Like many here who approach the 'suspension line', it certainly is close. He would never be convicted of such, if the 'beyond a reasonable doubt' standard had to be met.

Conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

I'd vote, yes, his actions and words were sedition, but I would not convict him if I was a jury member. I just can't wait until he is no longer in power. I may be beginning to suffer from TDS!

He didn't say anything seditious. At no point did he encourage violence.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2021 at 2:01:53 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146

I put the first definition of sedition. It specifically does NOT mention violence.

And others would disagree with you. (not me) Some are saying his words did encourage violence.

If you do not consider what happened today as 'rebelling against the authority of a state' then I will not be able to convince you.
If you do not think that Trump encouraged the above, then I will not be able to convince you.
January 6th, 2021 at 2:09:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146

He sent an angry mob to the capital
He disgusts me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 6th, 2021 at 2:10:41 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I put the first definition of sedition. It specifically does NOT mention violence.

And others would disagree with you. (not me) Some are saying his words did encourage violence.

If you do not consider what happened today as 'rebelling against the authority of a state' then I will not be able to convince you.
If you do not think that Trump encouraged the above, then I will not be able to convince you.

He didn't incite anyone to rebel. He literally spent the better part of the time talking about how he intends to, "Primary," the Republicans in the House and Senate that don't do what he wants them to. Appropriate? Probably not. Presidential? Definitely not. A crime of any kind? No way in hell.

It's a pretty big jump from talking about primary-ing people to that somehow being interpreted as, "Attack the Capitol Building immediately."

If anyone says that his speech encouraged violence, then they either have no language comprehension whatsoever or did not watch it. Honestly, it was about 1/5th as inflammatory as I was expecting. Then again, I was kind of expecting (maybe hoping) that he'd just flat out snap at some point.

Trump invoked the Constitution throughout. I'm not someone inclined to defend Trump, just read my posts. Hell, you once repudiated me for misquoting him and encouraged me to watch the full content of one of his speeches---which I did.

Anyway, he didn't rebel against anything other than the Republicans who do not intend to vote his way...as if it would even mathematically matter if they did. He'd need Democrats on board. He knows it. It's over. This was just a publicity stunt.

Does it really surprise anyone that he couldn't find it within himself to have a united front with the Republican Party? I'd hope to hell not. He's spent the last four years being the most divisive piece of $*** to ever (dis)grace the Oval Office. Do you people really expect him to change lines in defeat?

But sedition, it was not.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2021 at 2:11:01 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
He sent an angry mob to the capital
He disgusts me

He literally told them to peacefully protest.
January 6th, 2021 at 2:16:08 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My question now is, how along until the first serious assassination attempt on Biden?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 6th, 2021 at 2:35:38 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
LOL! Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean everyone ISN"T out to get you!

The first protester who breached a security checkpoint should have been shot dead. Same for the second one. Etc....

I still am not worried, except for possible violence towards any official. I have been saying for quite some while.... Biden will be President on January 20.... we just have to get through this stupidity.

Teaches us a lesson for electing a man like Trump. But it won't interfere in my Saturday Bill's game viewing. If it does, then I will have TDS.

I believe Biden will take the oath of office on January 20. I also believe ammo will remain in short supply for at least two more years. Don't know when I will go back to the range.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.