2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

August 1st, 2018 at 5:48:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Trump is correct, you cannot survive in the USA in modern times without an ID.

?????????????
Just cant fly
If I don't fly, don't need ID
I could go years and years in my modern life and never present ID for anything if I decide not to fly
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 1st, 2018 at 6:04:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hey terapined this was in your neck of the woods.

Quote:
“Tampa rally, live coverage,” wrote “Dan,” posting a link to President Trump’s Tampa speech in a thread on 8chan, an anonymous image board also known as Infinitechan or Infinitychan, which might be best described as the unglued twin of better-known 4chan, a message board already untethered from reality.

The thread invited “requests to Q,” an anonymous user claiming to be a government agent with top security clearance, waging war against the so-called deep state in service to the 45th president. “Q” feeds disciples, or “bakers,” scraps of intelligence, or “bread crumbs,” that they scramble to bake into an understanding of the “storm,” the community’s term — drawn from Trump’s cryptic reference last year to “the calm before the storm” — for the president’s final conquest over elites, globalists and deep-state saboteurs.

Quote:
Believers in “QAnon,” as the conspiracy theory is known, were front and center at the Florida State Fairgrounds Expo Hall, where Trump came to stump for Republican candidates. As the president spoke, a sign rose from the audience. “We are Q,” it read. Another poster displayed text arranged in a “Q” pattern: “Where we go one we go all.”

The symbol appeared on clothing, too. A man and a woman wore matching white T-shirts with the YouTube logo encircled in a blue “Q.” The video-sharing website came under criticism this week for unwittingly becoming a platform for baseless claims, first promoted on Twitter and Reddit by QAnon believers, that certain Hollywood celebrities are pedophiles. A search for one of those celebrities’ names on Monday returned videos purporting to show his victims sharing their stories.

The prominence of the “Q” symbol turned parts of the audience into a tableau of delusion and paranoia — and offered stark evidence that QAnon, an outgrowth of the #Pizzagate conspiracy theory that led a gunman to open fire in a D.C. restaurant last year, has leaped from Internet message boards to the president’s “Make America Great Again” tour through America.

“Pray Trump mentions Q!” one user wrote on 8chan. He didn’t need to. As hazy corners of the Internet buzzed about the president’s speech, his appearance became a real-life show of force for the community that has mostly operated behind the veil of anonymity on

I'd really like to believe it is pranksters, but I have watched some of the nonsense Hannity promotes about deep state.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/‘we-are-q’-a-deranged-conspiracy-cult-leaps-from-the-internet-to-the-crowd-at-trump’s-‘maga’-tour/ar-BBLlNdc?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 1st, 2018 at 6:11:38 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
What you have to understand is that liberals in the USA think that minorities are not intelligent enough to figure out how to get a form of ID. This is their rationale for being against requiring it.

Trump is correct, you cannot survive in the USA in modern times without an ID. You need one to get a regular job or to open a bank account. That is the two most basic things. The full list is long. A person would have to be a homeless hermit living by begging on the street not to have an ID. But we still hear from liberals how many minorities just do not have one and are not intelligent enough to get one. They never mention anyone but minorities not having ID for some reason.

Vote fraud is very possible without ID and with the other favorite thing of the left, same day registration. There have been cases of a busload of minorities showing up to a poll a few minutes before closing, demanding to vote. Sometimes having just a utility bill as "proof of ID." Yes, they can somehow manage to get a busload of people to the polls, but they cannot teach them to get an ID or register on time. Sometimes these cases go to an "emergency" hearing to let the people vote or not. In most polls the standard always was if you got in line before closing time you could vote, but they figuratively "closed the door" at closing time so people could not just keep showing up. The leaders of the busloads would often tell the poor pollworkers they might be sued personally if they "don't let these people vote."

Clean elections really require a registration cutoff of a few weeks before the election and showing ID when you actually get there. Neither is hard for a grown-up to meet. The only real reason to be against them is to promote election fraud. A few people have been caught, one voting for Obama like 5 or 6 times. But we keep hearing the cry of "disenfranchisement" because people refuse to act like adults and register then show their ID. The USA can be a weird place, I can imagine no other country where this would play.

EDIT: Names of non-US citizens increasingly found on voter rolls.

Ok so are there places where you can vote without ID or not? Seem to be getting conflicting answers here. By ID I mean some government issued document that proves you are a citizen? What is the minimum requirement to vote? You mentioned utility bill. Ok great that proves you live somewhere, doesn’t prove citizenship (or that it’s really you for that matter).

I don’t really care about all the partisan opinion in your post because I’m sure for every negative left example you give there would be similar for the right. Just depends what side you support as to which picture you choose to paint. I do agree that there should be every effort made to ensure only those eligible to vote are able to. The problem with a cutoff date for registration is that people who intend not to vote may change their mind last minute. Not sure you should be depriving people of that right. I think you just need more stringent regulations around the proof of eligibility. Stringent in what needs to be provided but also give plenty of assistance to people trying to provide it.
August 1st, 2018 at 6:41:30 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Aussie

Ok so are there places where you can vote without ID or not? Seem to be getting conflicting answers here. By ID I mean some government issued document that proves you are a citizen? What is the minimum requirement to vote? You mentioned utility bill. Ok great that proves you live somewhere, doesn’t prove citizenship (or that it’s really you for that matter)..

There is no standard document in the USA that proves US citizenship
I know because I am a US citizen and have difficulty proving my citizenship
I have a long paper trail of 60 year old documents that prove my citizenship that I keep in a safety deposit box
I was not born in the USA but my birth was immediately reported to the US State Dept in the Republic of China and I have that original long form.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 1st, 2018 at 6:46:52 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
Hey terapined this was in your neck of the woods.

I'm a working man
No time for this
The last time I saw trump in Tampa was at the massive convention center in downtown Tampa
He filled about 1/3 of the room then
This rally took place at the much smaller exhibition building at the fair grounds
August 1st, 2018 at 6:54:04 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Ok so are there places where you can vote without ID or not? Seem to be getting conflicting answers here. By ID I mean some government issued document that proves you are a citizen? What is the minimum requirement to vote? You mentioned utility bill. Ok great that proves you live somewhere, doesn’t prove citizenship (or that it’s really you for that matter).

Voter ID laws are state-by-state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws_in_the_United_States

There is a picture on that page with a quick overview.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 1st, 2018 at 9:58:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Part answered elsewhere, but I will elaborate. A utility bill proves NOTHING. Unless you have ID to show your name is the name on the bill, it is just a bill. But you did say that as I read a second time. But it shows the lack of security in elections that someone even thinks it is good for ID>

Quote:
The problem with a cutoff date for registration is that people who intend not to vote may change their mind last minute. Not sure you should be depriving people of that right. I think you just need more stringent regulations around the proof of eligibility. Stringent in what needs to be provided but also give plenty of assistance to people trying to provide it.

My answer for this is simple. TOUGH. They are not being deprived of the right, they did not exercise it on their own part. It is about being a grown-up and acting like one. I really do not care if someone too lazy to register is "disenfranchised." Same as if you do not pay your homeowner's insurance and your house burns down. It was one's own inaction that caused it.

That being said, I would prefer every USPS location have forms laid out. No cost to the USPS, the counties would set it up, and they have enough Mounties or other employees to make it easy to do. Otherwise, register 30 days before or you do not get to vote. Simple.
The President is a fink.
August 1st, 2018 at 10:04:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I do believe conservatives aren't clever enough to prove much of anything especially when it is not true.

What is there to "prove?" Every time an ID law is proposed we hear the same refrain from liberals about how minorities cannot manage to get an ID. That is your proof, all that is needed. Somehow they never say the same about Whites, though?

Quote:
And yet the last time I actually walked in the door of my bank was over 20 years ago. They haven't seen my Id, just my login. I could travel around the city I live in for years just riding the bus with no Id. Grocery stores still take cash. A retirement or disability pension comes automatically each month. Elders and young folks and disabled people sometimes live as dependents for years with family. Family takes care of the few id needs.

Like I said, you have to be a real hermit to manage without ID. The biggest thing is form I-9, filed on the first day of any new job since the 1980s. As to your other examples, if they want to vote, they need to get an ID. How hard is it? Or are you saying they are not intelligent enough to get one?

Quote:
Convenience is a favorite of many groups of people. Early voting is supposedly only favored for voter fraud. Not true.

Actually really true. Ballots unsecured for days or weeks. Polls open all day. Absentee ballots available. It is voting, not ordering a pizza. Somehow we managed 200+ years without early voting. Somehow people around the world often with much poorer transportation manage to do it.
The President is a fink.
August 1st, 2018 at 10:07:58 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: terapined
The last time I saw trump in Tampa was at the massive convention center in downtown Tampa

I had no idea that Tampa had so many followers of QAnon!

QAnon is a group of conspiracy theory nuts (see: Barr, Roseanne) that believe the Democrat Party in collaboration with the Jewish bankers, runs an international pedophilia ring controlled by Tom Hanks. They believe Mueller isn't really investigating Trump because in fact Trump pretended to collude with Russia as a pretense to hire Mueller to investigate Obama & George Soros, (and Tom Hanks) and John McCain is wearing a government issued ankle bracelet and the U.S. military convinced Trump to run for President, and eventually Trump is going to arrest all of the Deep State (especially Rod Rosenstein who is actually Heinrich Himmler's son) and send them to Guantanamo Bay with Tom Hanks.

It's complicated. Maybe Evenbob can explain it to us?

August 1st, 2018 at 11:03:54 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: reno
I had no idea that Tampa had so many followers of QAnon!

QAnon??????
I am very familiar with the Q but not QAnon
All hardcore deadheads know about the Q
Its short for "THE QUARTET" or the Q
Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead bass) put together a fantastic group of talented musicians that Deadheads always refer to as the "Q"

https://www.jambase.com/article/phil-lesh-friends-announce-the-q-birthday-celebration-at-the-cap