2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

February 21st, 2018 at 11:37:56 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Face
Also why 99% of CAN's population lives within 10 minutes of NRA territory. They're trying to get our sweet, sweet freedom, but are simply too polite to cross illegally. So they pile up and wait ;)

Almost true.
February 21st, 2018 at 12:23:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Now I know why some of Florida legislators have guns. They are afraid to talk to high school students. Mice at work, do not bother.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2018 at 5:37:20 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Gun ownership in Canada per capita is about 1/3 of the US rate which is still a very large number or guns. Given that stat I think the problem in the US is not the number of guns but something in the national psyche relating to the use of the guns you have in the US. Most of the gun deaths in Canada are gang bangers, suicides or accidental. We do have the occasional school shooting but no where near the same rate as the US.

I don't think gun legislation will solve the US problem I think it is more of national readiness to use the guns to solve your personal problems. I also think that having to examine every detail of a shooters life on the news turning them into a celebrity makes the next person who is pissed off at the world think shooting everyone in sight is more of a reasonable option and everyone will know it was him and how pissed off he was.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 22nd, 2018 at 9:12:16 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: kenarman
I don't think gun legislation will solve the US problem I think it is more of national readiness to use the guns to solve your personal problems. I also think that having to examine every detail of a shooters life on the news turning them into a celebrity makes the next person who is pissed off at the world think shooting everyone in sight is more of a reasonable option and everyone will know it was him and how pissed off he was.

It's not easy to legally own a handgun in Canada as they are restricted weapons. Rifles and long guns are easy to obtain provided you go through the check. There are measures in Canada that make you take a gun safety course and licensed before you can own a gun. Mind you, that doesn't prevent private sellers to sell their gun to anyone.

I completely agree that the culture of guns is a problem in the United States. Unfortunately solving the problem is not as simple as banning guns. It's a changing of the culture that is necessary and eventually regulating guns to the point where the protection of society matches the freedom allowed.
February 22nd, 2018 at 10:18:17 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: boymimbo
It's not easy to legally own a handgun in Canada as they are restricted weapons. Rifles and long guns are easy to obtain provided you go through the check. There are measures in Canada that make you take a gun safety course and licensed before you can own a gun. Mind you, that doesn't prevent private sellers to sell their gun to anyone.

I completely agree that the culture of guns is a problem in the United States. Unfortunately solving the problem is not as simple as banning guns. It's a changing of the culture that is necessary and eventually regulating guns to the point where the protection of society matches the freedom allowed.

If you spend a lot of time in the bush it is not hard to get a permit for a hand gun in Canada. Lots of my friends have legal hand guns for protection when surveying, logging, riding the range, even hiking in the back country. Urban hand guns seem to be mostly illegal and in the hands of the gang bangers. The gangs in my rural part of the world are all indian (aboriginal).
February 22nd, 2018 at 10:41:45 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The gangs in my rural part of the world are all indian (aboriginal).
Are they up to much mischief? In AK. the red/blue and some Latino action has arrived in the largest city, but in small towns it seems limited to mostly white youth and narcotics, not a lot of violence, although almost everyone has a firearm. The natives, mostly hurt themselves, often with the use of alcohol, or huffing.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 22nd, 2018 at 11:24:17 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: petroglyph
Are they up to much mischief? In AK. the red/blue and some Latino action has arrived in the largest city, but in small towns it seems limited to mostly white youth and narcotics, not a lot of violence, although almost everyone has a firearm. The natives, mostly hurt themselves, often with the use of alcohol, or huffing.

Armed street robberies, drive by shootings and a couple of murders. You don't want to be in our downtown park after dark. Not large numbers but we only have a population of 12K. Rip their elders off for their compensation money from the residential school fiasco.
February 22nd, 2018 at 12:17:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Armed street robberies, drive by shootings and a couple of murders. You don't want to be in our downtown park after dark. Not large numbers but we only have a population of 12K. Rip their elders off for their compensation money from the residential school fiasco.
Remember how incredibly rare that was growing up?

I have run in to way more violent indians in the lower 48, percentage wise versus the northern aboriginals. Most all the tribes except the Tlinkits are smaller and non violent unless drunk. I think they have the highest incest rate in the nation though. In one village I worked in, they said the Aids rate was 97% of the inhabitants which they said proved a high incidence of incest. All of the villages were totally native with an occasionally token white person, often the school teacher.

Weed is now for recreational purposes in AK. I hope that works better for the natives than alcohol and huffing did. That has slaughtered entire villages.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 22nd, 2018 at 12:34:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I think they have the highest incest rate in the nation though.

Why go to all the effort to find
a girlfriend when your sister is
right there 24/7. Makes perfect
sense to them. It's a hillbilly
mentality, you used to see it in
the back hills of W Virginia all
the time. I knew a woman from
there who was forced to have
regular sex with all her brothers
until she finally ran away.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 24th, 2018 at 11:24:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There will be signs and wonders

Money is no sure thing, but it's not a bad thing either in this case. Possibly almost all mid-terms could be related to the Trump presidency

Quote:
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz's likely Democratic challenger has far outpaced the Texas Republican in fundraising so far this election year, federal filings show.
U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke from El Paso announced the news at a Friday town hall in Dallas, drawing cheers from the crowd -- and newfound attention for a race that has long been considered in the bag for the GOP.
Despite his still-long odds, O'Rourke raised approximately $2.3 million in the first six weeks of 2018, while Cruz took in only $800,000, according to a campaign finance report first obtained by the Dallas Morning News.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ted-cruz-losing-2018-fundraising-race-to-likely-democratic-challenger-filings-show/ar-BBJw44B?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?